!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Powering Kato DC Layout - where to join power?  (Read 231 times)

Offline Supertommymooney

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Powering Kato DC Layout - where to join power?
« on: December 21, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
Hi all

I am setting up the following Kato layout after Christmas.

Planning to use the No.6 turnouts as shown.

My question, as a newbie, is where to add the power connections? I am planning to buy terminal unijoiners to go with the one power supply track that comes with set M1. I then have a kato 3 way splitter to plug these into (24-827); and might need another (or 2 more, assuming you can keep connecting them back to each other).

I know both loops need separate power due to the double crossover.

I don't mind if the sidings aren't all powered all the time, useful to store locos in if not in use.

I might add a second controller to control each loop separately later on.

The siding far left is off scene and to use for cassettes.

Any tips would be great, thanks!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Powering Kato DC Layout - where to join power?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
As a first stab, something like this maybe?   Following the basic rule of feeding power at the toe of point formations.

Some of the feeds don't have to be exactly where I've put them as long as they're effectively the same length of track.

I think you may need some isolating joiners where I've put the red lines, but I'm not a regular user of Unitrack so not 100% sure?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:18:07 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
If you are planning on running in DC, there is no need for isolating sections if using one single controller - you can really only have one engine on the layout. With the power feeds as shown by ntp, you have four sections and the whole of the layout is live when power is provided. However, if you used isolating switches with each of the power feeds, you can control which part of the layout is live. (Simple on/off switches are all you need). My layout is capable of DC or DCC running and is split into six isolated sections. When on DC, I can control which part of the layout is live and therefore, which engine, (out of a possible six on the layout), is powered. I hope that makes sense and that I have got my facts right!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
Thanks - that's helpful - I am still not sure if I need any isolation at all with one controller, possibly not?

I will give it a try and see how I go.

I think the Kato points would allow me to effectively isolate an engine in a siding just by switching the points so I should be able to use 2 locos in that way if I'm right, just one at a time.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
The reason I suggested isolating joiners on the crossovers is not just about the number of controllers (though indeed that would be a reason to have them), but more to do with back-feeding power into a point from the frog end.  With live frog points that will cause a short circuit,  and even with dead frogs it can sometimes cause problems with open blades being live and causing shorts.

It'll probably be fine without when using Unitrack, but just be prepared to add them at those places if necessary.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
As long as you get the polarity of the feeds correct, you don’t need insulated joiners.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
Thanks guys!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything