!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12680 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
This is a fabulous layout.
You should be immensely pleased with it and proud of it.
The scenic work is fantastic. Really well done.

Seconded.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
chris

you should take these as compliments. to work on the loco shed / messroom,   the slate office in ust a short space of time staggering. those photos are a testament to what can be achieved in such short space and such a short space of time.

hope that the work to do on the ground levels behind the station building are going nicely and your commentary is very informative

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
you should take these as compliments.

Oh, I do - and much appreciated they are too.

to work on the loco shed / messroom,   the slate office in ust a short space of time staggering. those photos are a testament to what can be achieved in such short space and such a short space of time.

Like I said earlier, I think that when I find a technique that works for me I just get on a roll and keep going.
Of course, I am aided in the construction speed by my preference for using a superglue that I've found sticks my choice of materials well and quickly, which means that there isn't much waiting time before I can do the next bit.

hope that the work to do on the ground levels behind the station building are going nicely and your commentary is very informative

Seems to be - at present I'm building up the edges immediately adjacent to the building with layers of thick card.so I have a clear marker as to where not to fill afterwards. Once that is done I can put the building safely out of the way and work back towards the slate wharf track, gently sloping with a shallow cutting immediately adjacent to the track. That's the plan, at least.

It doesn't need to be 100% perfect because, except at the very ends of the building, it won't be seen by people looking from the  viewing side - however it needs to be done because if it isn't I'll know that it isn't and it'll bug me forever ;-)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
chris

the greenery and the scenics compliment the beautiful work
around the slate area. the station. feels like we are all transported back in time to the area and standing at coniston

sure take your time with the backscene and lighting !!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:26:04 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
There are plenty of superlatives already used, so I will just say - I agree with them all!  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »
Beautiful pictures, although they took an age to download.  They must be very large files.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #321 on: June 08, 2019, 07:12:37 PM »
Beautiful pictures, although they took an age to download.  They must be very large files.

Thanks. They shouldn't have been overly large, I cut them down to 1024 pixels wide - although Explorer tells me they totalled 17Mb in size. Maybe I forgot to set the quality setting lower than "best", force of habit  :doh:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: June 08, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »
A truly superb model. Highly realistic with great attention to detail.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #323 on: June 08, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
A truly superb model. Highly realistic with great attention to detail.
:hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    I`ll second that & agree with all the above    :thumbsup:

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
We've been having great weather recently in South Lakeland, some rain but not too little nor too much combined with quite a few warm sunny days. when this happens at this time of year all the plants put on a sudden growth spurt as if they know that the growing season is usually fairly short here and want to put on as much growth as they can.

Rarely, however, have I seen such a tremendous spurt of growth as has happened at Coniston in the last few days, transforming the landscape considerably. The whole of the northern end of the site, both front and back, is now heavily wooded, as they should be.

Here we can see that Bank Road and Walna Scar Road continue on from the end of Station Road, just after the bridge, but not that they come to a dead end at the backscene.

Likewise, it is far less obvious now that the spur up to the copper house disappears through the backscene.
The dark green trees needed to be tall to successfully conceal the join with the backscene, but are too tall to fit in the transport casings or, indeed, the car, so I've put them in sockets let into the scenery so that they can be removed for transportation and replanted upon arrival.

This shot was taken to approximately replicate the old photo taken from the church tower in the village that I used to get the proportions of the rooflines.

It certainly has been an unusual growth spurt - some of them have even sprouted crossbars and insulators, whilst the footbridge has sprouted a couple of gas lamps  ;)

The ground levels behind the station and goods shed have been raised OK, so the goods shed has acquired some doors now.

One growth, between the loco shed and signal box above, has even sprouted a loading gauge.

Regular visitors to Coniston may have observed a newcomer to the motive power fleet. The fact is that 2691, the Fairburn tank, has been getting a bit bolshie recently, something to do with only trundling up and down with the local passenger trains every day , never getting any time off to have his brasswork polished, etc. In fact he's been extremely sulky, most unlike his normal cheerful self. The other day he actually let off steam in the platform and scared a group of small children who were admiring him. Young Jimmy, the stationmaster's lad thinks he even heard the word "strike" mentioned.

Well, the Slightly-Portly Controller got to hear of this and, not wishing to see the renowned harmonious atmosphere at Coniston destroyed, has authorised the transfer of Ivatt 2-6-0 "mickey mouse" 6404 from Barrow to the Coniston duty roster so 2691 and 6404 will in future be sharing the local passenger duties, enabling both to have adequate time off to be kept in pristine condition.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:14:26 PM by chrism »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: June 11, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Superb photos. and scenic work with a nice little story, too! Many thanks.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #326 on: June 11, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
Superb photos. and scenic work with a nice little story, too! Many thanks.

Thought that was better than just "I've been buying more trains"  :laugh3:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »
The extras have proven so worthwhile. Superb!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »
Thank you. Superb modelling.those trees are an attractive splash of colour.are they ready to plant as so to speak ?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:38:22 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: June 11, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
Some excellent modelling there. I particularly like how the roads 'disappear' into the trees in picture 3.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here