New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Intermittent short circuit on diamond crossing  (Read 166 times)

Offline TylerB

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Intermittent short circuit on diamond crossing
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
One of the diamond crossings on my tram layout is occasionally shorting out the passing trams (but not all the time - it's so occasional as to be really annoying!). I think two of the metal rails are slightly too close together and the wheels are touching both rails simultaneously causing the short. Is there a simple method of preventing this?

I know people will suggest checking the back-to-back measurement of the wheels but I don't really feel I would be able to adjust the wheels on these chassis very easily (the wheels are a bit coarse and there's an awful lot of them!) .... I was wondering if there might be some way to perhaps put some sort of non-conductive paint over a tiny part of the rail so it doesn't short - the trams have pickups on multiple bogies so it shouldn't affect their operation. Anyone done anything like this, or have any other solution?

Offline Philip.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Twitter
    • My N Gauge Railway
    • Awards
Re: Intermittent short circuit on diamond crossing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
Clear nail varnish does the trick for me on any problem points.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
If it's a case of the wheel treads touching both rails then it's not a back-to-back issue. It's more to do with both routes of the diamond being live at the same time and there not being sufficient insulating gap or plastic at the rail intersections.

Is there any way you could maybe kill the track power in the other route until it's time for a tram to run through in that direction? I believe some Peco live frog diamonds require similar power switching in each route.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »
how about getting a frog juicer? should detect and correct any short circuit.

Tim

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Before you get a Frog Juicer what make of track is it?

Regards,

John P

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Frog juicers are very good BUT be aware they are for DCC powered track only.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline TylerB

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
in response to the above questions, it's a DCC layout, the crossing in question is one I bought second hand, I think it might be Trix but I'm not sure (and it's now fixed in place so I can't check underneath)Unfortunately I can't power down the other track conveniently as it's a loop with the same line crossing over itself. The nail varnish idea seems like a good one! I'm not sure about a frog juicer -I don't really want to do any major rewiring or having to insert track breaks or anything, but it might be an option if its easy to install.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:37:00 AM by TylerB »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here