!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 22783 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
Thanks guys.

You must be well chuffed Chris.

I certainly am, it's turned out how I'd hoped. I'm also extremely grateful for all the kind comments about the building, they are much appreciated and very encouraging.

However, just you watch - flushed with success and praise about the most difficult building required for Coniston, what's the betting that I'll make a right hash of the much simpler signal box?
;)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
Look forward to seeing the signal box develop

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
Look forward to seeing the signal box develop

You and me both  ;D

Actually, I am working on it now - starting with the stone base and plinth.
Then I think I'll do the weigh house which, whilst attached, is offset slightly so is not an extension of any of the signal box walls - ideally I'll need that in place before I do the signal box cabin, because the weigh house roof butts up against that.
Once I have the weigh house roof in place, I can look at doing the stone chimney and timber cabin.

Somewhere around that stage I also need to decide how much internal detail I want to include. Since it'll be visible from both ends and from  part of the back (which is the side facing the viewer) it'd be nice to at least have some representation of the lever frame. If I can do that I'll build it on the plinth layer then lower the timber cabin layer over it.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:doh: must get on with some modelling myself

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »
Here's the first stages done of the signal box and weigh house, complete with the mk1 thought for a way to do the lever frame;

In a way I'm glad I did do the main station building first - at least that stayed where it was put unlike this little thing for which I definitely could have done with three hands to hold it and the tools.

Don't be concerned that the floor doesn't appear to be fixed down very well - it's a dummy one while I ascertain how the lever frame looks and it's just stuck on top of the real floor with blutac.

The bit of yellow card in a couple of the shots is to simulate the front of the cabin interior, again to see how the lever frame looks.

This thought for the lever frame is drawn in Photoshop and printed out onto OHP film, then cut out and the bottom edge folded to about the right angle before being glued to the floor. Finally two bits of black card were stuck to the floor either side to simulate the frame chassis itself. The levers are all the correct colours for their positions in the frame and their functions - yellow for a distance signal, red for a home or starter signal, black for points, blue for facing point locks and green for the ground frame lock and callup gong.

The mk2 thought involves painting bits of wire and attempting to glue them all in place at the right spacing, straight and at a consistent angle, good game, good game.

I'm of the view that, considering that the levers will only be seen through diddy little windows (7mm high  by 17mm wide max) this rendition of them will suffice both from the aesthetic and the practical point of view, however I would appreciate any other thoughts.

If I do stick to this method, I might consider showing some levers "pulled" but how well they'd show up I'm not sure, especially considering that they'd be leaning back into the middle of the cabin and, therefore, would be seen from a more acute angle. They'd probably just be more apparent as a gap in the row of "unpulled" levers. Again, any thoughts?

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
Looking good. Is it to be a working signal box? I would just aim simple. Inside my signalbox the levers are static, its just planning ground frames etc and what moves or doesnt. I would go with how you think

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »
To be honest, I would stick with what you have already done. Personally, I wouldn't bother with pulled levers, but it just depends on how realistic you want it to look (rivets and all?).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
My metcalfe signal box and my ratio one both have pulled levers in, using the ratio kit, but you can hardly see them as I've not fitted lighting

best thing to do is build the box and place it on the layout as I think you plan on doing, and then decide from there.

Can't quite see in the photos do you wrap the brick paper around in the window openings or just cut them square?
You implied in an earlier post that scratch building buildings was new to you - while you've done a brilliant job so far it may be worth downloading one of the free scalescenes kits to see how he hides edges and other methods that may assist in future buildings.

The weighbridge / coal office is free and might actually suit needs elsewhere on the layout https://scalescenes.com/product/r024-weighbridge-or-coal-office/

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »
Thanks guys. I've no intention of making anything move inside the box, just to make it not look empty.
For the same reason, the tablet exchange instrument will just be a brown block in the corner.

I'm after the overall impression for the whole layout, rather than super-fine detail that probably won't be seen anyway from a normal viewing distance.

Can't quite see in the photos do you wrap the brick paper around in the window openings or just cut them square?

I don't use brick paper at all. I design the complete walls in Photoshop, print them out onto 160gsm card and back that with thicker card as a stiffener. For windows/doors where I think it matters I do print out two or three copies and layer them, cutting the complete apertures out of the top sheet and the insides of the frames out of the middle sheet.
As can be seen, I don't always bother with glazing, unless there's something to be seen through it. On the train shed I did glaze all the lighting windows because trains can be seen through them but I haven't on the lower part of the signal box because I don't intend to put stuff in the weigh house (which by the late 1930s was probably only used for storage, the weighbridge having long been removed) and I'm certainly not going to try and do the locking room mechanism.

As far as I can tell from the few photos available, the door/window reveals appear to have been painted so I'm happy to just cut them out and leave the exposed white edges of the printed card.
Where I don't want exposed edges, I touch them up with either a pencil or a dab of grey paint.

You implied in an earlier post that scratch building buildings was new to you - while you've done a brilliant job so far it may be worth downloading one of the free scalescenes kits to see how he hides edges and other methods that may assist in future buildings.
The weighbridge / coal office is free and might actually suit needs elsewhere on the layout https://scalescenes.com/product/r024-weighbridge-or-coal-office/

Cheers, I'll do that - an extra incentive being that that coal office looks more like the one that used to be at Coniston than the Ratio one does.

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
If you want  some pulled levers how about a  combination of both mk1 and mk2 . Print another set of levers with gaps for the pulled levers and bits of wire to fill the gaps in the pulled position
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:22:21 PM by themadhippy »
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
OR i use a dummy frame with pins painted black, white, yellow
as static ,maybe a sketch of the railway plan, a signalman posed
certainly superb idea

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
OR i use a dummy frame with pins painted black, white, yellow
as static ,maybe a sketch of the railway plan, a signalman posed
certainly superb idea

I'll certainly be including the signalling plan, stuck on the wall in front of the lever frame - there was an unglazed panel in the front of the box for that purpose.
I've got the one that was in the book I have, which I've already scanned and will reduce significantly to get it the right size.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
Either plan would work . I would personally use plan a. The one you wrote before mention of mark two plan chris.  superb research and loving it

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2019, 07:36:28 AM »
Of course, you could always use a double version of your Mk1 solution.  That is to say, print out the unpulled levers on one piece transparancy and print the pulled levers on another, leaving gaps in the first for the pulled lever.  If you locate the two sets of levers at the correct angles, you would have a good representation of all the levers in the correct place, no matter from what angle they were viewed.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
After giving it more thought, I've decided to leave all the levers unpulled because I really don't think that any pulled levers would show up anyway.

The signal box is near the front of the layout and faces across the station throat, away from the viewer, so the only windows through which things can be seen are the end ones and a single one at one end of the back wall, 1/5 of the length of it. Since pulled levers would be pointing back towards the viewer I don't think they'd really be apparent enough to justify doing it.

Also, if I were to depict some pulled, they'd only be correct for one particular train movement so most of the time they'd be incorrect since there are ten different pathways through the station from one end to the other plus two access to the loco shed and yard and another to the goods yard, all of which I intend to use. If I felt capable of making them move in response to point and signal movements then it would be worth it as a challenge if nothing else but I think that's really a detail too far at this stage of my n-gauge modelling.

Thanks for all your thoughts, though.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal