!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 10812 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
Cheers, John.

I'm getting there - gradually ;)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 08:15:42 PM »
Glad I found this thread, spent a number of good times up at Coniston including proposing to my wife up in the Coppermines valley up beyond the station (we were aiming for the top of the Old Man, but it was October 2008, that weekend they were winching fell runners off the fells so we didn't get very far!

I considered Coniston as my own layout but chose lakeside as I wanted the steamers on there and in the end built neither (I blame the wife, progress stopped when we met!)

Looking forwards to seeing progress, with regards locomotive options, have you had a look at what Union Mills produces, he makes a few LMS and LNWR locos (3F and G2 spring to mind) while not being Furness locos, it may expand options for your fleet.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »
Glad I found this thread, spent a number of good times up at Coniston including proposing to my wife up in the Coppermines valley up beyond the station (we were aiming for the top of the Old Man, but it was October 2008, that weekend they were winching fell runners off the fells so we didn't get very far!

Was that the weekend that the Mountain Marathon was abandoned, with hundreds of competitors taking shelter at Honister? If so, I was driving back from west Scotland that day - it wasn't until I got close to Glasgow that I was able to be sure that I was definitely driving on roads rather than river beds. A horrendous journey.

Looking forwards to seeing progress, with regards locomotive options, have you had a look at what Union Mills produces, he makes a few LMS and LNWR locos (3F and G2 spring to mind) while not being Furness locos, it may expand options for your fleet.

I have a 3F now, the new Farish one - it was quite an eyeopener to compare it with the old Farish general purpose 0-6-0 tank and to see how wrong that is for a Jinty.
I did consider the G2 but I doubt that they went to Coniston - either through route availability restrictions or simply that the volume of traffic wouldn't justify sending one. The Black 5's (and at least one Jubilee) only turned up there because they were hauling tourist specials from Blackpool.

The current state of progress is that I've sorted the board joins now, both on the scenery and the missing sleepers at the track ends and I've now had to take the layout apart and convert the room back from a workshop to a bedroom pending the arrival of visitors who, for some reason, want a bed with some room above to sleep on rather than trying to limbo dance under a model railway  :no:

However, until they arrive work has not stopped since I can lay one board at a time out in another room so I can start on what is going to be my first real eye-straining task - the point rodding. I've seen some fantastic jobs done by other members, on Wrenton in particular.

However, I'm not too keen on using wire for the rods if I can avoid it, it just doesn't look right for inverted U-channel rods as used at Coniston. Also, on some I've seen which although they do look good, the wire used and/or the spacing appears somewhat over scale - particularly since I need to run 8 rods through the tight space  between the turntable and the adjacent track.

So, for my first try, I'm going to make the stools from 2mm x 1mm plastikard strips stood on plinths of more 2mm x 1mm with 0.3mm square plastikard rods on top of them, all topped off with a length of 0.2mm wire across the top to represent the upper rollers and tops of the stools. 0.3mm is, I think, still a bit over scale (about 50% too thick) for the rods but ought to be close enough and still workable with a strong pair of specs.

If that doesn't work or I deem it to be too flimsy or not looking right , then I'll use the 0.2mm wire for the rods as well.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »
Ah, not the Fowler 3F 0-6-0T Jinty, but the Johnson 3F which is quite similar in appearance to the Fowler 4F 0-6-0

There's a few others he has produced and likely to do as batches in the future (price new is about 60-80 so don't pay too much second hand)

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »
Ah, not the Fowler 3F 0-6-0T Jinty, but the Johnson 3F which is quite similar in appearance to the Fowler 4F 0-6-0

Ah right, I wasn't aware of that one. My LMS and predeessors knowledge is still building, my "history" is GWR when I was  last modelling about 40 years ago and SR/LSWR from when I was a volunteer on the Watercress line for part of the intervening period.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »
I've picked up a fair bit of info over the past couple of years, Milliedale On Sea (my current 'layout') is claimed to be an ex LNWR and ex MR on Morcambe bay.

I'm currently compiling info to create a push pull unit from old Farish coaches if that's of any use to you when I get that far? (can't remember what used to run on the Coniston branch)

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
I've picked up a fair bit of info over the past couple of years, Milliedale On Sea (my current 'layout') is claimed to be an ex LNWR and ex MR on Morcambe bay.

I'm currently compiling info to create a push pull unit from old Farish coaches if that's of any use to you when I get that far? (can't remember what used to run on the Coniston branch)

As far as I can see from the books I have, they did use a push-pull set operated using ex-L&Y Aspinall 2-4-2s or Ivatt 2MTs, but they also used non push-pull sets as well and other locos may have operated the push-pull at times. Thee are photos of Jinties on passenger stock, presumably not push-pull because the loco is at the Foxfield end of the train.

The FR steam railmotor with trailer car was retired around the time of WWI so I don't need to worry about that and the only diseasels were a short-lived trial with AEC DMUs in the mid-fifties (after my timescale) which couldn't cope with the gradients and the MetroVic Co-B os that operated the wrecking trains after closure - and I'm definitely not modelling that period  :D

Even the Blackpool excursions got a variety of locos, frequently Black 5's but a Jubilee was used at least once and one of the books has a photo captioned as a Fowler 2-6-2 with the Blackpool corridor train - it would take the train as far as Ulverston where something else would take it on to Blackpool.

My current fleet comprises a Black 5 and a Jubilee which, with all or part of a 6-car rake of Stanier coaches, can be the Blackpool excursions, a Fowler 4F which (although probably not prototypical for the line) can handle some of the freight, a Jinty and a Farish general purpose 0-6-0T which can handle either freight or a local train of three older Farish LMS coaches, possibly suburban stock in reality, and a Fairburn 2-6-4  4MT which, although actually outside my timescale but I like the look of them, can have a go at any of the operations. That lot will do for now, when I've got the layout done I can consider having a bash at making other locos, or acquiring them.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
Using this wonderful resource and by clicking 'Sites' then 'Depots' you could find the nearest depot to your modelled area and if you click on it and then 'Locos Allocated' you'll end up with a really useful list of locos you could use................

http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »
I heard rumours that Dapol are going to do another release of the Ivatt tank engine, I bought one about 9 years ago when I was still planning on building Lakeside, it's run so badly that I've never been able to reliably run it or been happy to sell it in it's condition!

I'm guessing there was a change of loco to meet weight restrictions?

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Using this wonderful resource and by clicking 'Sites' then 'Depots' you could find the nearest depot to your modelled area and if you click on it and then 'Locos Allocated' you'll end up with a really useful list of locos you could use................

Thanks, that is certainly an interesting resource. Unfortunately, the only pre-WWII allocation it has for Barrow-in-Furness was a Stanier 6P5F mogul for about ten weeks in 1937, so I'll still have to "wing it" and assume that some of the other types were there before the war just not listed.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
I heard rumours that Dapol are going to do another release of the Ivatt tank engine, I bought one about 9 years ago when I was still planning on building Lakeside, it's run so badly that I've never been able to reliably run it or been happy to sell it in it's condition!

I'm in no hurry, I'll just keep my eyes open. I did look at an Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT on fleabay but the seller wants too much for it - 90 unboxed second-hand when one can pick up an, albeit in BR livery, new one for under 100.

The Fowler 2-6-2 only going to Ulverston?
Could be, but Black 5s and at least one Jubilee went all the way to Coniston. It could have been that the original loco bringing the train from Blackpool failed or was required for other duties, it could be that the return train was intended to be tacked onto another coming from Barrow or further up the coast.
The caption does say that that particular Fowler spent most of its time as the Barrow Central pilot, so a train engine failure sounds very possible.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »

I'm in no hurry, I'll just keep my eyes open. I did look at an Ivatt 2-6-0 2MT on fleabay but the seller wants too much for it - 90 unboxed second-hand when one can pick up an, albeit in BR livery, new one for under 100.

The Fowler 2-6-2 only going to Ulverston?
Could be, but Black 5s and at least one Jubilee went all the way to Coniston. It could have been that the original loco bringing the train from Blackpool failed or was required for other duties, it could be that the return train was intended to be tacked onto another coming from Barrow or further up the coast.
The caption does say that that particular Fowler spent most of its time as the Barrow Central pilot, so a train engine failure sounds very possible.

re-liverying from BR into LMS isn't that hard as the M usually covers where the BR crest was so any marks made in removing (T-cut and blunt cocktail stick being the preferred way) are covered over and you can be lazy with the smokebox door number and just remove the 4 from the front :D

summer specials could have all manner of rolling stock and locos on them simply based on what was available, 4F's weren't uncommon I'm told taking day trippers from the mill towns of Yorkshire and Lancashire to the coast for the day.

I'm modelling 1947, I've got a 2P and might find a 4P at some time to represent the use of older locos for tourist traffic
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:05:36 PM by Black Sheep »

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »

Thanks, that is certainly an interesting resource. Unfortunately, the only pre-WWII allocation it has for Barrow-in-Furness was a Stanier 6P5F mogul for about ten weeks in 1937, so I'll still have to "wing it" and assume that some of the other types were there before the war just not listed.

ive nearly finished a Stanier Mogul (its nearly two years old) if I can do it anyone can :)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:55 PM »
ive nearly finished a Stanier Mogul (its nearly two years old) if I can do it anyone can :)

You keep telling me this, but I'm not sure I believe you yet!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »

You keep telling me this, but I'm not sure I believe you yet!

What are you trying to say? :angel:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything