!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tadpoles, 2BILs and Wokingham Station  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Tadpoles, 2BILs and Wokingham Station
« on: December 27, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
This is a new thread for a large club project that has been under way for some time.  I am posting it now as the Layout "Wokingham Station" will have is first outing as a "how to build a layout demonstration" at (Our) The Berkshire Area Group N Gauge soc. Opend Day and show on the 30th March 2019.

The layout will feature an immediately post nationalisation rendition of Wokingham Station, its immediate environment and featuring its famous bridge, the model of which won two classes at the NGS AGM this year.  I will be posting lots of photos soon, however to kick things off here are a few shots of the custom builds of the 2BILs and Tadpoles that will feature on the layout.

As you will see the bodies are brass etch from Worsley Works and the roofs and bogie sides are 3D prints, the CAD for which was provided by @AR, and the power is provided by Tomix units with the bogies mixed and matched to give the correct bogie spacing and sizes.

the layout itself is 16ft long and 3ft deep with two running tracks and an end to end freight line.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:01:14 PM by Snowwolflair »

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tadpoles, 2BILs and Wokingham Station
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
Looks impressive. I'd be interested in more information regarding the brass kits please.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:39:03 PM »
Looks impressive. I'd be interested in more information regarding the brass kits please.

They are semi-kits so fold up coach floors ends and sides with under frame,  the rest you have to figure out for yourself.  If you have never made this type of model before then buy a generic coach kit from Worsley and try to build it before embarking on a more complicated model to be motorised.

This link may help  http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=12647&forum_id=150&jump_to=222341

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »
@GrahamB

Yes scratch aid kits can be a little challenging especially when there is no part to finish off something like a cab roof.

That's when the individuals modeling skills are tested, the challenge for me is to construct this kit without using hardly any epoxies or resin fillers!

As Snowwolflair has already mentioned start with something a little basic, bearing in mind that most coaches will have tumblehome which means that the etch brass kits you purchase are flat brass sheets and you will have to bend/form the sides before any soldering!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
Filling and adding detail.  This just takes time to get a good result.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:44:36 PM »
I spent tonight watching films, filling and sanding and I'm quite pleased with the results.

The three Tadpoles just need some end detail and they will be ready to paint.

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 01:06:28 AM »
Lovely family pic !  From these grow live frog points - off to get my coat ! Lovely work.

I am sure they will miniature perfection - unlike the real things ! But they were a great example of the SR "sweating the assets "  before the phrase was invented. I enjoyed? several trips on these beasts.   

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 01:12:21 AM »
Lovely family pic !  From these grow live frog points - off to get my coat ! Lovely work.

I am sure they will miniature perfection - unlike the real things ! But they were a great example of the SR "sweating the assets "  before the phrase was invented. I enjoyed? several trips on these beasts.   

Thank you, my only problem whit these is finding photos of them in their green livery so if anyone can help it would be appreciated. 

there is a way to go yet but getting the structures correct with a smooth undercoat is half the battle.  With any luck I will be able to bend brass wire for handles etc. and N-Brass are about to get an order for buffers. :D

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
With any luck I will be able to bend brass wire for handles etc. and N-Brass are about to get an order for buffers. :D

If its of any help about 5 years ago 'SouthernBoy' bought a sheet of etched LNER handles from 'Etched Pixels' for the LSWR 3-Sub's that he built.

This is one of 'Southernboy's' picture's of the coach handles that was posted on another forum.

Southernboy's N gauge LSWR 3-Sub pg4

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
this is what I need to make and .35mm brass wire is perfect with a jig to fold them around.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 12:11:17 AM »
The 2BILs have now been undercoated, so time to let the paint cure.

Next task is to drill out any holes blocked with paint for the handles.  Next will be a coat of white then yellow for the warning patches on the ends, masking them and then a coat of BR SR Green and grey for the roofs.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »

Thank you, my only problem whit these is finding photos of them in their green livery so if anyone can help it would be appreciated. 

A hour search has revealed nothing in green, but this site might help for roof detailing if you intend it........
http://www.bloodandcustard.com/tadpoles001.html

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

A hour search has revealed nothing in green, but this site might help for roof detailing if you intend it........
http://www.bloodandcustard.com/tadpoles001.html

Yes that's a good link, it's where I got the roof details.  I'm slowly getting enough information together to get the paint correct and I'm beginning to figure out the transfers.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
In parallel to preparing the rolling stock the scenery is starting to be addressed.  Wokingham District Planning website is a feast of information, particularly scale drawings submitted with planning applications.  From this information, aerial photos and photographs, basic structures can be created, and can be digitised to be cut by laser in card to prove a design and 1mm MDF for final construction.

The buildings are going to be grouped on build plates including the surrounding gardens and can therefore be worked on by members at home.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:38 PM »
Progress

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00