!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cavalex Models Redland/Lafarge PGA  (Read 1960 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Cavalex PGA
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 08:32:12 PM »
Its a very nice model to have but at £25 its a few pounds too expensive to contemplate a long rake on a price per inch basis.

Hi there,

I think judging a model purely on a "price per inch" basis is a little narrow.

These PGAs are, as has been said before, very useful models and as far as I can tell will feature similarly high levels of detail to Cavalex's very well received 4mm models.

These details are the same no matter what length of wagon.  It is also worth bearing in mind that the overall production run numbers have a very significant bearing on prices - if you're amortising tooling costs then there's a big difference in unit cost between selling 2000 models and 4000.

I have ordered a few to mix in with NGS JGAs, older style Farish PGAS and Farish JGAs as this is how I used to see them running near me in Cambridgeshire before the HOAs took over.

I hope this model succeeds, as it will (a) bring a new manufacturer into the N gauge market and (b) be a very useful model in its own right and (c) possibly prompt the scaling down of other Cavalex models such as the BBA steel carrier.

Cheers

Ben A.

I made my comment having reserved my four and reflecting my thought process in deciding what quantity I was going to buy.  I don't think I will be alone. 

By comparison I bought 18 class B tankers at c£20 each and they were new CAD not re scaled versions of a successful model already produced.  Surely this should have reduced their cost.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
You don't generally reduce CAD as tolerances and smallest details don't scale well. It gives some advantage but CAD is cheap so the overall impact is small.

If we were doing the Class Bs now I suspect they would be more like £25 anyway - modified: I forgot that the MSRP of the Class Bs is £26.95.

As Ben says the quantity you expect to sell has a big impact on price (as well as the complexity of the design/tooling/assembly, complexity of decoration and which factory you use).

Personally I'm delighted that Cavalex are doing these in N. I'd completely missed that they had gone on sale, but I'll get an order in now.

Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:13:57 AM by red_death »

Offline simong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Could someone please advise if any of the liveries whould have been in use in the early 1980s.  Thanks

Offline RBE

• RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
The redland with grey stripe was prevalent in the early 80s. The grey was then omitted in the mid 80s.

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »
Could someone please advise if any of the liveries whould have been in use in the early 1980s.  Thanks

Cavalex Models have got a couple of pdf files on there website with information on prototype train formations/dates 

Part One covers the British Rail period 1982-1994
Part Two covers Post Privatisation period 1996- 2017

http://cavalexmodels.com/?page_id=47

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »
I'd like to support this model (mainly in the hope of getting some BBAs). Unfortuntaly train loads of these PGAs didn't run up north - except upon delivery as I believe they were built by Standard Wagon in Lancashire. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Has anyone got/found photos show any number of these in speedlink trains?

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
Has anyone got/found photos show any number of these in speedlink trains?

I believe if ky mememory serves me correctly, a few rakes of these found their ways on to the Tunstead - Lostock Works (Northwich) services for a period after the original ICI wagons were withdrawn.
They were on there for about 18 months IIRC but with the hours they ran some of thw trains there was lota of conplaints due to the noise as wagons bounce past.
Generally they were hauled by class 60, but alao tgey trailed them with 59s and at least once with a 47!

So I know they were PGA wagons but cannot say for 100% certain they were tye same variant but I beleive so, sadly was too young to be able to realise what variant and no camera on the way to school

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

Hello all,

I have tracked down some photos of these wagons in use on Redland/Lafarge trains running through Manea and Barway, not far from where I live in Cambridgeshire.

This shot shows the Farish type JGA mixed in, plus some of the PGAs as the former Farish model:

In this train the bogie wagon two from the loco is a curved sided JGA as depicted in the NGS kit:

Here the third PGA has the deflectors fitted over the end frame, while the others around it do not. All have had their inspection catwalks and ladders removed:

Another shot of a Farish style JGA mixed in:

I do think these are good looking wagons, and they certainly make for nice varied trains in an era of fairly unform block freights:

I hope these images will encourage some waverers to sign up, it would be a pity if this opportunity passed us by!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
I hope you get this through. I would order some but they were constructed at least a decade after any period that I would ever decide to do, a great shame really as they are lovely looking wagons.

good luck
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
Do you model the 60s?

Anyway a couple more recent renders.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »

Do you model the 60s?

Primarily I model 1930's but I am acquiring rolling stock to create one or two smaller industrial layouts in addition to the 1930's layout. One will definitely be a steel mill or foundry set in the mid 60's yes, I am finding myself becoming a bit partial to industrial loco's and green diesels recently.

Lovely renders above
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
I wonder if the collective could educate me (again!)?

I have in mind to model the class 60 test train(s) as a long term project. Test Coach 6 and 60001 / 2 aside; I have some Farish Redland “PGA” hoppers.

I did once find a photo of the test formation, but I am struggling now. Can anybody tell me if the Redland wagons used for that test were of the type being offered by Cavalex or would the (I suspect generic) Farish ones be roughly the right shape?

Skyline2uk

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi Skyline,

I mangaged to find this written account however no pics.

The text states PCA but that is a typo. They were PGA's. As it states that they were redland hoppers then they could only have been the ones we produce or the other type like this.

No one produces these as yet but they are slightly similar to the farish version. The train was likely a mixture of the two types but without photo evidence I can't say for sure.

HTH
Cav

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
 :thankyousign:

Thanks for the effort Cav ( @RBE ), I won’t feel too bad about using the Farish ones for now.

If there was a mix of exact types, to be honest that’s probably the best outcome as it will allow me to obtain some of yours as well in due course  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Offline RBE

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
Provided we get the level of pre orders to make the wagon possible.

We have been very disappointed by the uptake on these to be honest, I thought that they would sell like hot cakes. Whether its because of christmas and new year I don't know but our 4mm BBA is selling really well.

As a 2mm modeller myself I really want to get our 2mm stuff off the ground as it will actually give me a chance to run our stuff on my layout, we have already paid for the design on this to be done so would be a waste I feel if not followed through.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything