!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2019, 02:03:59 PM »
A quick piccie of the Cauliflower entering Coniston through the new under construction overbridge...

The photograph caught my attention and I was wondering how you had made such a stunning model.  Then I read the text and found out.  Very clever; very clever indeed.

It's a great photograph; the 'Cauliflower' certainly looks the part in the scene.

Thanks for that. Did your new pride and joy run well and exceed expectations? Chris

Oh definitely - 3F to order now  :thumbsup:

Excellent!  I rather think that you'll be pleased with it.  Two little, black, LMS locomotives... but they look very different.

Thank you very much for the photograph and informative post.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
A quick piccie of the Cauliflower entering Coniston through the new under construction overbridge...

The photograph caught my attention and I was wondering how you had made such a stunning model.  Then I read the text and found out.  Very clever; very clever indeed.

Cheers, mate.

My original thought was to simply photograph as large a slate wall as I could find and turn that into a scenic paper to use for everything. The largest wall I know is at Honister slate mine but, of course, that is Honister Slate which is subtly different from Coniston slate. Having seen so much of the basic structures still at Coniston I decided to try and use something from there instead - then realised that I might as well use photos of the actual originals where possible.

Of course, I'll have to use a selection of walls from what's still there for the buildings which are not - although I hope to use the same trick for the slate office which still stands and which I photographed (with a known size object in the frame to aid the scaling) yesterday.

Oh definitely - 3F to order now  :thumbsup:

Excellent!  I rather think that you'll be pleased with it.  Two little, black, LMS locomotives... but they look very different.

Indeed they do - I googled them to see if there is sufficient difference to justify getting them both, and decided that there is  :thumbsup:

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Ordered the UM 3F this morning so, hopefully, by this time tomorrow the Cauliflower won't be feeling quite so put out at being the only geriatric loco at Coniston.

On the scenery front, I've made up some more scenic papers for the site retaining wall, etc. and done most of the landscape remodelling for the road leading down from the overbridge. Whilst waiting for the last application of filler to set enough to sand I gave the cliff face behind the coal siding a going over. I've dry brushed (or tried to) over some patches with a lighter grey and two shades orange to simulate iron traces in the rock. I then dry brushed a bit more of the dark grey over some of those to blend them in a bit. Hopefully it'll look OK once I've dotted various bits of foliage around - especially at the baseboard join.

Then I moved to the other end of the layout and had a go at applying flock to one area - yet another "first,  never done it before" for me.  Surprisingly I don't appear to have made too much of a mess. The truth will tell when the glue's dried and I hoover up the surplus.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
Im glad your cauliflower will have a shed mate in the 3f. Look forward to photos and the appropropriate coaches and wagons. The retaining wall looks stunning and realistic. Chris

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »
The retaining wall looks stunning and realistic.

It should do, seeing as it's made from a photo of the original suitably photoshopped to get it the right scale height and tiled to give the required length. It beats paying for commercial scenic paper that will never be quite correct  :D

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »
Then I moved to the other end of the layout and had a go at applying flock to one area - yet another "first,  never done it before" for me.  Surprisingly I don't appear to have made too much of a mess. The truth will tell when the glue's dried and I hoover up the surplus.

I'm a novice at flocking as well.  I find it takes three coats (maybe four) to get the effect I'm looking for.  I brush off and save what surplus flock I can, before giving the flocked area a thorough going-over with the Dyson.

Great news about the '3F'!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »

I'm a novice at flocking as well.  I find it takes three coats (maybe four) to get the effect I'm looking for.  I brush off and save what surplus flock I can, before giving the flocked area a thorough going-over with the Dyson.

Yes, I reckon I'll need several coats too - having seen the results after waving my handheld vacuum over it. Still looks better than my emulsioned surface though.

Do you use neat PVA or diluted? For this first try I used the same as I did for the ballasting, 50:50 PVA and water with a drop of washing up liquid.

Great news about the '3F'!

The Cauliflower seemed pleased when I told it that there was another 0-6-0 winging its way over the sea to keep it company.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Practice makes perfect. I would aim 50.50, but go with what you feel comfortable with working in small sections at a time and stopping to see how it looks, blending shades, dealing with glue etc. Nothing worse than henry sucking vacuuming up the fruits of labour

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
Do you use neat PVA or diluted? For this first try I used the same as I did for the ballasting, 50:50 PVA and water with a drop of washing up liquid.

I think it's a matter of trial and error.  As Martin @port perran helpfully pointed out recently, not all PVAs are the same.  I was very happy with 'Diall Decorator's PVA' from B&Q, as it didn't need to be diluted.  When my bottle ran out, I found that they had discontinued it.  The nearest product they had in stock was 'Diall Adhesive, Sealer, Primer'.  It is thicker.  It is a 'water based PVA emulsion' and it's British-made.  Good!  After experimenting, I now I dilute it about 2/3 PVA to 1/3 water using warm-ish water from the kettle a while after having made tea.

For flocking, I brush the dilute PVA on.  I once tried adding a drop of washing-up liquid, as for ballasting, and got bubbles!  The brushing action appears enough to break the surface tension, so I don't use detergent now.  The 'eye-dropper' action with ballasting benefits greatly from detergent, in my experience.  But the loose ballast is in place, whereas I brush on the PVA and then sprinkle the flock over it, so different techniques.

And, another hint I picked up from Martin; gently press the flock down into the PVA.

Lots of thanks to Martin.

Best wishes.

John

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »

And, another hint I picked up from Martin; gently press the flock down into the PVA.

Cheers, mate. I had wondered whether or not to do that.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
would agree with the above techniques and gently work a bit at a time with thumbs and small areas work in scrape odd bits away from tracks but i use coffee stirrers from costa just as a marker before any delicate work and have old newspapers ready if i drop any easier to recover and re use, saves wastage

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
What a great layout.

Looking very nice pal.

Stayed in Coniston many times and wandered along the old path of the line as much as possible.

Keep up the updates  :thumbsup:

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »
I've usually mixed a bit of poster paint (British Leyland brown usually) in with the PVA so that any bubbles or bare patches don't show white but simply show 'mud'

Looking forward to more pictures as progress advances, I keep checking my bank balance in hope that I have enough for a loco but I know I must keep what I have for electronics to get things running - that and I can't decide between a Prince of Wales or a Cauliflower.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2019, 06:14:29 AM »
Thanks guys.

Hopefully the next photos will show the southern end of the layout largely complete. I slapped my usual coat of emulsion on the revised landscape last night and it doesn't look like it needs more filler so I can get on with the proper bridge, walls, road and  fields - hopefully  ;)

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2019, 06:29:31 AM »
Hopefully your loco should be delivered from the works and the best stock in the carriage shed and wagon works awaits. Glad the painting went well

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything