!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 9574 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »
thanks for sharing

loooks like a photo of real railway track and an exceptional view. chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2019, 06:43:58 AM »
The rodding looks absolutely fabulous!
Best wishes.
John
[/quote[

thanks for sharing
loooks like a photo of real railway track and an exceptional view. chris

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, guys.

I have to admit that I'm more than a little chuffed myself with the way it turned out. The hours spent peering through two pairs of specs and a magnifying glass paid off in the end.

However, before any one asks, no I am not intending to try adding the signal cables, pulleys, etc. nor the point rodding compensators - having done the rods and a few individual cranks I now definitely know my limitations.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Awesome stuff! You're a braver man than me, that's for sure!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
chris

again, beautiful layout. there was a link at L

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31722.0

it just looks too fiddly and with health issues or in my case time and sausage fingers erm, but this is your interpretation. well done. chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
Awesome stuff! You're a braver man than me, that's for sure!  :thumbsup:

Or just madder  ;D

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31722.0

it just looks too fiddly and with health issues or in my case time and sausage fingers erm, but this is your interpretation. well done. chris

Thanks, I saw that one amongst all the results for searches I did both on here and via Google, but decided that trying to assemble etched bits was definitely beyond my abilities, certainly at this stage of my 2mm modelling development - and moving rods in 2mm almost certainly beyond my abilities ever.

I also took the view that if seen from a "normal" viewing distance of a few feet, is anyone really going to notice (or quibble) if the stools aren't the correct shape? So I went for something that gives a close approximation to the right appearance, i.e. a row of closely spaced rods. Thinking about it, one could probably get a pretty close effect using appropriate width lengths of scored plastikard because the prototypical rods are only, from memory, about 1" wide spaced less than about " apart - and they'd be flat topped so a better representation of the inverted U-channel rods many railways used.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
seeing the packs manufacturers make at shows this year and how fiddly they were made me think twice. a true inspiration to us all chris. and still reviewing your work - surely agree with yours and others comments. chris

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »
Whilst waiting for the micro-quarry to deliver more stone so that I can finish the ballasting, I decided to rig up a lighting bar above the layout so that I can take better lit photos than I have up to now - also so that I can see what I'm doing at times.

These should give you a better impression of what Coniston will be like when I get it completed;

The backscene is neither properly fitted nor, even, remotely correct. It's just a tiled image that I downloaded, printed and taped together. It is, however, considerably better than the white card I have previously used. Ultimately I intend to take a photograph from the other side of the valley (I've already found the ideal location) and use that - with a bit of photoshopping to get rid of some houses that didn't exist in the late 1930s and some more recent alterations that have been made to one that did.

I'm pleased to see that the point rodding shows up pretty well even in the shots showing the entire layout.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Starting to look very good indeed.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
looking good so far. a superb layout, patience and hard work will  be worth it and the fruits of labour for a beautiful layout !!!

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
Those are great photos.

I love the curved platforms.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
Very nice indeed,

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
This layout just keeps on getting better!

Thank you for these excellent photographs.

I agree with Joe regarding the curved platforms.  Your photographs clearly show the tight curve through the excursion platform.  I understand that this caused occasional difficulties for the Big Coniston.  Hopefully, all will be well on your smaller one.

I think a Union Mills 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0 would be just the thing on Coniston.  I know that they are particularly associated with the CK&PR, but they are, to me, redolent of steam in Lakeland.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. I'm certainly happy with the way it's going.

I love the curved platforms.

Have to admit that I didn't at first - couldn't work out the best way to cut them accurately.
Then I had the brainstormwave of only making the edges and infilling them. So that's what I did, I cut strips of plywood only 5 or 6mm wide, glued one end down at the distance I wanted from the outer rail, then worked my way along bending them around as I went, measuring at each point and glueing, then on to the next, etc., etc. Finally I had both faces in place and could just fill in between.
I don't think I'd have managed as neat curves otherwise.

I agree with Joe regarding the curved platforms.  Your photographs clearly show the tight curve through the excursion platform.  I understand that this caused occasional difficulties for the Big Coniston.  Hopefully, all will be well on your smaller one.

The books I have describe the excursion platform as "unpopular with the operators" but not whether or not it did cause serious problems. It was probably noisy due to wheel squeal, possibly further exacerbated by the inclusion of a check rail around the tightest parts - which I haven't yet decided whether or not to include.

The only "issue" in the model is that the platform has to be quite well spaced away from the track but that isn't a big issue since the excessive gap will be hidden by any stock in or passing the platform.

It hasn't caused any running problems with any of my stock - but it's nowhere near as tight as the curves at each end of my model and the only problem those have given me is that the north end curve, being the tightest, invariably causes my old Peco Jubilee to uncouple from my new Farish Stanier coaches - not that I would be sending either around that end in normal operation since that's only supposed to go the the copper/slate wharf for the mines and a siding for the camping coaches.

I think a Union Mills 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0 would be just the thing on Coniston.  I know that they are particularly associated with the CK&PR, but they are, to me, redolent of steam in Lakeland.

Hmm, sounds local enough to be tempting  :)
After all I am running a Fowler 4F with no knowledge of whether any did go to Coniston and a Fairburn Tank which wasn't introduced until after WWII, even though my loco shed will be in its pre-war form with the nice pitched roof - instead of the horrible-looking flat one that was put on following a fire during the war.

At least I don't have to worry about considering any diseasels. AFAIK the only ones that ever went there were some AEC railcars that were tried but couldn't cope with the gradients and some Metrovic Co-Bos - which ran the demolition trains, and I have no intention of modelling it being demolished  :no:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »
chris

think rule 1 may have to be put in place. as far as i can see re the 4F....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_Railway

The line was closed for passenger trains on 6 October 1958. On 27 August 1961 an enthusiast's train ran on the line pulled by Fowler 4F 44347. Freight services ended on 30 April 1962 the link gives some cluesastolocos you may find on the line. hope this may provide a clue  otherwise research may   be   needed.chris

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything