!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SR Leader using Dapol Q1 chassis  (Read 464 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
SR Leader using Dapol Q1 chassis
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
A last minute Christmas delivery from Shapeways is the newly released prints for an N SR Leader.  This is probably one of the most unusual steam locos built and in my view its ugliness is second only to the class 66.

The print has five parts which I will need to modify with my choice of mechanisation.   The print is designed to work with the Tomytec shorty mechanisms and for this means of power is very well thought out.  However as the Leader had 5ft wheels of the Bullied style (not 3ft discs) and as it makes a difference in running characteristics I will need to modify the bogies and their mountings.

Here is the layout of the chassis I plan to use.

I had to solve the drive before I ordered it and as you will see I have reversed the worm gear and drive on the Q1 chassis and started to cut away unnecessary parts.  I will eventually build a pivoting structure above the motor once I have figured out how much space I have to do this.

The print is very clean and accurate, and should make a very nice model.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: SR Leader using Dapol Q1 chassis
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
A last minute Christmas delivery from Shapeways is the newly released prints for an N SR Leader.  This is probably one of the most unusual steam locos built and in my view its ugliness is second only to the class 66.

I think you've forgotten about Bulleid's Turfburner - which brought a whole new meaning to the term pig-ugly  :D

When you've nearly finished the Leader, don't forget to include the poor fireman leaning out of the side, gasping for breath - and the driver if you run it smokebox first.

As I understand it, the Leader was innovative, ugly, fuel-hungry and far from popular with the crews.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »

I think you've forgotten about Bulleid's Turfburner - which brought a whole new meaning to the term pig-ugly  :D

When you've nearly finished the Leader, don't forget to include the poor fireman leaning out of the side, gasping for breath - and the driver if you run it smokebox first.

As I understand it, the Leader was innovative, ugly, fuel-hungry and far from popular with the crews.

Oh yes but the turf burner was a Leader Mk2 so I class the two together  :D

My model will have sound (care of YouChoos) not smoke - unless I wire up something wrong  :goggleeyes:

the prototypes were a complete disaster, the result of an obsessive idea no one wanted, but they went ahead  :-X

Next stage is a bit of thinking and a bit of experimenting on the bogie mountings. 8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
And to think perfectly decent looking Q1s were sacrificed to create this monster. Truly Frankensteinian indeed.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »
And to think perfectly decent looking Q1s were sacrificed to create this monster. Truly Frankensteinian indeed.

Strictly speaking in real life it was only the wheels, for this model they are two "user mangled" seconds purchased on eBay, but as the first thing to do for this model is throw away the con rods who cares  :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:44:55 PM by Snowwolflair »

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Hi there

Did you get the body, bogies and interiors in smooth or smoothest detail plastic? The video seems to make it look like childs play using the designed chassis (which i know are underside in terms of wheel diameters but are nicely hidden behind the bogie gubbins.

This is just what the doctor ordered for a rainy day in January :)

Best
Bob

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Hi there

Did you get the body, bogies and interiors in smooth or smoothest detail plastic? The video seems to make it look like childs play using the designed chassis (which i know are underside in terms of wheel diameters but are nicely hidden behind the bogie gubbins.

This is just what the doctor ordered for a rainy day in January :)

Best
Bob

Body and bogies in the smoothest, interior and bunker in smooth.  The bogie hangers are printed in their nylon, which I guess you could get in black.

Online Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
Rainy days in January morphed into February...never mind.
Have been enjoying playing with this 3D kit.

I have two questions for the illuminati of this forum.

1. The kit is powered by two Tometec 01 chassis (basically a Bo bogie) which while smooth runners, fly at very high speed and I suspect are 3v motors rather than 12v motors. I also want to wire them together to aid power pickup across the length of the loco, and avoid drop outs over frogs. Any suggestions regarding the resistor I should use to regulate these motors a little, and how to wire it up?

2. The leader was finished in a prototype grey livery with mixed traffic lining and early crest. I don't like the grey look and as I model mostly late crest era, I wondered if I could apply some modellers licence and assume the five Leader prototypes were built and continued in service for a few years. If they did, what colour scheme would they have been decorated in? I have seen many lined green models of Leader but only one mock up in lined black. I would have thought that the loco, as a tank loco replacement, would have been either lined black or unlined black? What do you think? I quite fancy a lined black early crest 36002. Early Bulleid and Ivatt diesels were black with silver bands, and were then painted green, so it looks like people have assumed it would be treated like a diesel...

Bob

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
1. The kit is powered by two Tometec 01 chassis (basically a Bo bogie) which while smooth runners, fly at very high speed and I suspect are 3v motors rather than 12v motors.

Try using inverse parallel diode strings rather than resistors.  They're more efficient and don't heat up like a resistor does.  Each diode drops the voltage by around 0.8V so trial-and-error to find how many to bring the speed down to what you want.

I had to replace a Bemo railcar chassis with a Tomytech TM-23 recently, and of course the Tomy is smooth but rather fast at any given voltage. Not usually a problem but as the railcar runs on my automated shuttle system along with other units I needed to tame it a bit.
I used SMD diodes equivalent to 1N4007, 4 in each direction arranged as 2 strings either side of the motor so they tucked nicely into a space where I'd lengthened the chassis. The diodes cost 99p for 100 so I have enough for other projects!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:00:47 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
Bumpy bump… did this mod get anywhere, David?

Best
Bob

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
Bumpy bump… did this mod get anywhere, David?

Best
Bob

Its been waiting for my new printer (along with a few other projects) as I need to create a sub-frame.  Probably an Autumn start along with picking up with my LNER  U1 build.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here