!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
Re: Cavalex PGA
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
Provided we get the level of pre orders to make the wagon possible.

We have been very disappointed by the uptake on these to be honest, I thought that they would sell like hot cakes. Whether its because of christmas and new year I don't know but our 4mm BBA is selling really well.

As a 2mm modeller myself I really want to get our 2mm stuff off the ground as it will actually give me a chance to run our stuff on my layout, we have already paid for the design on this to be done so would be a waste I feel if not followed through.

That’s a real shame, personally it’s just finances stopping my order atm

I wonder if it’s a result of lots of other projects / announcements being made in the last few months? Maybe people are “pre-order saturated” (I made that up)?

I have no real answer, like I said I am just skint

Skyline2uk

Offline RBE

• Trade Count: (0)
    • RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 10:32:28 AM »
Understandable. We aren't trying to force people into orders.

We do seem to have over estimated 2mm scale demand though for sure.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
I have expressed my interest in a small number of these PGAs mainly because I had an association with them stretching over 30 years of my railway career, starting with the planning of the train services from Mountsorrel in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

I think that there is a bit of wagon "pre-order" fatigue around, and I have been pondering on the size of my pre-orders for these PGAs (EOI), HOAs(pre-ordered), PCAs (ordered), Sturgeons, Cemflos, etc. etc.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
I suspect the answer is people are unaware of it - I'd like to think of myself as being fairly in the loop on announcements but I'd completely missed that the N gauge version was on sale until Cav posted on here on 31/12/18.

Thinking out loud, I'm wondering a few things that might explain low take up:
- is it clear enough to people that this won't happen without sufficient orders
- do retail orders count and how do retailers feedback their orders - we've not really cracked that with Revolution yet
- is there enough of a differentiation between the discount price and RRP? If not then are people hanging back and waiting to purchase from retailers.
- is there a clear deadline?

The N gauge market is much smaller than OO in our experience.

Cheers Mike

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Firstly thankyou Woodbury for your order!

Secondly. Mike I see your points, maybe things aren't prodominantly clear however I think the website spells these things out.

It may just be down to visability. Maybe these weren't quite so publisised as the 4mm version. As you said, you had missed them.

Needless to say, I am more than keen to get some 2mm versions of these moving, and tbh the take upnon these may end up dictating whether we pursue 2mm at all moving forward.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
Sadly Redland PGAs were noticeable by their absence in the NW of England in the late 1980s, otherwise I'd place an order. With a young family and current prices I can't justify getting new models just because they look nice (although getting a few to sell on later is an option).

If you were to reduce the BBA to N gauge then I'd be after a rake of them....

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
You are right. It may just be the subject matter.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »
I want some. I need some! But with a big order just gone into Shapeways to beat their price hikes, and the RevolutioN HOA early-bird deadline today, my wallet is suffering bad. :uneasy:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
The Cavalex PGAs in Lafarge livery are a perfect complement to our forthcoming HOAs (hopefully we should have the first samples in the not too distant future)!

Cheers Mike

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »
The Cavalex PGAs in Lafarge livery are a perfect complement to our forthcoming HOAs (hopefully we should have the first samples in the not too distant future)!

Cheers Mike

That's exactly why I need some! :'( My bank manager says you're all evil. :help:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »
Yep, that's where mine are destined too! Mixed in with some JGAs for good measure.

Offline Railbank

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
to add my thoughts on this project.

I think that one of the issues with the pre-orders attaining critical mass is that if all that subscribers are ordering are small numbers to mix in with other offerings such as HOA's or JGA's then the fact is you are going to need lots more subscribers to achieve the same result as fewer appear to be going for longer rakes and given the lower numbers of N gauge modellers out there this is adding to the difficulties.

I also think that pre-orders for say Revolution wagons tend to favour subscribers ordering decent length rakes, I know I do and several posters appear to suggest this also, this is leaving less additional discretionary spend across the modern n gauge market, also the £ outlay verses the physical amount of wagon you get on the layout would suggest that the market favours bogie type wagons at relatively little extra cost verses a 2 axle type. (I now almost never buy new 2 axle GF wagons as they just do not seem value for money).

I have considered subscribing to the proposed PGA's but I am heavily committed to the Revolution offerings - KFA's - fortunately 100% paid for, HOA's, Sturgeons and Class 92's so much as I would like them I just cannot justify the commitment.

The other important factor I think is the presence of retailer sales, I just do not think that this mixed approach works - firstly wanting sufficient private subscribers to justify the go ahead and financially commit when as an alternative you can just wait until retail sales begin and decide/pay when they are in stock, it's no outlay and no risk. Some crowd funder type projects appear to be going this way and it is now making me think why take the risk, if the retail market wants a product it will happen, if it doesn't then clearly there is insufficient commercial demand and you should try pure crowdfunding.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »

Hi all,

I hope this model generates enough interest to go ahead.

I know some of us model a particular location in a particular era, others are more relaxed and are happy to model accurate trains and others will just run anything that takes their fancy.

When we are marketing (or selecting) Revolution models we often emphasise that they can work well with items customers may already own, or be thinking of buying. 

In this spirit, can I suggest that it might be worth bearing in mind that not only do the Cavalex hoppers go well with NGS JGAs or Revolution HOAs, but also the very recently announced Farish HKAs in DB red - see here: https://flic.kr/p/qWZtuC - a very attractive mixed train.

We have also found that while the forums are great, editorial exposure in the mainstream magazines and chatting to potential customers at exhibitions is also really helpful.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »

Hi all,

I hope this model generates enough interest to go ahead.

I know some of us model a particular location in a particular era, others are more relaxed and are happy to model accurate trains and others will just run anything that takes their fancy.

When we are marketing (or selecting) Revolution models we often emphasise that they can work well with items customers may already own, or be thinking of buying. 

In this spirit, can I suggest that it might be worth bearing in mind that not only do the Cavalex hoppers go well with NGS JGAs or Revolution HOAs, but also the very recently announced Farish HKAs in DB red - see here: https://flic.kr/p/qWZtuC - a very attractive mixed train.

We have also found that while the forums are great, editorial exposure in the mainstream magazines and chatting to potential customers at exhibitions is also really helpful.

cheers

Ben A.

I think the point about modelling by era affects a lot of us.  Personally I model by specific trains, so correct locomotive and matching rolling stock.  This is probably as my main running is on a club layout that is era generic,

I don't mind if my 1930's kettle pulling an express rake of coaches passes a class 66 in DB red pulling something modern, my train in itself is correct and that's what matters.

the upside is my buying is era agnostic.  If I can form an authentic train or set of trains (I have a lot of Dutch engineering stock and several locos for example) and it appeals to me I will collect it.

Offline Branchie

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
Hi Cav.
The renders look great and I hope they are successful. Unfortunately they're not suitable for where and when I model, so I can't justify an order.

Please persevere with the 2mm range as I really want some BBA wagons. As I've said elsewhere, I'd want at least 10 of those 😉

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything