!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA  (Read 4177 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
But you’re well aware of the product now, and this thread started more than 6 months ago. so are you saying you’re not buying them because your budget is  now committed elsewhere, or on principal because they don’t post here much...?

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
Easy on the aggression there mate, not really necessary is it?
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2019, 06:35:17 PM »
Budget (probably over) committed elsewhere - to things that have a higher profile and are more in my consciousness than the PGA. I've been aware of the product for six months, but not always conscious of it.

I have 16 Farish PGAs. I wouldn't mind replacing them all and more with a newer better model. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »
The Farish model is certainly crying out for upgrade (and it’s a different variant) it’s why I’m surprised this one hasn’t been more popular.

To be fair it’s not exactly been shouted about anywhere, the OO gauge one clearly sold far better without needing the same level of promotion.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:24:33 PM by njee20 »

Offline RBE

• RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
Ok well this all got hostile pretty fast!

Lets keep the conversation on track I think. To answer the questions posed I feel that I maybe need to clarify our business currently. Firstly I would like to thank Mike for leaping to our defence. Very much welcome.

So to address our products. As an N gauge modeller myself I have been very keen to release great new models in 2mm as well as 4mm from day one.

All of our products we have presented so far have been as first released in 4mm followed by 2mm some time later. You have to realise that we are 2 guys who have families and work full time jobs and do Cavalex stuff in our spare time. In that spare time we have to push social media, post on forums, organise production and talk to factories and PR with retailers and magazines and also on top of this I do all of our design work in house. Its not a feet up exercise for sure.

As previously mentioned we did initially target RMWeb due to our familiarity with the community and perhaps more importantly that communities familiarity with myself and Alex. Since then though we have had a massive presence on Facebook, Twitter and our own site giving news and regular updates, we want to be as transparent at every stage as we can.

Following the success of the 4mm PGA we completed the design work on the 2mm version as promised and released it for pre-order. I also posted on here that the wagon was avilable and we had a lot of pre-orders placed. We have sadly though not achieved the required number so far to make the project viable and as such it cannot currently go ahead. It is our full intention to make all of our wagons and stock available in both scales but in order to do that we need the support of the N gauge community.

Granted we haven't posted much on here but we also haven't gotten to the pre-order stage with any other item of stock so far than the PGA wagon, which we have posted this thread on.

If you are reading this thread then you then have knowledge of us and thus the ability to visit our site see what we have to offer. You can choose to follow our facebook or twitter sites or sign up for our newsletter on our website. We have a big online presence which takes up a vast amount of our spare time, we are just not massively present on here currently in most part to the limited stock that we have for 2mm. To say we don't do PR is a little unfair I think.

We are trying to make the whole process of seeing our stuff and making orders much better moving forward but we cannot do that without the support of customers like yourselves, I have to say that I was dissappointed to read that we were being boycotted simply because we don't have a big presence on here. As was mentioned the PGA has been on here some time and our website outlines what our plans are moving forward.

We have recently started doing shows with our stand (we will be at Warley this year if anyone would like to come up and chat and maybe give us pointers at what 2mm modellers need to see from us to be invested in what we do).

Our biggest hurdle with 2mm so far are the retailers who are just not willing at all to invest in N gauge (approx 20% the sales of OO). With that in mind it is even more important that we get the publics support and we are quite upset that we have somehow obtained a bad reputation for PR on here where everywhere else you look we are viewed with high regard.

Whilst I agree that Mike and Ben do a great job with PR for Revolution, their business was started and focussed from day on on N gauge. Mike and Ben were also already big names in N gauge circles which already put them on your radar. They have both been a really great help to us during our infancy.

All I can say is that we are approachable guys and eager to answer questions so please message us or pop along to any of our shows and talk to us (we recently did DEMU). We are more than happy to talk.

Regards
Cav

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:09:51 PM by RBE »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
Global Moderator Comment Following Cav's explanatory post I'm almost tempted to lock the thread as the numbers aren't there for the project to proceed at present and to prevent bad feeling being expressed by some to the detriment of this thread. Please keep personal remarks to yourselves in future posts

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 05:27:41 AM »
thank you for the explanatory post cav, wishing you well in endeavours

Online Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
thank you for the explanatory post cav, wishing you well in endeavours
here here!

Hope all works out for you guys, it takes guts to make this sort of leap and we may not have been as helpful as we should have been.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »
 I have to say that I was dissappointed to read that we were being boycotted simply because we don't have a big presence on here.

Having reread the entire thread post by post, I can't find mention of any such boycott. Perhaps you read that on RMWeb(?). :D

I stand by my earlier comments about the importance of keeping a product in the customer's consciousness. I have a significant redundancy payment due me at the end of this month. Some will be spent on model trains. Some may be spent on Cavalex PGAs. I don't know - twenty days is nineteen more than my aging brain needs to forget something. I'm now signed up to the newsletter, so maybe there'll be a newsletter posted around payday to jog my memory. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Two quotes from yourself

"Well, IMHO regarding the PGA in N, either Cavalex ain't hitting their intended audience, or their audience ain't buying it. Example: I'm their intended audience (modelling 'British Era 8: 1982–1994 British Rail Sectorisation' onwards) and I ain't buying it."

And

"Despite the constant lament that we in N don't have all the products available we want, I find more available than I can afford. So those who market best will get my custom."

Both statements imply that you won't be buying Cavalex models whether thats how it was intended or not.

As I said, we have a massive PR presence that Will our PR guy is constamtly updating and forwarding on through various channels. Just not on here. That is the only difference and as said before we don't have a massive 2mm range yet so until that is the case its difficult to push on here and be relevant. I admit we maybe could remind people more but there is a fine line between reminding people and pestering for sales.

By your own admission Bachmann and Dapol dont advertise here either. The issue with us to be fair has been a lack of interest from retailers in N, they just won't touch it, which is a shame I think. The guy at Hattons even said they don't do N as it doesn't sell, which is clearly rubbish as I pretty much buy all my stock from there if I'm after new stuff. But thats what we are dealing with.

To attack us and claim that we are whining about not getting orders is plain silly in my view. We certainly aren't whining beyond our disire to provide our models in N gauge as well as OO. We are doing well enough in OO to not even bother with N and if the retailers are to be believed we are better off not bothing with N at all as the sales aren't there. I'd like to think thats not true.

As an N gauge modeller myself I see the benefit of the scale and would love to provide access of the models to the people modelling in 2mm but ultimately its the modeller who will decide what we release in this scale as without the support of the N gauge community we simply cannot justify the time and cost involved in producing N gauge stock.

Maybe the PGA is too niche a wagon to sell well in N who knows but as our first 2mm model we are gauging our potential in N moving forward on how people react to it and presently it is not encouraging for us. Which is a shame I think.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
Moderator Comment I really don't think as an N Gauge forum, we are doing anybody any favours here. Let's give this a chance or the thread will be closed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:27:22 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Maybe the PGA is too niche a wagon to sell well in N who knows but as our first 2mm model we are gauging our potential in N moving forward on how people react to it and presently it is not encouraging for us. Which is a shame I think.

I think the N gauge client base really need it spelled out to them what the wagon does, when it was in service, where it went. And quite often too. I've noticed that they dont go back on a thread to look for the information that has already been provided.
A lot of modellers don't have in depth knowledge of particular locos let alone wagons - whereas there are a lot more "knowledgeable" folk on RM-Web and Southern Email Group, for instance. Again it's probably down to membership size.

In N we do need a new PGA, as we also need a new HEA, and VBA, and PCA tanks...
but I'm particularly after a new Yeoman PGA, and I can see why you would not be offering one of those, as the OO market is already covered.

There really was no intention to berate you other than to say this community can be quite needy when it comes to information :)

Best
Bob

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
Thanks for that Bob.

There is an extensive background documentation section on our website if you would like to research where these wagons have run and in what rakes/motive power etc. We are very keen to give as much info as we can on all models that we produce.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
I really don't think as an N Gauge forum, we are doing anybody any favours here.

Let's give this a chance or the thread will be closed.

I agree take a look at this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48871456

The Trolls flush with resent success may be moving on to Cavalex

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »
Well due to a lack of interest this has been cancelled along with any other Cavalex wagons that may have been done in N Gauge.

The CL91 & MK4's stay for now.

I received a newsletter this afternoon from Cavalex with the news.

I think this is a great pity, but as Cavalex inadvertently let every recipient see the mailing list I am not surprised.

The number of people signed up was significantly less than 100, just goes to show how hard it is to get the message out to the N Gauge community.

Also the fact that I am the first to post about this reinforces the lack of interest. (I'm usually one of the last to post as I'm in the US)

Bit of a wake up call for us all here I think.

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here