!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 16581 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »
Please let us all know how the acrylic mirors work
 Interesting idea though
Are you mounting them on the 47 x 47 timber or otherwise chris ?

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2019, 09:24:21 PM »
 Interesting idea though
Are you mounting them on the 47 x 47 timber or otherwise chris ?

I might be going with the mylar actually. Just tried stapling a bit to a sheet of wood and, although not a reflection I'd be happy trying to shave in, it seemed a perfectly acceptable reflection for what I need - especially if I can get it stretched tighter.
I'll have another play with it tomorrow, if it does the trick then the acrylic mirrors can go back to Amazon   ;)

The general idea is to have a lightweight timber rail (or frame) running the full length of the layout, stood on legs screwed to the layout ends such that it's high enough that it's higher than the backscene, then fix the mirror(s) to that at a suitable angle (somewhere in the region of 45 degrees, I guess) so that looking straight across from the control panel location results in seeing vertically down onto the layout.

The same mounting rail could have a nameboard on the front to hide the back of the mirror(s) and, possibly, information panels. Between the mirror(s) and the nameboard I could possibly fit some LED lighting as well.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2019, 09:30:53 PM »
Look forward to hearing how you get on  anyway

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »
 Interesting idea though

Right, after a bit of experimenting and tweaking, I've determined that three of the A4 size acrylic mirrors will do the job. One will cover the station throat, one the goods yard & south end of the platforms and the third the north end of the platforms.
I did play a bit more with the mylar but decided that something rigid enough upon which to stretch it adequately would weigh more than the three acrylic mirrors.

All three mirrors above the layout;

The station throat one;

South end of the platforms and goods yard;

North end of the platforms;

As positioned I can see the points and the uncouplers locations, and by moving slightly from one side to the other, the field of view in each mirror can be extended to reach the FoV of the next one, so I will be able to see pretty well the entire layout.

The mirrors are only loosely fitted at present (actually dangling off the legs I use for the lighting bar, hence the poor lighting in the pics) while I was experimenting with positions, heights and angles, so the next task is to make the proper supports. My thoughts are tending towards legs and outriggers from behind the backscene supporting a lightweight frame holding the mirrors - if I design it right I should be able to turn the frame around and see the fiddle yard with the backscene in place when operating from the front instead.

If it works then, when I get around to it, I'll do something similar for Torver, Woodland and Broughton - although they will only need the mirrors if they have the fiddle yard fitted. If they don't, then the operating position is closer so I can see over the backscene directly.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »
Coniston operations  control chris

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #440 on: December 14, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
Looking really impressive chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:42:18 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »
Nice job, Chris. I hope it all works to your satisfaction.

(Got enough cameras, there?)

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
Nice job, Chris. I hope it all works to your satisfaction.

Thanks - so do I.
I'm currently working on a prototype outrigger arrrangement to work out the best (simplest) way of hanging the mirrors in place.

(Got enough cameras, there?)

Nope - still missing one (assuming that it was ever made), a few lenses and several accessories to complete the collection  :P

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
Well, the mirror mounting arrangement is now done, bar a lick of paint, and all three show me sufficient field of view for what I wanted;

The north end of the platforms - the uncouplers that I wanted to be able to spot are marked with a dab of white on the sleeper ends;

The goods yard, uncouplers marked the same way;

The station throat. No uncouplers but loads of points that I want to be able to see if a train has cleared them before changing them;

and, finally, all the mirrors and what will be going in front of them - both to hide them and to save people having to peer to see what's written on the, somewhat smaller, station nameboard on platform 1  ;)

When I get the layout back upstairs and viewable from the front, I'll take a piccie with the nameboard finished and in place.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: December 17, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
That's an excellent arrangement, Chris.  I used something very similar, albeit with only two mirrors, on Sandrock, my moribund US 'N' Scale layout.  These let me see the fiddle yards, over the backscene, when operating the layout sitting down.  After a little bit of familiarisation, the mirror image views were not confusing, much as one's brain accepts the image in a motor car's mirrors.

The Coniston sign is wonderful - an excellent job.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »
That's an excellent arrangement, Chris.  I used something very similar, albeit with only two mirrors, on Sandrock, my moribund US 'N' Scale layout.  These let me see the fiddle yards, over the backscene, when operating the layout sitting down.  After a little bit of familiarisation, the mirror image views were not confusing, much as one's brain accepts the image in a motor car's mirrors.

The mirrors will only be needed if operating from the rear of Coniston - and Torver, Woodland and/or Broughton if the modular fiddle yard is fitted. If it's not, the operator is so close to the backscene that they can see over without any trouble. Therefore it's only the end stations of a setup that will need them since only Coniston and whichever is the most distant from it will have a fiddle yard - and Coniston will only need part of the yard to receive and dispatch copper ore wagons to/from the Copper House up the valley from the northern end. All trains heading south will bypass the fiddle yard and go straight down to Torver.

I've reduced the height of the backscenes so seeing a fiddle yard from close to the front (i.e. when I've got them set up at home) shouldn't be a problem.

The Coniston sign is wonderful - an excellent job.

Thanks, it's just a little something I knocked up in Photoshop  ;)

I have similar ones prepared, but not printed yet, ready for Torver, Woodland and Broughton. My thought is to hang them off the mirror bars if fitted or the front edge of the layout if the mirrors aren't needed.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
Superb sign. Is it cast metal ?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #447 on: December 17, 2019, 09:58:26 AM »
Superb sign. Is it cast metal ?

Good heavens no, the supports wouldn't take the weight of that  ;)

It's printed card stuck to a strip of 3mm ply. It's actually dead flat but I added a drop shadow to the letters and edge to give the 3D look.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #448 on: December 17, 2019, 10:01:29 AM »
Effective simple beautiful

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
Coniston will only need part of the yard to receive and dispatch copper ore wagons to/from the Copper House up the valley from the northern end.

How far beyond the station did trains actually run?

Currently if you duck down to the farm just above the 'Sun' pub (I don't recommend the jacket spuds) you can follow a footpath that links you past the slate wharf (presumed) and onto what looks like it could have been an old railway line, except it's a bit steep in places.

I've always assumed trains did not reach the Coppermines Valley, or even the other side of the trees from the station?

(incidentally the bottom end of Coppermines Valley is where I asked Black Ewe to marry me in October 2008, it was cold and wet.)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal