!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12955 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
i saw these :

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/16f2082d-97a5-4d85-99d6-0cc05259858d

clsest shot i can see c 1957 footbridge

http://www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/cumbria_railway_photograph_collection.html

Cheers mate. I've gone for the Langley kit of the Midland bridge that used to be at Bakewell. It's not completely correct but after my modifications it'll be close enough. Better than if I'd tried scratchbuilding TBH.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
i was unsure chris, if you knew of this information or had seen these sites or photos. very historic and interesting. wish you well and chris,enjoy the selection of materials

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
Well, as I said a few days ago, I've mostly been kitbashing and here's the chamber of horrors;

Exhibit A is the water column.

This started out life as a P&D Marsh M.R. Ground Mounted Water Crane kit and was the closest that I could find to suit the original; at Coniston - with some modification.
The kit crane has a swan-neck swinging arm for reaching centrally mounted tender water fillers.  however the one at Coniston didn't have a swinging arm, presumably because the locos stabled there were all tank locos so had fillers right at their sides. I assume that visiting tender locos would have filled up elsewhere.
Anyway, the kit was easily modified to better represent the Coniston column, by cutting off the swan-neck arm and the canvas "bag" from the end of that, and glueing the bag directly to the column with a length of
rod inserted so that the bag hung right down to the ground. I also had to cut the base so that the drain sits closer to the column.

The column isn't permanently fitted yet - too much risk of knocking it off or worse while I'm still working in the area. Before I do glue it down I'd better revisit the join between the paint colours.

Exhibit B - the footbridge;

This started out as a kit based on the Midland Railway lattice bridge at originally at Bakewell which whilst not correct for Coniston was the one I felt I stood the best chance of getting closer.
This required the length changing to halfway between the shorter and longer options in the kit, the height reducing and the stairs altering to remove the half-landings halfway up the flights.

I'll be the first to admit that it's far from perfect, being the most fiddly kit I've yet tried - but it'll do for now.

Exhibit C - the loading gauge;

A bog-standard Ratio one, not the perfect design for Coniston but acceptable.

Exhibit D - signals;

These three starting signals for platforms 3 & 2 (with the one for platform 1 in the background) are the Langley Models Single post Lower quadrant kits with the only required mod being to lop a bit off the bottom of the one for platform 2 because it sits on the platform, not the ground. Oh, and for all the signals, removing the GWR finials  >:D

These two required significant mods - for a start, increasing significantly in height because the arms of which we can see the backs needed to be visible over the bridge.

The left-hand one was a Langley Single Post 2 Aspects kit which needed both increasing in height and one of the arms turning around - the arm facing away signalled that an approaching train would be entering, according to my book, the goods yard but I suspect it really meant the loop lines either side of the signal box because a) there was a ground signal for entering the goods yard and b) this post puts the arm on the wrong side of the track. Anyway, the mods were done by cutting off the relevant detail parts of the kit and rejoining them using suitable lengths of brass tube.

The right-hand 3-doll job took a bit more work. It started out as Langley's Triple Post Bracket kit which actually has four arms (two on the middle post) all at different heights, whereas the three-doll one at Coniston had them all at the same height. The mods were done in a similar way to above using more of the brass tube.

Ladders and fencing around the 3-doll bracket platform will be added when I plant the signals permenently.

I hope to be able to get the semaphore arms flapping up and down from the control panel but haven't tested my thoughts as to how I could do that yet, mainly because the components are on a slow boat from China.  For the time being, I've set them all at "clear". Whilst, technically, that means that I should be strictly observing the one engine in steam rule, which I won't, that is preferable to having most movements resulting in a SPAD.

The eagle-eyed may have spotted a ground signal in the first signals pic, I have no intention of trying to make those work.

Exhibit E - a train shed;

Oops, not that one. I haven't envisaged a '60s rebuild using brutalist architecture - really, that's my tool shelf which sits on the same locating tubes as the proper train shed will. I made it because, now I've scenified everywhere I've run out of places to put my tools  :laugh3:

Here's the first development of the proper one, overall view;

Closer view of the southern end;

and of the northern end;

Because it a) spans a board joint and b) will be too tall for when I stack the boards to go in the car, the station buiding, train shed and goods shed structure needs to be removable. The first thing I needed to do was make a rigid framework because the two sides are only joined by the roof so I've made a framework from plywood and brass rod/tube which can then be clad with the real walls and rooves.

The ends are just my first stage designs to make sure they fit before I draw them up properly in Photoshop for printing and assembly. That will keep me busy  :laugh3:

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2019, 02:57:37 PM »
No photo problems for your footbridge of course Chris  :no:  - just nip over the hills to Ravenglass to see the Coniston original. :)

I can't, they took it out some years ago and, when I asked recently , the people there thought it had either been sold or scrapped but didn't know which for sure.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2019, 03:18:23 PM »
No photo problems for your footbridge of course Chris  :no:  - just nip over the hills to Ravenglass to see the Coniston original. :)

I can't, they took it out some years ago and, when I asked recently , the people there thought it had either been sold or scrapped but didn't know which for sure.

Sacrilege !  :o.

I suppose it probably got to be an expensive restoration job for them. Sad all the same.
Like your kit bashed alternative that certainly looks the part. A fiddly structure I would not have the eyes and fingers to build.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
Thank you for the updates. Stunning structures and on  such a beautiful layout they are taking shape. really like the signals and the train shed
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:02:54 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »

Sacrilege !  :o.

I suppose it probably got to be an expensive restoration job for them. Sad all the same.

They took it out when they remodelled Ravenglass station and, presumably no longer had a need for it.

Like your kit bashed alternative that certainly looks the part. A fiddly structure I would not have the eyes and fingers to build.

Thanks - I barely had them either ;)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2019, 08:48:20 AM »
Really starting to come together, it's been a while since I looked at photos of Coniston in detail other than those in this thread, it's really starting to come together and look like the real place.

Slightly envious that in the space of a year or so you've got far further than I have in four years!  :'(

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
Really starting to come together, it's been a while since I looked at photos of Coniston in detail other than those in this thread, it's really starting to come together and look like the real place.

Slightly envious that in the space of a year or so you've got far further than I have in four years!  :'(

Thanks, mate. I'm working on the train shed now, that'll really make it look like it should - I hope.

Actually, it's been less than a year - I ordered the first of the materials for the baseboard on November 1st so it's been going extremely well, to my own surprise  TBH.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
We look forward to the next instalmemt of such a beautiful layout

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Your layout promises to be what us cocknies call a "reet bobby dazzler" :)

Best regards,

Joe

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Just catching up again after missing this thread for a week or two.
Excellent progress I must say.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »
Echo what's been said above. Brilliant.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »
Thanks guys, hope I can live up to your expectations  :thumbsup:

There will be a few week's partial hiatus in a fortnight or so - we're having an open day at the club and the lads want me to take it down for that. Since I haven't yet taken it anywhere apart from (as the separated boards) to another room I'll be taking it down two weeks in advance to make sure that it all a) comes apart OK now I've added the scenery, b) still fits the transport casings, c) actually does fit in the car, d) goes back together properly - and didn't fall apart too much - and e) is all set up and working in time for the open day.

However, that hopefully won't mean a complete break in the work/progress. With any luck I'll have got the basic framework for the combined station building, train shed and goods shed structure to a stage where I can continue with it without it needing to be physically on the layout - then I'll take whatever I have down to the club put in place for the open day.

These are the photoshop images for the train shed ends as far as they go.

The colour scheme is, as far as I can judge, the Furness Railway colours because, although I am modelling it in the late 1930s, the LMS didn't start repainting stations in their own livery until the mid 1930s so it's not impossible that they hadn't got around to Coniston by the late '30s.

I still have to add the slate walls to replace the flat grey areas but I'm working on the east wall (platform 3 and the viewing side) first to make sure that it will both fit and match the ends. That is involving a huge amount of guesswork since all I have from which to work, apart from the length it needs to be, is one long distance photo giving me the approximate side profile for locating the various ridgelines & gable ends and an assortment of closer photos but from very oblique angles, e.g. standing on the edge of platform 3.

Hopefully it'll work out pretty close to what it ought to in the end.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
Good luck with a) through to e) and I hope there's no f) involved ;)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here