!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hornby Select walkabout  (Read 270 times)

Offline norfolkguy83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hornby Select walkabout
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:21:09 PM »
Good afternoon all. Just a quick question. I bought a Hornby Select walkabout (not realising it was a walkabout as I'm very new to DCC) I didn't realise when I bought it that  it didn't have a power pack/adapter. If I bought a power pack for this could it be used on its own without being plugged into the Select. Or does it have to be used with the select.
Thanks
Andy 🙂
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:22:53 PM by norfolkguy83 »
Andy :)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Hornby Select walkabout
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
Not sure I understand the question. The power pack for the Select is just a wall plug, what do you mean could you use it on its own? What for? Powering other things?

Offline norfolkguy83

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
Sorry njee20 what I mean can I use the Select walkabout on its own without a Select.. Or are they both the same. This would to run trains..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:41:45 PM by norfolkguy83 »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
Ah, gotcha! I don't believe the walkabout can be used a standalone controller - it's a slave to the Select.

Offline norfolkguy83

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
Ok thanks.. I will have to save up and get the Select 🙂

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
As I understand the handbook the only difference between a Select and Select walkabout is the select is supplied with a power pack so if you connect a power pack to the walkabout it should work. the power pack is a 15v DC 1amp supply, but any 15v DC supply with a 6.5mm plug should be OK.
Diane Tape

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
Ok thanks.. I will have to save up and get the Select 🙂

That would be the *last* thing I'd suggest.   The Select is, at best, a poor system. 

If you need more hardware, then buy something which is decent. 
If short on budget, then there's probably something second hand which is decent. 
If really short on budget, and can't build your own electronics, then don't bother and stick with DC.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »
As I understand the handbook the only difference between a Select and Select walkabout is the select is supplied with a power pack so if you connect a power pack to the walkabout it should work. the power pack is a 15v DC 1amp supply, but any 15v DC supply with a 6.5mm plug should be OK.

That's not how I read the blurb on Hornby's page?  Rather, the walkabout is simply an additional throttle that has to be plugged into a Select or Elite and gets its power from the main system (it doesn't have a power input socket)

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc-select-walkabout.html

I agree with @Nigel Cliffe , don't waste any more money on a Select.  The walkabout unit appears to be out of stock and discontinued according to the Hornby page above, perhaps the Select itself is also discontinued? (also out of stock @ Hornby).  There are better systems out there. 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline norfolkguy83

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
Which DCC system would you say is best then Hornby.. I always thought Gaugemaster Prodigy is a good system.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
Which DCC system would you say is best then Hornby.. I always thought Gaugemaster Prodigy is a good system.

Oooh you'll get loads of opinions about this!   

Personally I'm an NCE guy, have had a 10 amp system for my garden line for years, and also a PowerCab for my lad's HOe narrow gauge (can use the PowerCab as another throttle on the big system). I like a proper handheld throttle with knobs and buttons, not the newer phone/tablet based systems (but others love that of course)   I should add I don't run DCC in n gauge (though do have 3 or 4  DCC fitted N locos), but HOe is close enough!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:48:19 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
These reviews may be of interest

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106867-dcc-controller-list-basic-review-by-owners/

If interested, I have an old model Fleischmsnn Profi Boss hand held controller & PSU going cheep!

Pm me if interested ( more details Sunday when I get back)

Manual here

https://www.jkmodel.dk/Manualer/PROFI_BOSS_English.pdf

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 06:53:50 PM »

Oooh you'll get loads of opinions about this!   

Personally I'm an NCE guy, have had a 10 amp system for my garden line for years, and also a PowerCab for my lad's HOe narrow gauge (can use the PowerCab as another throttle on the big system). I like a proper handheld throttle with knobs and buttons, not the newer phone/tablet based systems (but others love that of course)   I should add I don't run DCC in n gauge (though do have 3 or 4  DCC fitted N logos), but HOe is close enough!

It depends!!

What functionality do you want?
Basic speed
Lights
Digital sound control
Loco location information
Signal /  point control

Lots and lots of buttons

Screen/ mouse control

Computer control

Tablet/ mobile as controller

Costs - £60- £600 for controller

DCC chips 20£-£40
Sound chips £70-£120
+ loco cost

Suggest you read as many DCC threads on the board as you can,  visit some shops for demos, and also,exhibitions to see DCC in action.

DCC Board
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=8.0

Rule 2 don’t buy Bachmann DCC
Rule 3 don’t buy hornby dcc
Rule 4 go to 2

NickR
Z21 enthusiast
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:58:13 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »
In my view, forget anything with the words Hornby or Bachmann on the box. 

So, what is a decent not too expensive system ? 

Roco Multimaus - has its limitations, but can still be found broken from trainsets under £100(*).  Be careful when buying that its a full system, not just a handset - some ebay sellers might be less than clear. 
The two stand-by US systems:  NCE PowerCab, Digitrax Zephyr.  Both somewhere near £150-£170. 

Thereafter prices go above £200:
Signatrack ACE - UK designed/made, and rather good for what it sets out to do. 
Uhlenbrock Daisy 2 - German, might seem a little expensive.  Sometimes found in Germany and Italy online retailers split from trainsets at a considerable saving, I've seen them recently in Italy for £140. 
Roco z21/Z21 (the capital letter makes a big difference in features.  Depends if you need the features of the "big Z", or the cheaper price of the "little z").   Works with either a smartphone app (android or apple), or with the Roco Multimaus handset.  Might get a z21 for well below £200 with shopping around.   

Gaugemaster's system is another rebadge, its made by MRC in the US.  Its OK.  There are several sub-variants with different capabilities, so watch whether a "bargain" is actually a bargain. 

Put the price up further and there are more systems from more makers. 

Cheaper options, but all need researching carefully to decide if they stand a chance of working for you:
Sprog (needs a computer connected to it, either a normal one, or a Raspberry PI), from £60
MERG kit built system, but needs assembling which isn't trivial.  Realistically, around £100 to start. 
DCC++ which is even more DIY than MERG, but can be built for well under £25.   

(* Scograil in Ipswich (not a billion miles from Norfolk, despite what some will say) sometimes have them, and in the same building as Scograil  are Coastal DCC who probably know as much about different systems as anyone, and have a decent range for people to try out and discuss.   Check that Kevin at Coastal will be in before making a trip, he is sometimes out doing shows.     )

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything