!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish prairie repair  (Read 674 times)

Offline ColinR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish prairie repair
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
I've had to overhaul my prairie (Poole manufacture) and testing at each stage. Motor assembled but have a problem - connecting power to the right hand ( facing front) pickup and to the top brush housing clip, motor works perfectly in both directions but when I connect the lead to the left hand pickup instead of the brush housing nothing works. Any ideas?

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Farish prairie repair
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
have you cleaned up and checked the pickups for damage, incorrect setting? with the age of your Loco it might have the very early pickups which are short on the 'tangs' and dont have the 'spring give' of the later pickups.
without having a Poole loco in my hands, one set of pickups rests directly on the chassis and is clamped up when the bottom retainer strip is fitted. on old locos you need to fibreglass brush both the chassis and the brass pickup clean of blackness, a careful scrape with a stanley blade also works. the other pick up takes its electric path up the 8BA long thread (is it 8 or 10? cant remember) and the top insulated wire to the top brush holder takes the electric to the carbon brush.
Ive just been sorting an early 3 pole Farish Black 5 changing it to a 5 pole so ive just been through all the contact cleaning and setting.

does this help?

Offline ColinR

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
Many thanks for the info. I've realised that the problem lies with the insulated wire. I presume this must come into contact with the top brush holder. Is this put underneath the brush holder clip or soldered to the clip?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
Is this put underneath the brush holder clip

Yes, underneath, wrapping around the cylindrical holder.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline ColinR

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
Many thanks - problem solved,

Offline ColinR

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »
Further problems with my Prairie! On odd occasions a con rod slips off a drive wheel. Any thoughts as to an underlying cause?
The drive wheels and con rods were all new about 6 months ago.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
Adjust the rods so they are straight, or slightly bend them in to ensure they keep engaged. No underlying problem other than poor adjustment.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal