!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A bit of a quandary  (Read 173 times)

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
A bit of a quandary
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
I now have my timber, layout plan, track and some stock ready to go. On my workbench I have a couple of white metal loco kits and wagons in various stages of prep for my chosen prototype. I found some coaches on the 2mm site that I'd like to run, so joined them. I then found a scratch build for a Y14, a particular favourite of mine, so I thought I could build it to n gauge standards, but reading on here implies the 2mm loco wheels will not work on n gauge points due to the thickness differences, can anyone confirm that this is the case and n gauge loco wheels are not available?
So do I go fully 2mm fs or forget the idea of scratch building steam loco chassis and hope my missing locomotives will be produced one day? Is there a database anywhere of commercial loco chassis showing wheelbase and diameter and chassis dimensions (tender drives too) that would help those wanting to fill the gaps left by the manufacturers?

Gary

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
Re: A bit of a quandary
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Gary

I did some playing around with an 0-6-0 chassis I built using 2mm Association wheels on some hand-built track that I had made. I found that provided the wing rail and check rail gaps were around 0.7-0.8mm that the loco would run through albeit with a bit of a bump. Gaps such as these would require a wheel back to back of 7.5-7.7mm for ready to run N Gauge locos and other rolling stock which might be pushing it a bit. I don't think you would be able to run 2mm Association wheels through normal (e.g. Peco 55) N Gauge track or even through kit built Finetrax points (which have gaps of 1.0mm)

As far as I know N Gauge steam loco wheels are not available separately.

Richard

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: A bit of a quandary
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
Hi Richard,
Thanks for replying, it's good to hear from someone who has tried to do this. I guess I'll stick with the N gauge and hope I can find a suitable donor chassis some time in the future, I've got plenty to be getting on with.

Gary

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything