!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Flüfeld - Swiss based modern layout  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Dave_K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
Re: Flüfeld - Swiss based modern layout
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
@Leon  Thanks, fingers crossed all goes well! For years I have only been interested in UK trains always dismissing everything else as 'foreign stuff'. But as I travelled more in Europe in the last 20 years I naturally noticed the railways there and quite liked the orderly appearance of Switzerland in general - it appealed to my tidy and ordered way to thinking/approach to working.

A recent trip with my brother and two of our friends for a long weekend to Hamburg exposed me to more foreign freight and rail travel - even though we primarily went for Minitur Wunderland, which was amazing.

The following year we, 'the lads', (all nearly over 50, so hardly lads!!) spent a week in Switzerland as my brother knows more about the foreign scene than I do and I just loved the liveries and amount of freight you could see. A day at Pratteln reminded instantly of when I was as a kid standing at Reading station - long trains, not knowing what they were or when they would come but the actual 'excitement' of seeing something different.

As my (previously) layout still wasn't what I felt it could be, plus I'd spent best part of 4 months doing ballasting (which I hate), I decided to move to something new - new track system, new locos, new DCC and start again from scratch. And thus the journey has started.

As the for the tunnel - it would be wise to make it removable but in the mock ups you can see the back of the hill/mountain is not visible - here I plan to have an open frame support which will allow me to put my hand and arm in to remove any train that decides to go for a lie down. Things will become more obvious when I start building it!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
@Dave_K  if the trackwork is on an open frame bed within the tunnel, remember to fit some for of net to catch anything which goes for a running jump  :D  I trusted to luck for the first few years and had to re-assemble a couple of wagons every so often when they dived to the floor.  Fortunately no locos suffered.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
@ntpntpntp lol! Thanks Nick for the idea but I have already decided that as the tunnel needs something to sit on, it doesn't need to be part of the open frame design, so it will have the baseboard to sit upon and not give any opportunity for troublesome struck to fall into an open frame pit! Good idea though and thanks for mentioning it - things like that can be easily overlooked!

If you look at the photos above, you can see the flat end of the baseboard (by the wall) where the tunnel will eventually go - I have purposely left the board there and not cut it away - ignore the missing triangular corner bit, that will be reattached, it aided getting the board in the room in the first place!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Hi Dave. It's a pity that you have lost the open framework because of the warping problems.
It obviously depends on the way your timber has warped but would it not be possible to correct it by making some of your framework "L" shaped. I have found that this gives extra strength and in very resistant to further warping. Once strengthened in this way there would be no requirement to have the underside of the framework boxed in and the centre section wouldn't have to be removable. It might make things easier in the long term.
John

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
@swisstrains Hi John. Thanks for the idea. I had the wood indoors in the top room where the layout lives. I can only presume it was the recent hot weeks we had as the room gets direct sunlight and become very hot despite having curtains drawn. One of the main lengths twisted and the other bowed - as if they were deliberately telling me not to make another layout! So by screwing everything together I got it almost back to being true but wasn't 100% happy with it. I took the decision to screw it to the tables as by that point I had already worked out access to wiring would be much easier through a removable section rather than trying to lift up the entire layout to a 60 degree angle and work underneath it.

I don't expect to be accessing the wiring often, only if something goes wrong, so on the whole I don't think it's going to matter too much. Time will tell and lessons will be learned along the way no doubt!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
Sorry Dave for suggesting that you strengthen the framework. Despite you documenting it fully I had forgotten that you were now using a solid table to support the framework so access without lifting the layout still wouldn't have been possible. :-[
John

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »
I don't expect to be accessing the wiring often....

I'm probably unlike 99% of the people in this Forum. My interest is more process than product. When my layout is completed, I'll be finished. I've spent a lot of time to insure that my trains will run as planned. I've confirmed that they do, so I'm satisfied. I'll probably run them through their paces once or twice on the finished layout and then put them back into their boxes so that my children don't have to do it.  :)

Another of my interests is history. I don't retain a lot of what I've read, but I've had the gratification of learning much that I never knew about trains and railroads. It has been a good journey for me and I'll continue to enjoy the final chapter.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
No update just a 'thinking out loud' post...
In three weeks time I am due to go to Switzerland for a week with my brother. Although there is no official reason that I cannot go, the Swiss are allowing some EU people in without quarantining there. I am kind of wondering if it is the responsible thing to do. Quarantining when I return is compulsory and I am lucky that I work from home so theoretically not a big issue.
I'm sure the Swiss will add UK as being a 'high risk' before the end of the month so that'll solve my internal moral dilemma and I will spend my annual leave at home.

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2020, 10:29:11 PM »
Update: 06/09/20

All main board support batons are now in place, held with screwed in metal flat bars.

Main board painted grey and holes drilled for droppers and point motor wiring...

...and the same for the yard board.

Next step is sorting out the bus and wiring.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:18:41 PM by Dave_K »

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
Update: 07/09/20

Managed to make a start on the wiring. Having drawn out the plans for where the points and dropper holes will be beforehand makes it much easier. Started threading wiring through and running point cables out to one side where they will be all gathered together and plugged into point levers. The dropped will all eventually be spliced into the bus once pointwork is done.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:18:18 PM by Dave_K »

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
Update: 15/09/20

More wiring.

Yard section

Point switch wiring at gathered in one area.

Online Miek

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 08:32:18 PM »
Looks like good progress :)

What is the grey paint you are using on the boards? (I am planning a layout similar to yours - Always seem to be planning and never doing  :no: )

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 09:03:08 PM »
Looks like good progress :)

What is the grey paint you are using on the boards? (I am planning a layout similar to yours - Always seem to be planning and never doing  :no: )

Thanks, progress has been on and off, but momentum is still there.
The grey paint is 'Grey Slate' Matt emulsion from the 'Colours' range - a brand name of B&Q.

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
Hi Dave,

Not sure how I missed your layout thread but definitely following now! Have spent the last 20 minutes or so reading through your thread and enjoying the layout build. I'm also a Swiss railways fan and currently building a layout too.

Wondering if you have made it to Switzerland or not with your brother, if not, there are loads of great videos on Youtube of Pratteln station action for you to indulge in!

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy, I hope the thread wasn't too boring!
My brother and I are due to head out to Switzerland on Tuesday. I am still struggling with my conscience over whether it is a sensible thing to do given the current climate but as Switzerland are still allowing UK citizens to enter (although updates are usually on Monday so this could change) we are still planning to go. There will be quarantine when we return but as I WFH this is no issue for me. We are fully prepared if we have to scrap the visit for one reason or another, but hope we won't have to!

Regards,
Dave

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal