New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco Streamline Points with Set Track Line  (Read 145 times)

Offline Simon1983

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Peco Streamline Points with Set Track Line
« on: December 05, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm extremely new to this, I've visited a model railway near me, watched YouTube etc and settled on n gauge as I just find it more interesting than the other sizes. I'm not very confident about cutting track to form my own curves so I thought I'd make the layout out of Set Track code 80. However, after reading further I found the Streamline code 80 points with the conductive frog look better.

I'm in AnyRail designing my layout but the angles leaving the points to the main track don't quite match, therefore muliple lines don't follow in parallel. I've added a photo to show what I mean. I've read about people saying this is possible but its all a bit over my head at the moment. Can I bend the track attaching to the points to make it work or is it too short and would cause a kink?
Hope I've made myself clear, if not I'll try to explain again,
Many thanks,
Simon

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Peco Streamline Points with Set Track Line
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »
Hi Simon and welcome!

The trouble is you're trying to mix the two different geometries of the Streamline and Setrack curves.  Streamline pointwork is really expected to be used with flexi track, though there's nothing physically stopping you joining the two ranges other than the geometry as you're discovering.   

Also, it's normal with Streamline pointwork to have to trim a couple of sleepers where the two tracks converge at the frog of the point.

Not only will the live frog Streamline points look better, they'll also allow much more reliable slow running through the point especially with small short wheelbase locos.  I know you don't feel confident about cutting track, but it's a skill well worth learning and you'll find it's not difficult. The only way you'll get the Setrack curves to match the points is to cut something!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:09:54 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
Thanks Nick, I've been reading such a lot - I'm thinking just go completely with streamline 80 and trying my best. I can't find a good tutorial on creating quite tight curves where they show you exactly how to deal with the inside rail making it shorter, do you know of one?

If you were starting from scratch would you go for Peco Streamline yourself?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
I use Peco Set Trackwith Streamline Code 80 points a lot and it works fine but yes, you will likely end up cutting track. And you should cut the track not the point by the way.
Actually, it’s easier, in my opinion, to cut Set Track than Flexi Track (especially if you are a beginner).  I’d suggest you invest in a pair of Xuron Track Cutters which make cutting easy. You’ll also need a few packs of rail joiners.
As for Any Rail, I can’t help with that as I find it impossible to reconcile an on screen layout to what actually goes down on the baseboard. I need to see the track actually in place on the board so that I can envisage the scenery that will go around it. That’s just my preference though. I’m sure some Any Rail fans will be along shortly with a solution.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »
Thanks a lot, so for example where angles don't quite allow parallel lines, you would take an angled piece of Setrack and cut it at the point where it will give you the angle you need to fill the gap?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Thanks a lot, so for example where angles don't quite allow parallel lines, you would take an angled piece of Setrack and cut it at the point where it will give you the angle you need to fill the gap?
Not quite sure I follow that.
Two things though. One, you will probably need to cut off the outside sleepers from the Set Track to enable it to fit easily to the streamline point.
Two - you might need to put a short straight (or a bit of a straight) between the streamline point and the curve in order to create enough gap between the two running rails. Without the straight, the tracks will be mighty close to each other.

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »
I'm struggling to visualise how I'd actually fill the gap the two types of track create (the actual process). If you look at the pdf I put in the top post, what would you do to create the join inside the white circle?

I put it into AnyRail and yes I found it was really close together so a bit of straight would definitley be needed.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
I'm struggling to visualise how I'd actually fill the gap the two types of track create (the actual process). If you look at the pdf I put in the top post, what would you do to create the join inside the white circle?

I put it into AnyRail and yes I found it was really close together so a bit of straight would definitley be needed.
Aha......I see what you are meaning.
I’ll send you a photo shortly.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
Thanks Nick, I've been reading such a lot - I'm thinking just go completely with streamline 80 and trying my best. I can't find a good tutorial on creating quite tight curves where they show you exactly how to deal with the inside rail making it shorter, do you know of one?

If you were starting from scratch would you go for Peco Streamline yourself?

Ah but there's the thing - I wouldn't recommend flexi track for tight curves, it is easier to use Setrack for those.  Flexitrack is best for gentle sweeping curves and long straights.

I do perfectly understand why using Setrack is great for a beginner, it's the classic "train set" approach (and I don't mean anything derogatory by that).  As long as you use the right number of the same curves and straight pieces all from the same range it plugs together and works.  On the other hand you are then limited to those set curves and usually quite small radius pointwork.

Personally I've been modelling in N since the 70s  so working with flexitrack has been second nature for decades. Yet just a couple of years ago I opted for Setrack curves on a return loop baseboard just for ease of construction.

So... as a compromise I'd say consider Setrack for the main curves of our layout if it's quite small and you're limited in what radius you can accommodate, but maybe use Streamline points and some flexitrack elsewhere if you really want the best looking and reliable pointwork.   

Not wishing to alarm you, but something else to consider with live frog ("electrofrog" in Peco parlance) points  is that you will need to consider the use of isolating rail joiners on the frog V joints in any situation where you have the potential for power to feed into the point from the frog end. Otherwise you'll get short circuits!    If not sure, you can always post a drawing of your track plan on here and people can advise where you'll need the isolating joiners.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
Right.
Three photos here. Apologies for the rather grotty bits of track. It’s all used track from my spares box.
First......the problem which I think you are facing:

Second.....I’ve cut the outside moulded sleeper section on the  bottom edge of the top short straight where it will attach to the streamline point.

Third....the track now fits. Hopefully!

Someone might saythis is wrong but I’ve done it for years and it works for me.
By the way, the point in the photo is an insulfrog.

Offline Safety Engineer

• N Gauge Society Number: 11721
  • 2mm Association Number: 3923
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 07:32:28 PM »
Might be worth looking at 009 points, I've used them to match the 11.75" set track curves on a return loop in a non scenic section. They do have the advantage that they are electro frog, however they are very nearly but not quite the same radii so a short matching section is needed.
The Peco web site has templates that you can use.

Martin

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies and time taken to help me everyone, these are much more detailed responses than some other hobby forums. I've got plenty to look at now, hopefully my next post will be a critique of a layout plan!
Simon

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything