!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12306 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2019, 09:58:59 PM »
its a lovely photo and thanks

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2019, 06:49:58 AM »
are you in   this period  photo ?

No, it's from Swallows and Amazons which is set in the Lake District between 1923 and WW2 (as I understand it) Coniston water, Bowness and parts of Windermere are the main locations, the Coppermines valley just up from Coniston station also features.

If Chrism wishes me to remove the post (and this) I'm happy to do so.

No problem at all, it's in keeping with the subject matter of my layout.

You are correct, it was set in 1929 and the children were based upon the children of some friends of Ransome. The lake in the book was an amalgamation of Coniston Water and Windermere and Wildcat Island, where they camped, was an amalgamation for Peel Island on Coniston Water and Blake Holme on Windermere.

Much of the lake scenes filming in the film, the 1974 one from which your photo is a cast photo, was filmed on Derwentwater as well as Windermere and Coniston Water - Captain Flint's houseboat was actually one of the Keswick Launch cruisers heavily made up.
Most of the filming for the 2016 film (good but not as good as the 1994 one, IMO) was on Derwentwater, but the "island" was actually at Plumpton Rocks, near Harrogate.

You posting the pic gives me a thought or two for some dioramas when the layout's further advanced - maybe the family group on the platform, maybe looking over the fence into the goods yard to watch Swallow being unloaded from a  flat wagon?

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »
good luck with this interesting modelling project

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »

No problem at all, it's in keeping with the subject matter of my layout.

You are correct, it was set in 1929 and the children were based upon the children of some friends of Ransome. The lake in the book was an amalgamation of Coniston Water and Windermere and Wildcat Island, where they camped, was an amalgamation for Peel Island on Coniston Water and Blake Holme on Windermere.

Much of the lake scenes filming in the film, the 1974 one from which your photo is a cast photo, was filmed on Derwentwater as well as Windermere and Coniston Water - Captain Flint's houseboat was actually one of the Keswick Launch cruisers heavily made up.
Most of the filming for the 2016 film (good but not as good as the 1994 one, IMO) was on Derwentwater, but the "island" was actually at Plumpton Rocks, near Harrogate.

You posting the pic gives me a thought or two for some dioramas when the layout's further advanced - maybe the family group on the platform, maybe looking over the fence into the goods yard to watch Swallow being unloaded from a  flat wagon?

It was due to Swallows and Amazons that I initially wanted to model Coniston myself, promting a change from 00 to N, but finding the lake so far from the station I turned my attention to Lakeside and started carving from balsa the hull of Tern.

I then got lured into express passenger stock and seaside resort towns, hence Milliedale on Sea, but set on Morcambe bay I do intend on having Swallow and Amazon on the layout.

I do somewhere have a plan of which bits of the lakes Ransome was describing and how they fit together to create the lake, I've been to 'Wild Cat Island twice, once by canoe and once under sail, getting the dinghy straight in the harbour before thinking how I'll get it out again!

Don't forget the parrot and Gibber (the Monkey) perhaps they are on their way to begin the adventures in Great Northern? which is set sailing in the Outer Hebrides, I believe both Swallow and Amazon were taken onboard to be used as ships tenders, but it's some time since I read it I could be confusing it with the flight of fantasy that is 'Missee Lee'

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »

Don't forget the parrot and Gibber (the Monkey) perhaps they are on their way to begin the adventures in Great Northern? which is set sailing in the Outer Hebrides, I believe both Swallow and Amazon were taken onboard to be used as ships tenders, but it's some time since I read it I could be confusing it with the flight of fantasy that is 'Missee Lee'

In Swallows and Amazons, Polly was still Captain Flint's parrot - he gave him to Titty as thanks for finding his stolen trunk. Gibber appeared a few books later, IIRC in Peter Duck.

Amazon was definitely taken as the tender in Peter Duck (not sure about Missee Lee, not my favourite of the books) but I don't think Swallow was used in either - Amazon belonged to the Blacketts whereas Swallow was only borrowed from the farmer at Holly Howe.

I don't recall either being used in Great Northern, the ship they'd borrowed was already suitably equipped with boats IIRC.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »
Well, spring has sprung - in real anger at Coniston even if not in my veggie patch as yet.

Most of the basic scenery is now complete and awaiting further details as and when I think of them. There will be more clump foliage dotted around, when it arrives, and quite a few trees still to be added in the background at the northern end to conceal the disappearing roads and to try and better hide the track as it curves around the the fiddle yard. I am somewhat restricted in height at this end if I'm to be able to fit it all in the car so I may have to resort to inserting "sockets" into which trees can be inserted when it's all set up again.
The slope directly in front of the station also requires trees (quite a lot of them) but I'll leave it for now so that I can work on the station area without demolishing the trees and also so I can determine how high to make them so as to not completely obscure an observer's view of the station.
In both cases I have yet to either learn how to make my own or decide which of the (cheaper) commercially made trees I dislike the least.

In the meantime I've also sorted the platforms properly, with slate facings and top surfaces of edging slabs backed by gravel - except where the station building and train shed will be which, on platform 1, is slabs throughout.

I can now start to make/add the detail items which I couldn't until now because they'd have probably been rapidly demolished as I continued with the basic terrain scenery. I have the loading gauge to paint and fit, ditto the footbridge, water column and signals - the latter to do some experiments to see if I can rig a way of making them flap down and up, but not the ground signals, those are too tiny.
Oh, and I do have one or two buildings to make too.

Anyway, here's a few (or lots of) piccies.
Firstly, a general view looking from the south-east.

And a similar one from the north-east.

Now a series looking roughly straight-on from the east, this being the station approach and bridge with a Black 5 entering the station with an excursion from Blackpool.

The loco yard and turntable with the 3F over the ashpit and the Cauliflower "parked" in what will be the loco shed. 

The southern end of the goods yard with the cattle landing dock and coal yard almost complete.

The southern end of the station.

And more of the station.

The northern end with a Jinty propelling wagons up to the copper/slate wharf up the valley.

A closer view of the Jinty as it crosses the bridge over Station Road. I should have hoovered a bit better under the bridge  :doh:

A closer view of the Black 5 passing the loco yard as it enters the station.

A higher viewpoint look at the southern end of the layout. Oh dear, those plastic check rails do stand out, and a few areas that are shy on ballast  :(

The 4F waiting to depart with the wagons from Trumpton colliery now that they've been emptied into the coal staithes.

A closer view of the cattle loading dock and coal yard.

I think I may have gone a little OTT with the latter, however. The coal staithes use parts of the Ratio ones, topped off with more realistic looking coal and a liberal sprinkling of real coal dust. I still have to add the office building and weighbridge, plus the vehicle crossing over the slate wharf siding in front.

The cattle loading dock is a mixture of the P&D Marsh cattle dock and lineside fencing kits. I needed to use both because their cattle dock kit includes pens for holding the animals whereas the Coniston one doesn't, so the kit was a little heavy on gates and light on plain fencing. However the lineside fencing kit uses the same moulds so I was able to add fencing from that.

The yard crane is not correct for Coniston so it's a "doofa" until I either find a more correct one of suitable bits to make it myself.

A closer look at the loco yard and turntable. The 3F is still over the ashpit and the Cauliflower still "parked" in what will be the loco shed.  The wagon on the spur beside the 3F is for disposing of ash whilst the one this side of the turntable is for loco coal. A small coaling platform will go beside that wagon at the far end of the loco shed.

A closer view of the station platforms with the Fairburn Tank waiting to take a local train up the line to Foxfield.
I'm quite pleased with the effect of the stone facings and gravel on the platforms - actually printed card and sandpaper. I'm not so pleased with the fence at the back of platform 1, however. Well, the fence itself is fine but the installation is lousy.

And, finally, just in case I ever forget where it is I'm supposed to be building. The nameboard came about as a lucky find. One of the chaps at the club was looking through a box of papers and stuff and found an envelope labelled "Coniston Station" containing a CD. When I looked on it I found it had quite a few useful photos of the station shortly before closure and during demolition, including one almost square-on of the nameboard. I took that one and colourised it to make the model nameboard.

At times I really hate cameras, they are very adept at showing up flaws that one didn't see before. That flipping fencing really is all over the place and will have to be redone, whilst the nameboard is slightly pi**ed on its frame  :(

Well, that's all folks. Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for looking.
Most future updates will, I dare say, be more concentrating on details as I get them made and added.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2019, 01:11:45 PM »
thank you for the updates. the trees are fantastic, very much hide the baseboard edges, the scenics really give a feel for the locality / area and the ballasting is superb.

the locomotives are very crisply lettered picked out depicting the LMS in that black livery. chris,seriously impressed how well developed this proect is.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
thank you for the updates. the trees are fantastic, very much hide the baseboard edges, the scenics really give a feel for the locality / area and the ballasting is superb.

Thanks, mate. The clump foliage was specifically put in place to hide the joins but I was pleasantly surprised by how well just the flocked surfaces did it too.

chris,seriously impressed how well developed this proect is.

Staggered is the word I'd use. Six months ago, when I was just getting ready to order the first bits I'd never have guessed I'd have got this far by now considering that I hadn't done any railway modelling for about 40 years, never in N Gauge and never having attempted to do so much with it.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
Chris. Staggered, stunoed. Wow. Speechless. Its worthy of being published. . Exhibited. For somebody returning to modelling wow. Keep up the good work. Its an excuse if ever in lancaster to visit. Chris

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
Thank you very much indeed for that excellent post.  You are making truly splendid progress.

With all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
Excellent work, Chris.

At times I really hate cameras, they are very adept at showing up flaws that one didn't see before.

That's what make digital cameras so useful as shots can be easily deleted. Use the camera to your advantage i.e. take your pic and check it for any flaws, correct the flaw and then delete the pic :)

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
Thank you very much indeed for that excellent post.  You are making truly splendid progress.

Thanks, John. I certainly seem to be getting there.

Excellent work, Chris.

Thanks, Mick.

At times I really hate cameras, they are very adept at showing up flaws that one didn't see before.

That's what make digital cameras so useful as shots can be easily deleted. Use the camera to your advantage i.e. take your pic and check it for any flaws, correct the flaw and then delete the pic :)

I always do check for flaws - oh, you meant flaws in the subject, not the pic itself  ;D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
the platforms look good too

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
the platforms look good too

Thanks mate. They certainly beat plywood facing s and a painted black top surface  :)

There are a couple of uneven edges where I found the Fairburn's combination lever fouled them but not too bad and not too noticable. The slabs are card overlapping the faces a little so, if I get anything else that fouls them, it shouldn't be hard to trim them back a bit more.

I've fixed the fence on platform 1 now - just needed a gauge to prevent the long posts going further down the holes than the length of the short ones. Looks a lot better now - but that wouldn't have been hard.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Thanks chris. I read in model rail the tutorials. What materials did you use please to construct your platforms? More realistic than the tacky ones in the shops. Thank you for tutorials. Stunning layout. Chris

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything