!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12980 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #300 on: June 02, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
THAnks chris,glad it went well. this confirmed my knowledge of millom as i go a lot to a preserved railway centre which has rescued a loco and have seen some interesting articles  on the area. glad your open day went well.  chris
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:19:09 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
As regular visitors will be aware, Coniston has been residing down at the clubhouse for a couple of weeks, hopefully to come back home later this week. In the meantime, however, I haven't been idle but have been working on all the remaining buildings that are needed;

First we have the signal box;

This side will only be seen by an operator at the back of the layout, whilst the following two are what a viewer would see.

No steps at present, Bobby has to be a good climber. I'll add those once it is back on the layout so I can ensure that the steps meet the ground properly and don't either float in mid-air or jack the end of the signal box up ;-)

Now we have the ground frame cabin. This little hut housed a 15-lever ground frame for operating the points and signals at the northern end of the station. Why they separated those from the main signal box I know not. The ground frame had to work in conjunction with, and be unlocked by, the main signal box but I can't see that the distances for pulling points or signals would have been excessive from the main frame.
Anyway, this, again, is what an operator will see;

whilst this is the side seen by a viewer;

Next is the coal office and weighbridge. This is the Scalescenes freebie, the closest option that I could see for use at Coniston. Having made it, I'll use it for now but will probably make another using slate walling which will be more in keeping with the rest.

This little hut is to go on the north end of platform 1. What its original use was I don't know but I suspect that the station staff used it for the gardening tools when that end of the platform was turned into a garden. It may have originally been an office for when the coal yard was here or, maybe a lamp hut although it's about as far away from the signal box as it could be.

This is the slate office, the only building remaining at big Coniston, so is (like the bridge at the far end) assembled directly from scaled down photographs.

It is too tall at present (as can be deduced by looking at the door) because it needs to be let into the scenery - the terrain slopes up at about 30 degrees in both directions from the leftmost corner - which I can't do until I have the layout back home.

Finally, we have the loco shed, not yet complete because, again, I need the layout back home. It still requires the mess room adding to the eastern side and that side of the roof making to extend down over it. However, the mess room end wall is integral with the site retaining wall so I need to get the required measurements once I have the rest of the shed correctly centred over the track before I can do that. I also need to add the smoke vents over the track which , again, I will do once I have it correctly located.

I had thought that I must have been mad to attempt the station building, the largest and most important of the lot, first but in retrospect I'm glad that I did. These smaller ones were so fiddly to do (and have flaws galore) that I might well have been put off doing the big one. That little hut for platform 1 is only 1/2" by 3/8" in plan. Luckily, the flaws only really show up when viewed close up, when they are on the layout they won't be nearly so apparent.

I may well redo the signal box and ground frame cabin at some point because I'm not overly happy with them. They were so fiddly to do that I haven't even got glazing in the windows due to there being insufficient material to which to affix it. Also, I really wanted to do the signal box with outside diagonal framing in the contrasting brown/cream colours instead of the later external weatherboarding but I just couldn't get the gaps between the framing cut neatly. If I do have another go I'll work from the inside out, making boxes of the glazing material and adding the exteriors almost plank by plank in layers on the outside.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: June 04, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
chris

thank you for sharing the hard work on those three structures, looking beautiful and will sit really well on coniston.l ook forward
to seeing them planted or positioned . cheers   chris

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
thank you for sharing the hard work on those three structures, looking beautiful and will sit really well on coniston.l ook forward to seeing them planted or positioned .

Thanks mate.

The plan is to get the layout taken apart tomorrow evening. Provided it's not persisting it down (coz it ain't waterproof) then I should be able to get it loaded up and taken home, otherwise the return home will have to wait until it isn't raining and a keyholder is available to let me  collect it.

Once it's back home I'll get it set up again as quickly as I can, then I can plant the buildings (and finish the loco shed and, hopefully, signal box) befoe planting a few other bits (telegraph poles, loading gauge, etc.), then I can run off some more pics.

I have work to do on the ground levels behind the station building but that'll take a bit of time so I'll leave that until afterwards as it only shows that there's a problem from some angles.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »
Thanks chris. Going to be a challenge if the weather is not good. I have never seen any layout with a weatherproof cover. . Again chris beautiful piece of modelling. Maybe coniston should be shown off to the local history society or church fete. Just read how well your club show went

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I'm pleased to report that it wasn't persisting down on Wednesday evening, so Coniston returned home - still in the correct number of pieces, phew.
I spent part of Thursday lugging the table and the three boards upstairs again before reassembling the layout and having a good play testing it to make sure everything still worked. Having determined that all was well, I completed the loco shed/mess room, cobbled up the steps to save Bobby having shin up a rope to get into his signal box and dug out a larger hole so I could plant the slate office, which turned out to be rather larger than it appeared on the plan to which I've been working.

Those little tasks accomplished, I planted the rest of the buildings and set up the backscene and lighting so I can now offer for (hopefully) your delectation, Coniston in all its glory, if I may be excused using such a strong a term, complete with all the buildings in place;

I'm still very happy with the main station building & train shed and I'm also happy with the loco shed and the slate office - the latter being the building on the bank behind the station, which should be recognisable to anyone who's ever been to the real Coniston since it's the only original building remaining on the site. The model is made up from a set of photographs of the real thing, resized to scale, printed and assembled.

I'm less happy with the signal box, especially having seen RogerDB's latest upload which makes my effort look dreadfully amateurish - I console myself with the knowledge that he's been at this game longer than me so, hopefully, I will get better with more practice.

As I expected, the coal yard office does look very incongruous. That was the Scalescenes "freebie" but they didn't offer one in slate. I tried it but, having seen it on Coniston, will definitely have to do one myself in local slate at some point.

The next big job is to raise the ground level behind the station building and goods shed to save passengers having to be very good at jumping and to avoid the need for goods to self levitate into or out of the goods shed. Once that is done I won't need to lean across the boards so much and can, therefore look at planting trees (on the bank in front of the backdrop, between the tracks and the station access road and on the bank in front of the station), telegraph poles, the loading gauge, etc.

Other tasks required are to build up the ballast/ground around the signal box and loco shed so that they are not "floating", add the loco coaling stage to the end of the loco shed and make the garden on the north end of platform 1. Then it's just requiring little details - people, assorted "stuff" scattered around, etc., etc.

I also need to finish the points indicators relay circuits, see if I can get the signals working and remake the control panel, get the uncouplers working, sort a means of being able to see trains and tracks over the backscene if I'm operating from the rear of the layout, etc.

Still plenty to keep me out of mischief, eh?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
Thanks chris. Superb photos. Glad you got got the layout home in one piece. Will review photos later and comment when have time

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
No, glory is not too strong a word. A wonderful layout and seeing the Station complex resurrected on what is now a car park and small industrial area is a joy to behold. Well done, well done! :thumbsup:

From a first look through your great photos, I note one other detail you might want to look at: there does not appear to be any footpath access to the Slate Office. But Im being overly picky.

The layout deserves exhibiting in Coniston itself. Im sure the local Tourist Board would be most interested.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
Those are lovely photos. Must be pleased

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
 Coniston in all its glory

Glorious indeed Chris. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wonderfulmodelling: :greatpicturessign:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
Thanks guys.

From a first look through your great photos, I note one other detail you might want to look at: there does not appear to be any footpath access to the Slate Office. But Im being overly picky.

No, you're not being overly picky. It's one of the things that falls into the "other little details" category and is on the list to be done.

Can't do it yet, though, because the PVA under the last application of flock around the building since I dug the larger hole is still tacky - or ought to be since I only put it on a couple of hours ago  :D

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
my goodness.  Looking at the photos what an amazing piece of work. So convincing and doing full justice to the real thing a shown in the photos in that small book we both own.  And in such a short timescale as well you lucky whatsit.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »
my goodness.  Looking at the photos what an amazing piece of work. So convincing and doing full justice to the real thing

Thanks, mate.

a shown in the photos in that small book we both own.

You mean my principle source of information? Well, that and the other book about the Coniston Railway.
I have the A5 sized Oakwood Press publication and the A4 sized Cumbrian Railways Association one. Beyond that, all I've had for reference is photos I found on Google, a few that someone took of the part derelict site and put on a CD we found at the club and visits I've made to the remains of the site.

And in such a short timescale as well you lucky whatsit.

I'm still staggered myself at how quickly it's gone - 7 months and one week since I ordered the first materials. I know that I'm retired but it's not the only thing I've been doing in that time. I think that when I've started on an aspect of the model I've just got on a roll and kept going.

Things will slow down now, or appear to, because most of what's left to do is either non-visual stuff (like the signals, control panel, uncluopling and associated electrickery stuff) or little details that will just get added but not individually make much difference to the overall scene.

In the meantime, I need to work out how I can integrate Torver, Woodland, Broughton-in-Furness.....  :-X
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:31:22 PM by chrism »

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
That looks fantastic! Great modelling!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
This is a fabulous layout.
You should be immensely pleased with it and proud of it.
The scenic work is fantastic. Really well done.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here