!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12889 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
By the way, I took the main station building down to the clubhouse last night and reunited it with the platforms.

The general tone of the reaction was along the lines of "Hey, we're going to need such and such buildings for this and that layout, guess who's got the contract?"   :claphappy:

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
You were commissioned?

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
You were commissioned?

Or lumbered  :laugh3:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: May 29, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
You were commissioned?

Yep! Sounds exactly like an NCO’s lot. :D

Most impressive buildings Chris. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing the Station in its rightful place on your layout.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
You were commissioned?
Yep! Sounds exactly like an NCO’s lot. :D

I don't mind though. Club layouts are supposed to be collaborative efforts and if that's where I can best help then I will.

The only drawback is that the one for which they will want most buildings is the Orribly Oversize one  :hmmm:

Most impressive buildings Chris. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing the Station in its rightful place on your layout.

Once I get the layout back home I'll take more pics - the lighting in the room at the club is even worse than that in my spare room.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »
everybody has a skill and a function. looks as though your skills could play a part. your buildings and scenics have certainly inspired me.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2019, 05:53:18 AM »
Off to get all the Club's stuff moved and set up for the open day shortly - but I also have a couple more surprises for them.

I took the signal box down the other evening and put it in place, and now I also have the ground frame cabin for the north end of the station and the half-finished loco shed.

The loco shed is only half-finished because it has a lean-to mess room which shares its end wall with the top of the overall site retaining wall so I need to have both the layout and the loco shed at home so I can check (and double-check) the measurements. For now the eastern side of the roof is temporarily fixed with sellotape because the mess room roof is an extension down from the loco shed roof so the overall roof that side will need remaking to suit.

I'll post pics of the latest additions when I've got it all back home and set up again.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2019, 06:02:44 AM »
Good luck with the open day. Hope that the latest additions are well received. Hope you do nt get lumbered with anything.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2019, 06:23:07 AM »
Good luck with the open day. Hope that the latest additions are well received.

Cheers mate.

Hope you do nt get lumbered with anything.

I probably will be - but that's the point of club layouts isn't it, a collaborative effort  :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »
Very true that point. With the people i model with i never go near electrics and tend to make the scenics buildings and advise on typical stock workings

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2019, 06:46:29 AM »
Very true that point. With the people i model with i never go near electrics and tend to make the scenics buildings and advise on typical stock workings

I'm happy to work on anything within my abilities or that I can learn - provided it will use steam motive power  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »
have fun today !

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »
have fun today !

Twas a good day in the end.

Apart from Coniston, we had our N-gauge Millom in the early '60s layout, two small N-gauge demo layouts that had been built to show what can be done in a small space, a 16' OO gauge end to end in the very early stages of construction, an 11'x8' roundy roundy that some of the guys are building with a view to having it for kids to play on using either our stock or anything they've brought with them and a small OO gauge "puzzle" layout with two sidings and numbered wagons that users have to shunt into a given order, which the kids enjoyed.

In addition, since we are Millom Scale and Railway Modellers (i.e not just railways),  we had a couple of models that one of our member's grandfather had built, a top-notch working water powered model of the Laxey Wheel on the Isle of Man and a rather impressive 10'x3' street scene with overhead cable powered trams running on two loops of O-gauge track, and one of our current member's radio controlled models, some form of military vehicle and a rather nice Clyde Puffer, unfortunately not the Vital Spark.

I didn't hear much in the way of comments about the other layouts, simply because I wasn't with those most of the time, but got lots of nice comments and interest about Coniston, some from people who'd never known that there had been a station there and even one or two who vaguely remembered it.

We estimated that we had in the region of 80 visitors throughout the day which, from only 20 A4 posters in various shops in the area and a couple of posts on the local facebook page by way of publicity, is very encouraging.
Whether we do get any new members remains to be seen, several did indicate interest, but it does give us some idea of the local interest should we decide to try putting on a proper exhibition in the next year or two.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
glad it went wel  l   chris

did that millom layout incorporate the Millom and Askham Haematite and Iron Co Ltd.? railway

interesting as i have seen info on this

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »
glad it went wel  l   chris

:thumbsup:

did that millom layout incorporate the Millom and Askham Haematite and Iron Co Ltd.? railway
interesting as i have seen info on this

It includes the yard at Millom where the haematite ore and pig iron trains were assembled prior to departure and where coal and coke deliveries were sorted upon arrival from West Cumbria and further afield but only includes the beginning of the spurs themselves down to Millom Ironworks and the Hodbarrow Mine.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything