!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12324 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #405 on: September 08, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Yaay, Coniston is finished - like heck is it, is a model railway ever finished?

Still, the build is now finished. Having received the switches that I was awaiting, I've now completed and installed the Mk2 Control Panel;

Here's a view of just the control panel;

The switches with LEDs beside them are for isolated sections, which may be controlled by Controller 1 (the default and which controls the rest of the layout), Controller 2 (for if I wish to conduct movements independently of a train being worked by Controller 1, for example shifting stock around in the fiddle yard) or, simply, off. All are DPDT centre off switches, one set of poles being for the track power, the other for the LEDs which light green for Controller, red for Controller 2 or off for no track power.

The switches with signal symbols beside them are for, well, signals. These are DPDT centre off sprung one way switches. One set of poles is for switching on the signal solenoids, on the sprung throw only so I can't leave a solenoid on by mistake. The other poles short out a diode connecting the track section immediately in advance of the signal post, on both throws. This means that a train may pass the signal from the rear at any time but may only pass it from the front if a) the signal is clear or b) the switch is set to the testing (playing) mode.

The switches labelled UC are for the uncoupling solenoids, these are SPST sprung switches. I opted for these because I wasn't keen on the pushbuttons that came with the solenoids.

The points setting LEDs are controlled by relays, triggered by the pulses from the studs and probe for changing the points.  Being latching relays, when I power up the layout all the indicators show the points settings immediately - provided I haven't been fiddling with the points while it was powered down of course.

Now, in response to DarrwestLU6's request, the signals.

Jubilee 5664 Nelson is at the end of platform 2, waiting to depart with the return excursion from Blackpool;

Meanwhile, at the southern end of the station, nothing is happening;

Ah, the starter has come off and Neslon can depart;

Since the advanced starter is also off, Nelson may proceed into the single line section;

Still at the south end of the station, the excursion must have passed Woodland now because the home signal for an arrival into platform 1 has been pulled off;

and Ivatt 2MT (Mickey Mouse) 6404 arrives with the local passenger service;

The four home signals are, respectively from right to left, for arrivals into platforms 1, 2 & 3, on the 3-doll bracket post, and into the goods loop, on the reverse of the post with the advanced starter. However, due to lack of space under the board I've only been able to make the advanced starter and the platform 1 arrivals signals work. The rest are fixed, although it rather looks as if the platform 3 one needs fixing better ;-) I'll do that when I add the ladders to all the signal posts.

As I said, the build stage of Coniston is now complete so all (all, he says !!!) that is left is to bring it to life with the addition of people, animals, freight loads in the goods yard, the occasional pile of tatt that would undoubtedly have been left lying around, etc., etc. When conditions and time permit, I still have to take the photographs for the real backscene too. Unfortunately so far this year when there has been decent weather and light it's also been unpleasantly hazy so I haven't had the opportunity yet :(

In the meantime, however, plenty to do on Torver. I'll be posting the current state of progress there on the Coniston Railway thread in a little while - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45685.msg575614#msg575614

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #406 on: September 08, 2019, 01:07:11 PM »
thanks chris

feels like im standing in coniston admiring your layout !!!!

like the control panel but i leave that darren 's way - he is the club guru !!!

love the Jubilee and the fine selection of locos and stockin such a beautiful setting. have to be proud of those signals chris

Chris

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: September 08, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Chris
That is a lovely layout.
That control panel looks mightily impressive (especially to someone who knows just about nothing as far as electrickery is concerned) but itís the scenic elements that I like.
Superb modelling.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #408 on: September 08, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
martin

i sceond that. chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #409 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »
Thanks, guys.

I'm pleased with the control panel, but I learned one important thing when assembling it - don't make the darned thing so narrow and deep. It's only about 6" wide but 3" deep at the front, tapering out to 7" deep at the back with the circuit board for all the relays and the connectors for the cables out to the various baseboards on the bottom. Fishing for and fitting all the wires gave me a good impression of what it must be like for a surgeon who has to perform surgery on the front of a patient's spine but has to go in through the belly  :D

The ones for Torver, etc. will be of similar style on top but far, far, shallower ;)

Something I forgot to mention before - the blue "thing" near the middle of the panel is a brightness control. I found that as evening draws in, the LEDS on full brightness were way too bright so I added a potentiometer into their power feed so I can turn them down and see the point operating studs again.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: September 08, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »
Chris
That is a lovely layout.
That control panel looks mightily impressive (especially to someone who knows just about nothing as far as electrickery is concerned) but itís the scenic elements that I like.
Superb modelling.

Martin

I third that! 8-)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: September 10, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
Great looking panels and signals! Thank you for posting. Looking forward to seeing the layout live someday...

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #412 on: September 11, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »
Great looking panels and signals! Thank you for posting.

Thanks mate.

Looking forward to seeing the layout live someday...

You may have a bit of a journey, I fear. Unless it gets invited somewhere else, the only showings are likely to be local - i.e. open days at the clubrooms just outside Millom or, if we do one, an exhibition at a larger venue in Millom itself. We are considering doing another open day, possibly sometime before Christmas but unlikely to be able to set up an exhibition before 2021.

Of course, if anyone did want to come up to the South Lakes they could always make a weekend of it and also go to see what's left of the original station site.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #413 on: September 11, 2019, 06:33:57 AM »
Thank you for your kind offer will bear that in mind

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
Chrism - May I ask what you made the control panels from? It looks like a white panel board or hardboard? How did you print the labels on there?

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Chrism - May I ask what you made the control panels from? It looks like a white panel board or hardboard? How did you print the labels on there?

The base of the panels was thick plastic (although for Torver, etc. it'll be 3mm plywood coz I've run out of that plastic).
On top of that is the mimic panel layer, designed in Photoshop and printed onto decent white card.
Finally, I topped them off with clear plastic - actually old OHP slides that I happened to have.

I firstly used a sacrificial print of the mimic panel to mark where the holes needed to be drilled for the point changing studs, LEDs and switches, then drilled all the holes in the backing sheet. Then I offered up the real print, checking alignment with a bright light behind so I could see where the holes were, and glued it down. Then I glued the clear plastic on top before punching the holes down through the clear plastic and card into the drilled holes - again, with a bright light behind so the holes showed up - then opening the ones out for switches with a scalpel.

After fitting all the studs and switches then came the "fun" bit - adding umpteen yards of multicoloured spaghetti to, hopefully, the right bits. I don't think I did too badly to be honest - out of all the wiring to be done, I only got two points' indicator LEDs the wrong way around first go, indicating left when the point went right  :-[

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
Thatís very helpful- thank you!

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
At last I've got rid of the dreadfully oversized trees for the backscene on Coniston.
I finally managed to match up some spare time and decent weather conditions so I could take some photos in order to make the backscene, so here are a few shots showing the Coniston model in the real setting;

I still have to research when the houses were built since I suspect that up to three of them are too recent  for my late-thirties to early-forties timescale. The dark house in the middle was definitely there from at least as late as 1908, but whether or not it had the dormer windows I don't know yet. The row of terraced cottages and larger building behind them were also there at that time. If I can identify which of the other three houses are too recent, then they'll get photoshopped out before I get the final print made. I also need to extend both ends to provide the wraparound ends to the front of the baseboard.

There is a disparity with the perspective because the photos were taken from just outside the village, therefore looking up at the scene so doesn't really match with looking down on the model but there isn't much I can do about that. Likewise, they are seen from slightly south of the centre so look a tad odd if looking from north of there on the model, again not much I can do there.
I did have to cheat a bit at the northern end, due to a large tree blocking the field of view so the woodland that I could get photographed had to be extended. However, I doubt that many people will really notice - hopefully they'll be concentrating more on what's in front. Either way, it beats a row of oversized trees along the back and I'm happy with that ;)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: September 29, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
I think it works very well.  Extremely impressive.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
chris

stunning - those houses must be late Victorian period

absolutely amazing. are we standing on your station admiring the view ? and taking in the atmosphere ?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here