!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12368 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Looks fantastic Chris, on the subjects of houses, if we take the 2nd from last picture,

The house above the cattle wagon looks too new
The house to the right of that I'd just tile over the roof windows, velux windows didn't appear till the 70s and previous to that would be a Georgian wired pane of glass under the slates, normally to light up the long dark landings on terraced houses.
The block of 3 to the right of that the left one looks spot on with the little dormer and wooden bar windows, the other 2 look too new with bigger dormers and pvc windows.

Other than that it looks absolutely fantastic  :claphappy:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:15:14 AM by exmouthcraig »

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
the scenics give extra depth and fit round the station. im just standing back picturing myself from where you took those shots !!!!!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
That works beautifully and gives a real feeling of depth to the layout.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

Looks fantastic Chris, on the subjects of houses, if we take the 2nd from last picture,
The house above the cattle wagon looks too new
The house to the right of that I'd just tile over the roof windows, velux windows didn't appear till the 70s and previous to that would be a Georgian wired pane of glass under the slates, normally to light up the long dark landings on terraced houses.
The block of 3 to the right of that the left one looks spot on with the little dormer and wooden bar windows, the other 2 look too new with bigger dormers and pvc windows.

Cheers, that's pretty much my own thoughts too. The third from the left (the dark one, actually a block of four) was definitely there as early as 1895 because it appears on an OS map with that revision year. however, it didn't have the dormer windows on the three leftmost as late as 1905-08 - I have a photo dating from then which shows it without.

Tobe honest, I'm tempted to zap all except the pre-1895 one, especially the two to the left. Less sure about the rightmost one though. It "could" be  from the 1920s but updated, it certainly has more of a Lakeland style.

I've no concerns about the rows of cottages at the southern end - they also appear on the 1895 map
I'll keep looking for any photos which might clarify things - in between working on Torver and Woodland, of course.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the roof lights.  Such windows were about much earlier, although they may not have been Velux.  For example see M Hulot's Holiday.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: September 29, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the roof lights.  Such windows were about much earlier, although they may not have been Velux.  For example see M Hulot's Holiday.

Indeed, he pokes himself out of a cast iron Victorian skylight, we have refurbed a good few over the years BUT from a roof line photo would look remarkably different to the ones on the house in the photo.

Roofs are a very good indicator of dates, the best "mistakes" are that period dramas rub out the road markings with granite chippings and remove bus shelters and road signs but tv aerials and roof windows cant be easily hidden and for certain  people (mention no names  :-[) I look straight to the roof lines to find the mistakes.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #426 on: September 29, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
Getting there, I've now located a photo from 1950 - the pre-1895 block of four houses didn't have the dormer windows then, and neither of the two houses to the left of it were there. Just the one to the right to track down now before I fire up photoshop again.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #427 on: September 29, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »
certainly adding weight to the research this debate

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: September 29, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
I think it works very well.  Extremely impressive.

Seconded!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #429 on: September 29, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
I think it works very well.  Extremely impressive.
:hellosign:
  Got to agree, just looks so right
       regards Derek.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
A looks pretty impressive so far - it is just like being there on the hill watching the trains go by!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here