!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12082 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »
Here a few pics of the current state of progress on the station building whilst I still have the layout at home on which to plonk it. No trains I'm afraid - the layout's already been taken down, I just pushed these two boards together so I could check the levels at the back of the building before I get too far along and find that I measured wrongly and get the building sitting too high.

Looking from the south;

the north;

and from above;

As can be seen, all roofs are now on and the top of the ventilation tower is complete. I've also added the large ornate porch over the station entrance, the roof lights over the northern (original) half of the train shed and the plain vent over the southern (extended) half.

I still have to make and add the four small louvred towers over the ridge of the train shed, two chimney stacks over the station building, bargeboards, ridge tiles and flashing, all of which I can work on whilst the layout's down at the club rooms. Oh, and the waiting room and canopy over platform 3. At some point there will also be guttering and downpipes needed.

When I bring the layout back home I can work on the ground level behind the building to bring it up to the level of the station entrance and exit porches and also raise it a little behind the goods shed. I hadn't realised that the trackwork wasn't all level in the original, it appears that the slate wharf siding was actually slightly elevated but it's too late now so I'll have to work around the problem.

There's not a lot I could do about the gap above the platform at the northern end because the entire building has to be removable and there is, unfortunately, a little distortion in the baseboards. The worst bit is the floor I had to put in inside the exit porch (but which is over the platforms I'd already completed) because I needed something to support the single post at the end of the arch. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though, that end of the platform was laid out as a garden so half the problem can be concealed by a shed which appears in a few photos I have and the rest by a flower bed ;)

Likewise I'm sure I can plonk some suitable platform paraphernalia against the end of the building on platforms 2 & 3.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »
Stunning. You must be pleased. . . Thank you for sharing your hard work on the layout. The local history society would take an interest in those buildings!

I certainly had to look twice at the hard work on your buildings and the ballasting around the track, i am once lost forwords !!!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:39:05 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
Just back from an excellent holiday in Coniston, and pleased to relate that I had a most excellent guided tour of the old station area last Sunday by Chris himself.

Seeing the recent progress made on the model is really impressive, and I can testify that although I canít see N scale versions of Chris and I walking about the area in his recent photos  ;) , all is a wonderful re-creation of what was sadly demolished and replaced by anonymous identi-industrial units.

Walking the paths and tarmac beneath the retaining walls that tame the hillside with Chris, I got a real sense of the labour and ingenuity that had gone into building the original site, and though the Station building itself has gone, the soul of the place remains. With Chrisís enthusiasm and detailed knowledge echoed in every square inch of his model, I look forward to one day seeing it in operation.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

ps - Chris, I was wrong about the Borrowdale Volcanics. :doh: Fading memory I suppose.  :(  The southern edge of Coniston Old Man is a geologic boundary for the Coniston slate, but with limestones, not volcanics. It is that junction that is seen clearly at Timley Knott, as I was reminded when I walked beside it on Thursday. Apologies.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
Thanks, guys - although I think that I ought to point pout that the "detailed knowledge" with which you credit me is limited to only that which I've needed to try and recreate the station in miniature ;-)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
I may have missed a thread. Please, how did you achieve the local stone effect on your buildings? The louvres and the roof are eye catching? Its ok just catching up with threads as haue not got a lot of things going on today

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
I may have missed a thread. Please, how did you achieve the local stone effect on your buildings? The louvres and the roof are eye catching?

Thanks. The stone walls were made from the various photos I took of the real walls remaining at the site, resized so they would print out to scale and tiled to expand the photos so that they'd cover a larger area.
The louvres and slate roofing were done in a similar way, albeit not with photos from the original Coniston coz there aren't any still there unfortunately.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Taking Coniston down to the clubroom tonight, ready for our open day on June 1st and that's the first nagging doubt out of the way. Phew - it does fit in the car, just  :thumbsup:
That's all three baseboards, the 8' folding table on which it sits and the scaffolding adjustable feet that I use for level adjustment - although I did have to unscrew those from the boards on which I fitted them to spread the load better over a carpeted floor. Yes, I have packed the screws and a screwdriver so I can put them back on.

Just a box containing the cables, control panel and "testing" stock still to go in, that'll fit in the front passenger footwell.

Next nagging doubt to come - can we get it up the stairs and round the corner into the first room? We should be able to since I got it down my stairs which have a complete u-turn in them, however the proof will only come from trying it tonight.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
Hope coniston is we ll received with positive comments. Chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
Hope coniston is we ll received with positive comments. Chris

Thanks mate.

For starters, however, I'll be happy if it gets there in the same number of pieces as when it set out, gets up the stairs and all goes back together and works properly  :)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »
Thatts a challenge and always one of my planning ciriteria

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »
Best wishes for a successful Open Day with Coniston, Chris. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »

Next nagging doubt to come - can we get it up the stairs and round the corner into the first room? We should be able to since I got it down my stairs which have a complete u-turn in them, however the proof will only come from trying it tonight.

You've not seen in and out of the guest room through which the layout room is for Milliedale on Sea, I actually have no idea if it can be gotten out of the house! :D

The stairs into the loft conversion are in the wrong place so one of the roof joists narrows the top of the stairs.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
Well, I'm pleased to report that;
a) it came apart as designed OK.
b) it made it down the stairs at home.
c) it did fit in the car.
d) it made it down to the clubroom in almost the same number of pieces (*) as it started out.
e) it fitted going up the stairs to the clubroom.
f) it all went back together OK
g) wonder of wonders, it all worked correctly first time
h) big sigh of relief

(*) one lump of clump foliage fell off  >:(

The reactions of the club members? Much the same as those I've had from you kind people over the past few months, I did just about manage to get my head back out through the door ;-)

And they haven't seen the station building and train shed yet - at least you've had some previews of it ;-)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:01 AM »
Pleased coniston was received well and travelled well.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Congratulations, Chris.

The praise you received was certainly well-deserved.

Exhibiting the layout in its 'local' area is a wonderful thing.  Perhaps, in due course, you will get opportunities to show it to a wider and more general audience in the Lancashire North of the Sands area.  It will, I'm sure, be of great interest.  A bit like the model of Bude station that I recall seeing in  Bude museum.  I wonder if it's still there...

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here