!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12273 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
I'm really glad that you are happy with the Cauliflower.  I'm guessing it's your first Union Mills locomotive.  It'll likely pull all your rolling stock.  In my experience, couplings along the train part before a UM locomotive stalls.

It is indeed my first - I hadn't even heard f them until recently.
I wouldn't be surprised oif it can pull all my stock - My Farish Jinty (the new one, not the GP Tank that vaguely resembles one) can pull all my freight stock and that hasn't got so much weight over the wheels, has larger driven wheels and no traction tyres.

The UM service is as good as it gets.  By coincidence, the catapult was aimed in the direction of Midlothian today as well!

Aha, on what have you been splashing out?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »

The UM service is as good as it gets.  By coincidence, the catapult was aimed in the direction of Midlothian today as well!

To be revealed over the next day or two in the Poppingham thread...

Thank you.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

To be revealed over the next day or two in the Poppingham thread...

You tease  ;D

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
It'll likely pull all your rolling stock.  In my experience, couplings along the train part before a UM locomotive stalls.

Impressed is definitely an understatement.

I've just had the Cauliflower pulling absolutely all my stock - 34 assorted vintage Peco, Farish, Minitrix and Lima 4-wheel wagons, 6 modern Farish Stanier coaches and 3 old Farish suburban type coaches. That "little" lot is the full length of the scenic side of Coniston taking the longest route through.

I set it for the most convoluted route I can, over all the crossovers to and through the passing loop outside the excursion platform on the scenic side and through the most offset, shortest fiddle yard loop - and the little Cauliflower didn't bat an eyelid  :thumbsup:

Nothing else I have got anywhere close. The Fairburn and 4F just slipped but couldn't pull away, The Black 5 pulled away but slipped to a standstill partway round the tight bend at the northern end of the layout, and both the modern Farish Jinty and the old farish GP tank got partway through the fiddle yard before slipping to a standstill. I didn't bother trying the old Peco Jubilee because I know it'll uncouple on the tightest curve, it always does even with only three or four coaches.

Thanks for the recommendation, John.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:33 PM »
I have a G2 and 3F I cant wait to run them on my layout if I ever get it released from train prison.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:20 PM »
I have a G2 and 3F I cant wait to run them on my layout if I ever get it released from train prison.

Having seen and run the Cauliflower I have a feeling that the 3F will be on my shopping list.

The G2, fine looking beast that it is, is really way too OTT for Coniston. Such a loco really needs a long layout to show off its freight hauling capabilities to their best.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
im pleased the cauliflower passed the test, the locomotive,i meant - what hauling capability !!!!

now to the 3F to join the Coniston shed / family

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »
I'm glad and relieved that you like the 'Cauliflower'.  Recommending something can be a worrying thing to do.  The combination of a good product, fair price and wonderful service makes Union Mills one of the easier recommendations to make.

With regard to matters '3F', Motive Power Officers from the Furness Section are cordially invited to visit* the Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway thread, where, amongst a very great deal of silliness they might see something of interest.

* Refreshments will be served.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
Im pleased union mills delivered the goods successfully. Look forward to photos and glad customer service and mechanical reliability were good

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
* Refreshments will be served.

Couldn't find the buffet, but I did find the 3F - I think might well be on the phone to across the water on Monday  :thumbsup:

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »
A quick piccie of the Cauliflower entering Coniston through the new under construction overbridge;

The previous, white plastic, bridge was only a temporary affair and was always intended to be replaced. I had considered simply covering it with scenic paper (either my own or commercially available) but then I thought, "Well the original is still in place."

So I was off up to big Coniston yesterday with the camera, photographing details of everything that still remains, then sat down with Photoshop resizing the images to 2mm scale, albeit making the bridge a tad wider than scale to accommodate the overhangs of the stock on a very unprototypical curve.

Therefore, if the bridge and walls look something  like a photograph, there's a very good reason for it - they are  :D

The top of the lefthand retaining wall has the road coming down from the bridge behind it so I've also photographed that side of the wall and will make the whole shebang by gluing the resized photos to thick card. Initially I'll make the top surface by copying the upper stones and "stretching" them.

I'll be doing all the other walls in a similar fashion. I'm not sure how, or if, I can make the real wall tops of vertical slate slabs stuck on top every 8" or so - presumably to stop people sitting on them.

In the meantime, I have a lot of reworking to do on the scenery at that end of the layout. Now I have photos of the real thing I can adjust the gradient of the road to be correct instead of my previous, as is now apparent, not very good guesstimate.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
Thanks for that. Did your new pride and joy run well and exceed expectations? Chris

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
Thanks for that. Did your new pride and joy run well and exceed expectations? Chris

Oh definitely - 3F to order now  :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
chris

takeit you saw this link to help you make your mind  up:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=980.0

thanks for the photo. that will have mick newport nobby rather pleased

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
takeit you saw this link to help you make your mind  up:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=980.0

Actually, no. I've never seen that thread before  :-[

It was solely the recommendations on this thread followed by a couple of googles to confirm that it's not the white-headed variety of the brassica family which I have, to date, had little success growing  :o

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:08:08 PM by chrism, Reason: spooling mistale »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here