!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "SIFA" and "Zugbeinflussung"  (Read 92 times)

Online Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
"SIFA" and "Zugbeinflussung"
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »
Hi all,

If any of you watch any of the brilliant German train cab rides on YouTube, then like me you may be wondering about the exact meaning of the phrases 'SIFA' and 'Zugbeinflussung', which you often hear in an automated (I think mainly female but sometimes male) voice instructing the driver.

I've got a train expert in Germany to explain these for me and thought I might share it:

SIFA: stands for Sicherheitsfahrschaltung (Driving Safety Switch). The driver has to press a switch every 30 seconds to indicate he/she is not in the land of Nod, snoring loudly - i.e. fast asleep. If he/she fails to do this, then the vocal tone "SIFA" is issued until the button is pressed.

Zugbeinflussung (Train Influence): The train has passed over a signal and if the driver does not respond in a suitable manner, the train will be automatically 'influenced' - e.g. if it is going too fast the emergency brake will be applied. If the driver has seen the signal, pressed the appropriate button and then responded accordingly, the "Zugbeinflussung" vocal tone will cease.

Hope this helps to clarify things, and thanks to my friend for translating! 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:01:12 AM by Globi »

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: "SIFA" and "Zugbeinflussung"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
Great explanation Matt but you didn't mention the best sound that you hear when watching the cab rides on Taurus and 189 locos......the roadrunner meep, meep when the rear of the train reaches a certain point. :D :D
John

Online Globi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
Great explanation Matt but you didn't mention the best sound that you hear when watching the cab rides on Taurus and 189 locos......the roadrunner meep, meep when the rear of the train reaches a certain point. :D :D

Thanks John! I've not heard that one, but the Taurus does seem to be rather a musically inclined loco (judging by it's start-up symphony) so that does not surprise me one bit - I'll listen out for it  ;)

Online Globi

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »
....the best sound that you hear when watching the cab rides on Taurus and 189 locos......the roadrunner meep, meep when the rear of the train reaches a certain point. :D :D

Ha ha excellent!!!!  :bounce:

00:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTPAVMPhtSQ

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here