!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 20839 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
Excellent photographs.
Excellent modelling.
Excellent little story.
Excellent.  :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
or in another two photos, the railway line gently curves away
in between the trees- absolutely feels like we are rolling back the years and standing in coniston. atmospheric, realistic !!!

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

Thank you. Superb modelling.those trees are an attractive splash of colour.are they ready to plant as so to speak ?

They were indeed, all off the shelf - or, to be more specific, off the Bay of E and the shop of the big South American River.

They are various packs of the ones on those sites that were of a suitable size and that I felt looked least naff looking at the photos provided. Some of them do look a bit naff when seen on their own or as a group of 20+ identical ones, but those have gone together very well for mixed woodland whilst I reserved some of the better looking ones for individual trees in the fields.

I'm happy with the way they've turned out - had I tried to make my own in the quantity required I'd still be at it this time next year I suspect.

Some excellent modelling there. I particularly like how the roads 'disappear' into the trees in picture 3.  :thumbsup:
or in another two photos, the railway line gently curves away in between the trees

Thanks, that was the goal all along. I wanted to disguise the join between scenery and backdrop so, if possible, it wouldn't show.

All along the southern 2/3 of the site there is a stone wall along the top of the cliffs so that end was sorted, just put the wall in and have the backdrop immediately behind that. At the extreme southern end the line to Torver runs under a bridge so all I needed to do was add the backdrop behind the bridge and  some scenery behind for as far as it could be seen under the bridge.

For the rest I could hide the join adequately behind bushes but not where the roads and railway run directly towards the backdrop, hence a judicious selection and placing of trees. I think it's done the trick rather nicely - and is true to life since those roads (and where the railway was) do indeed run under trees.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:30:25 PM by chrism »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »
Are those pictures of the model or the real thing?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »

You are too kind  ;)

How about a mono version of the first one;

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Certainly hides joins. And i wondered where the line to torver went chris

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2019, 05:00:02 PM »
Excellent photographs.
Excellent modelling.
Excellent little story.
Excellent.  :D

Seconded!

And interesting that a similar thing is happening a few miles to the east, on another ex-Furness Railway branch line, where '2MT' 2-6-0 No. 46441 has joined 'Fairburns' Nos. 42073 and 42085.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
And interesting that a similar thing is happening a few miles to the east, on another ex-Furness Railway branch line, where '2MT' 2-6-0 No. 46441 has joined 'Fairburns' Nos. 42073 and 42085.

I knew there was method in my madness  ;)

Actually, I am after increasing the stable a bit more - when/if I can find a mickey mouse tank in LMS livery, those definitely did run on the Coniston branch although maybe not in LMS days.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
did a certain widnes based retailer stock them ?

here is shot for chrism :

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5203475]https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5203475

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2018/09/lancashire-sub-sheds.html confirms a thought i had
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:59:10 PM by crewearpley40, Reason: second thought ....... »

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #339 on: June 11, 2019, 07:36:17 PM »
did a certain widnes based retailer stock them ?

None listed. I'm not sure if it's in the current Dapol line, I'll have to check.

here is shot for chrism :
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5203475]https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5203475

Hehe, that was one of my reference pics for when I was making that end of the station building  ;)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:31 PM »

Yup, I echo this comment, it looks as the real location does in photographs, you've captured all the charm and uniqueness of the real location and put it into a model, and done so well.

If you're looking to exhibit it I would love to recommend it to the exhibition manager at one of the clubs I frequent.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2019, 08:19:28 AM »

Yup, I echo this comment, it looks as the real location does in photographs, you've captured all the charm and uniqueness of the real location and put it into a model, and done so well.

Thanks mate. That was the goal when I set out to build it and I think I've got it pretty close, taking practical considerations into account. It's really great that other people are able to compare it favourably  to old photos of  the original.
Some time I'll try to recreate some of those photos (trains in the same place, etc.) so that we can do a real comparison.

If you're looking to exhibit it I would love to recommend it to the exhibition manager at one of the clubs I frequent.

Thanks, but I'm a long way off being ready for that yet. Whilst "front of house" is close to being finished, well as "finished" as a layout ever really is, I have quite a bit to do in terms of operation and reliability.
Apart from all the little details that will be needed to bring it to life (people, and "stuff" on the platforms, loads in the goods yard, junk lying around, etc.) the current list of scenery tasks includes;
Making the garden at the north end of platform 1 - partly because it's needed and partly to hide the gap under the station building at that end.
Finishing the ash pit, which is still just a chain drilled slot under the track.
Adding fencing to the turntable deck.
Designing and making a replacement Coal Office - the Scalescenes one will do for now but really isn't in keeping with the rest.
The slate wharf needs a crane, which appear to be of a sheer legs type, and the goods yard crane really needs making - the one I have is a kit but is nothing like the real one was. There are kits more like the real one but unfortunately those are all Orribly Overscale  ;)

On top of those I have the operational ones to do;
Getting the points working more reliably, in particular those which are fired in pairs some of which aren't always reliable - I'm experimenting at present with an extra capacitor on the CDU which looks promising.
I need to sort out remote uncoupling. I have electromagnets installed and wired in but haven't adapted any of the stock yet.
I'd really like to get the signals working instead of being static - I have a couple of ideas but have yet to start experimenting. If I succeed I'll need to add connectors for their wiring to the control panel - I don't have enough spare pins on the current ones.
I need to finish the circuit board for the relays that will drive point indicator LEDs on the control panel.
Once that lot's done I'll need to remake the mimic board control panel.

Then I'll need to sort out the means of actually operating the layout from the back. I have duplicate connectors in place for the control panel but visibility will be a problem - seeing over the backdrop for a start and, even without that, the coal yard siding at least will still be invisible because it's tucked under the cliffs. My thought is to have a signboard above the layout, possibly with lights, and fit a lightweight mirror (or mirrors) to that, angled so that an operator behind the layout can see down onto the tracks.

If I do consider exhibiting it, I'll probably kick off with my own club's exhibition - if we do one next year as is being mooted.

Oh, and I'm also toying with doing Torver (and, possibly, Woodland and Broughton-in-Furness too) so I need to work out how to tack them onto the end of Coniston so they can be run as a complete set or just individually  :hmmm:  I'd never envisaged getting so far, nor so quickly, with Coniston so I never considered doing the set when I started, which would, of course, have  been the best time to plan interconnections.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:23:47 AM by chrism »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »
Maybe individual modular board for torver and each section of the line. Good luck sourcing the 2mt chris

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Maybe individual modular board for torver and each section of the line. Good luck sourcing the 2mt chris

Yeah, my current thought is to do the others without fiddle yards (making them smaller) but to have each able to connect to a "common" fiddle yard board. That would allow me to operate each individually by setting them up connected to the yard, or to do a set with the yard board only connected to the end one.
e.g. Torver with fiddle yard -> Coniston, or
Woodland with fiddle yard -> Torver without yard -> Coniston, or
Broughton-in-Furness with fiddle yard -> Woodland without yard -> Torver without yard -> Coniston.

Plenty to think about - but not too soon, there's still lots to do on Coniston first  :no:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: June 13, 2019, 07:49:36 AM »
Spurred on by the rapid growth spurt seen outside the station, the porters got cracking yesterday and turned the plain gravelled area at the north end if platform 1 into a little garden;

The "foliage" on most of the beds is small bits of clump foliage with dabs of various colour paints to represent the flowers whilst the "Coniston" bed is flock with dabs of paint. Where visible, the "earth" is ballast stuck down and painted brown before the foliage was added.
The white edging "stones" for the beds were made by gluing two sheets of my usual 160gsm card together then ripping them along the edge of a tenon saw to give the slightly matching yet rough uneven uneven edge that you get when making borders from individual stones.

All that remains is to find and fix in place something suitable to hide the gap where the "gravel" surface doesn't quite meet where the wall curves down at the start of the platform slope.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:51:49 AM by chrism »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal