New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Berlin Railways  (Read 132 times)

Offline Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Berlin Railways
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
In Berlin a huge improvement program on the busy Ostkreuz S-bahn station was just completed yesterday. I visited this station about 6 years ago on a trip to Berlin, but never realised the significance of the area. It lies just east of the 'Ostbahnhof', which used to be Berlin's central station, before the gigantic and imposing modern glass and steel station was built at Berlin Mitte.

The Ostkreuz area is really interesting to look at on Google satellite. There are a vast amount of disused sidings and old goods yard areas (I've attached a historic plan of the area). Much of this region was targeted for bombing in WW2 and seemingly the land was never put back to use. The Ostbahnhof also had significance during the era of the former DDR.

On an amusing side note, I managed to find a few 'improbable' curve radi and a random loop of rail - very much a-la-model railways!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Hauptbahnhof

https://goo.gl/maps/xrkawx4YznD2
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:32:41 AM by Globi »

Offline mika

• Awards
Re: Berlin Railways
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
Changing trains at Ostkreuz was a PITA before they rebuilt it. I haven't been since...
The 'improbable' track formations are the Berlin tram. They can traverse pretty sharp curves. The second one shows a tram reverse loop.

Cheers,
Michael

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
Changing trains at Ostkreuz was a PITA before they rebuilt it. I haven't been since...
The 'improbable' track formations are the Berlin tram. They can traverse pretty sharp curves. The second one shows a tram reverse loop.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael, ah that makes sense, a tram obviously runs around the southern edge of the site! Thanks for explaining  :thumbsup:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
The Ostkreuz area is really interesting to look at on Google satellite. There are a vast amount of disused sidings and old goods yard areas (I've attached a historic plan of the area). Much of this region was targeted for bombing in WW2 and seemingly the land was never put back to use.

railsquid here, between 1995 and 1999 I lived very close to (and directly overlooking) Warschauer Str. station, the next one west from Ostkreuz (and between 1991 and 2008 in Berlin) so can lay some claim to knowing the area.

Most of the sidings on the historic plan are in the vicinity of the current Ostbahnhof (nee Schlesischer Bahnhof, then Ostbahnhof, Hauptbahnhof then Ostbahnhof). If memory serves correctly, during the early 1990s the sidings to the south/west of Ostbahnhof were still in use for postal traffic and possibly a locomotive depot. The expanse of sidings to the north/east, fanning out from the general location of Warschauer Strasse, were abandoned at some point in the 1990s (Wikipedia has this image from 1992 showing a fair number of wagons) but were certainly in use during the GDR era, see e.g. this site, photo 39 (the apartment I lived in is the building on the top right, second floor, the three windows from the right of the picture). The siding on the far side was/is still in use as a headshunt for access to the carriage works on the north side of Warschauer Strasse station.

In general, while the area (like much of central Berlin) was bombed in the war, east of Ostbahnhof, the pre-war city is largely intact and I'm not aware of any infrastructure being abandoned after the war, apart from the Wriezener Bahnhof.

This is my Flickr album with a bunch of photos from 2008 of Ostkreuz shortly before rebuilding started (first picture is somewhat earlier, ca. 2003 or so IIRC): https://www.flickr.com/photos/129145651@N06/albums/72157687509160775

This blog: https://www.ostkreuzblog.de/ has charted the rebuilding process.

Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
The Ostkreuz area is really interesting to look at on Google satellite. There are a vast amount of disused sidings and old goods yard areas (I've attached a historic plan of the area). Much of this region was targeted for bombing in WW2 and seemingly the land was never put back to use.

railsquid here, between 1995 and 1999 I lived very close to (and directly overlooking) Warschauer Str. station, the next one west from Ostkreuz (and between 1991 and 2008 in Berlin) so can lay some claim to knowing the area.

This is my Flickr album with a bunch of photos from 2008 of Ostkreuz shortly before rebuilding started (first picture is somewhat earlier, ca. 2003 or so IIRC): https://www.flickr.com/photos/129145651@N06/albums/72157687509160775

This blog: https://www.ostkreuzblog.de/ has charted the rebuilding process.

Hey Railsquid,

That's really interesting info! Your photos of Ostkreuz take me right back to my trips there - I'll have to make a visit at some point to see the posh new rebuild! Is that a stork's nest in the catenary mast?

I remember there were several night clubs located in what were probably once the goods handling sheds etc. The Friedrichshein area had a lot of nice little bars and cafes, with a rather East London feel to it!

I'd love to practice some modelling techniques in the style of the abandoned sidings areas. I'll have to do a diorama at some point I think, as the area is much more urban than would suit the current layout I'm working on. Maybe a good way of using any left over bits of track etc.

Thanks for the more deatiled information.

Matt

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Ian. :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00