!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 20918 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:39 PM »
Coniston will only need part of the yard to receive and dispatch copper ore wagons to/from the Copper House up the valley from the northern end.

How far beyond the station did trains actually run?

About 300 metres, to just the other side of Mealy Gill. That's where the Copper House was.
From about halfway along that, almost up to the Gill, there was a long siding originally used for marshalling the wagons in and out.

In the 1930s, copper ore and much of the slate traffic having come to an end, this siding was used for camping coaches - during the summer the early morning train from Foxfield was pushed up to Coniston so that the loco didn't have to run round and disturb the sleeping occupants  :D

Currently if you duck down to the farm just above the 'Sun' pub (I don't recommend the jacket spuds) you can follow a footpath that links you past the slate wharf (presumed) and onto what looks like it could have been an old railway line, except it's a bit steep in places.

That sounds like the site of the Copper House - anything that looks like it could have been railway beyond would have been just a track for horses/ponies to bring the ore down to the Copper House.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
Do you actually have a marker where those uncouplers are chris ? Its hard noticing the white dabs. I use a marker on the platform or in the yard painted brightly. Impressive work so far

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: December 17, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »
Do you actually have a marker where those uncouplers are chris ? Its hard noticing the white dabs. I use a marker on the platform or in the yard painted brightly. Impressive work so far

Don't forget that it's easier to see things in an A4 sized mirror than it is to see them on an 800 pixel wide, slightly fuzzy photo. The mirrors aren't that fuzzy really, I think the camera got confused at being asked to take a photo of a mirror using flash so didn't get the focus spot on.

I went for the white dabs because it's not unlikely that the P-way bods might mark the end of a sleeper due for replacement, etc. Also, they are on the rear end of the sleepers so less visible to viewers looking from the front.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
I was thinking along those lines  pardon the pun. Nevertheless effective. Least  an ingenious way of detecting your trains

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
Also posted in the Coniston Railway thread but repeated here for completeness.
Coniston now has its mirrors fitted to aid operating from the back, the nameboard and lighting done and the backscene finished off with all the post-WWII  house additions and changes removed.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
Having delayed further progress on Broughton while I get the other stations/layouts ready for the Club's planned open day in June, I've been working on the first of the "little scenes" I have planned for Coniston.

After spending the first part of the hols near Walton-on-the-Naze, the Swallows and the Amazons have returned to The Lakes for the second part. They've just arrived on the train standing in platform 2 and discovered that, jibbooms and bobstays, their boats, the Swallow and the Amazon, have arrived before them and are about to be unloaded.

The ship's Captains and Mates - Nancy & Peggy Blackett, the Amazon Pirates distinguishable by their trademark red pirates caps, and John & Susan Walker, the elder of the Swallow's crew, are watching from the footbridge.
Bridget, the Swallow's Ship's Baby, isn't tall enough to see over the bridge rail so she's gone down to the platform with Able Seaman Titty (Kitty or Tatty if one must) to watch through/over the fence.
Roger, Swallow's other able seaman, being a galoot as usual, found something else to look at and is running across the bridge to see what the others have found.

I decided to put most of the children on the bridge since, although the manufacturer described them as "N Gauge Children", the models are closer to a 6 scale feet tall so I want to keep them separate from other people I plan to add so that the difference in scale is less obvious.
The boats, although technically rowing boats, make reasonable representations since they are upside down. As far I can tell, the colours are correct, Swallow being white with a brown sheer strake and a brown sail whilst Amazon is all brown with a white sail. The boats and oars are from the Langley rowing boats kit while the masts are lengths of brass rod with a length of tube slipped over to represent the sails rolled around them.

The next thing I need to source is some decent draught horses and wagon wheels to make a couple of "snigging"  teams, drawing logs up to the goods yard for loading onto the bolster wagons in the background of the third photo for onward transport. Ideally I want to do two teams, one already in the yard and one slogging its way up the hill from the village.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Perfect Chris; absolutely perfect!

Will you include an Arthur Ransome amongst the other people you plan to add?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
Perfect Chris; absolutely perfect!

Thanks, John.

Will you include an Arthur Ransome amongst the other people you plan to add?

That's a thought. I hadn't considered it but it's a good idea.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
Maybe some period figures to populate the scene

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
Maybe some period figures to populate the scene

Well, as "period" as I can manage  :D

Got the horses and wagon wheels sourced - now to have a look around the garden to see what prunings I didn't chuck away will suit for the logs.

Offline TalyllynJon

• Awards
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »
Love the Swallows and Amazons - a really lovely little detail on an already stunning layout (it's a pity there is no feasible way of getting the lake into the layout).

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2020, 06:41:14 AM »
Love the Swallows and Amazons - a really lovely little detail on an already stunning layout

Thanks, I felt it was worth adding. Particularly since the Coniston Fells above the station features in the books, as did other places around/on Coniston Water - even though it was all somewhat "blended" with Windermere for other aspects.

(it's a pity there is no feasible way of getting the lake into the layout).

Indeed - to include it, and to scale, I estimate that the lake would be at floor level two rooms across  ;)

Never mind, we'll be including part of Windermere when we get on to Lakeside at the Club.
That'll be some way off though, we haven't even got Haverthwaite fully operational yet, let alone any scenery done. With only one evening a week working time it's inevitable that it has taken and will take much longer than my own layouts where I've had looooads of time to work on them  ;)

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Superb scenic detailing  :thumbsup:
        regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #463 on: March 12, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
Excellent detailing there Chris.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: March 15, 2020, 09:31:32 PM »
Been working hard on adding detail to Coniston this weekend.

Firstly, the left-hand (Broughton) end, where I've filled the gap beside the loco yard headshunt courtesy of the P-Way gang, who have a habit of filling any empty space that they find with bits of track, etc. It's possible that this intrusion was justified, since those look like new 60' lengths with a pile of sleepers dumped any old how beside them so it may be that they have some work to do down the line sometime soon.

Now moving to the middle of the layout, we have another game of Wheres Wally Flossie in the foreground, whilst the platforms have acquired more people and the goods yard has a few piles of "stuff" that have sprouted. More on those later, though.

On to the goods yard, with an focus stacked image this time. because I've been working on both the front and the back of the scene. By the goods shed road, I've added a pile of stone and one of sand, whilst there a pile of something brown (no, NOT that, LOL) beyond the coal yard.

The greater part of the work went on at the slate wharf, where I've finally got around to adding in the path climbing the bank to, and beyond, the slate office. In front of that, I've added a Scotch (or stiffleg) Derrick which resembles the one that was originally at Coniston as closely as I can. Considering that all I had to work from was two photos, neither of which showed the whole thing I'm happy enough with it.

Behind the derrick is a pile of recently delivered new pit-prop timbers for the mines, with another wagonload still to be unloaded, and further along the wharf are a few stacks of slates ready for loading to be taken away.

I'm still not happy with the main goods yard crane, which bears no resemblance to the one that was originally there. However, I've been unable to source anything suitable in n-gauge - Peco's LK-35 Yard Crane is pretty close, however that's only available as 'Orribly Overscale.
I've ordered a job lot of old watch parts which should provide some suitable gears so I can scratchbuild the rest - failing that I'll glue them to my jacket and head over to Whitby for the next steampunk event  ;)

And finally, the thing that's taken most of my time, especially the painting before assembly - namely the first snigging team climbing the hill up from the village with a rather large log, aka one of the small to medium twigs left over from when I pruned my pear tree.

Under normal circumstances, even that size log would be well within the capability of only two Shire horses - at a show in 1924, a pair of Shires were able to pull a starting load that was estimated to exceed 50 tons, the actual figure is unknown since they exceeded the range of the dynamometer that was being used to measure their strength.
However, it's a very steep climb up from the village to the station so I decided to be fair to them and use four - besides, I think a team of four looks better than one of only two anyway.

I assembled the snigging team on a new section of roadway so I could work on them on the workbench instead of leaning across the layout and fix the whole lot in place when finished. By doing that I was able to include the traces linking the cart to each horse (although only the outside ones) but I decided that trying to do the reins as well was too much of an ask so this is obviously a well-trained team  ;)

I'm planning to make another snigging team and put them in the goods yard as if they've just arrived, although that does mean that the mechanical horse backing up to the crane will have to be evicted - I'll probably shift that to Broughton, when I get back to that layout.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal