!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 12285 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »
Hopefully your loco should be delivered from the works and the best stock in the carriage shed and wagon works awaits.

Yep, the 3F arrived and the Cauliflower has been teaching it the road.

I hadn't realised quite how different the two were - I never managed to find a pic of both the real ones in the same place at the same time. It was rather interesting to line them up with my other 0-6-0 tender loco, the Farish 4F, in particular seeing how the boiler diameter grew to give the higher power rating.

Mostly today, however, I've been on civil engineering. The proper bridge and retaining walls are now in place, along with sufficient scenic bits behind the bridge (and backscene) so that one cannot see any bare boards, etc when looking through the bridge.
I've still got half of the roadside walls, the retaining wall between the station site and the fields below and the wall separating the footpath below the retaining wall from the fields to do, oh and some foliage, before I'm ready to take the next photos.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
chris

hi i found a few photos albeit at keswick and other places ....

just in case your interested

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/webb-lnwr-0-6-0-cauliflower.1001156/

http://www.railuk.info/history/gethistory.php?id=351

one may have to look at cam camwell collection :

https://www.wolvertonrail.com/acatalog/Kingfisher-Cam-Camwell-Collection.html

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
Glad the '3F' has arrived.  Isn't Union Mills' service is excellent++. 

I look forward to more photographs in due course...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:20 PM »
Glad the '3F' has arrived.  Isn't Union Mills' service is excellent++. 

Indeed - mind you the Irish sea Catapult helps, I'v had equally speedy deliveries from Trackshack too.

I look forward to more photographs in due course...

Another day or two I reckon - I'd like to get the southern end at least 90% finished now I'm on a roll with it.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2019, 10:12:49 PM »
thank you

certainly looking good so far the scenic side of the line

its an interisting, historical project. from  one chris to another

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2019, 06:28:27 AM »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
Thought you may like some history. Those were the days

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
Here are some pics of both the 3F and the Cauliflower, as well as the latest state of progress on Coniston;

Johnson/Deeley 3F 3777 is arriving with the latest delivery of coal from Trumpton Colliery whilst Webb 18" Goods "Cauliflower" 8589 is in the loco headshunt awaiting its turn over the ashpit which is currently occupied by Fowler 3F "Jinty" 7309. When it's finished on the ashpit, the Jinty will leave the loco yard via the turntable because the headshunt, unlike that on the original Coniston, won't accommodate both locos.

The eagle-eyed may observe that I've been rather busy on civil engineering of late - bridge bulding, road laying and wall building. I've also been doing a bit of flocking (ooer missus) and foliage planting.

This is a view of the entrance to Coniston station site at the southern end. Level with the 3F is where the retaining wall above the track level ends and the one below starts. Here is where I've adopted modeller's license since the field of sheep and horses "should" be the first of a row of houses but I've decided not to bother with non-railway buildings (at least to start with) so all those below the station site are being replaced with fields. Similarly, the footpath between the retaining wall and an outer wall isn't really so enclosed until further along but I needed something to prevent Mr Satterthwaite's sheep from wandering.
They aren't native sheep so don't know where they can and can't go - although when I've applied some grey and chestnut brown to their bodies they will become Herdwicks, grey being the older ones and brown the yearlings.

Where the step between the two walls is will be the start of a fence running the full length of the site along the top of the retaining wall, I've put the step in at the join of the two retaining walls to give a convenient anchoring point for the end of the fence.

Next we have a closer look at the overbridge and retaining walls for the southern end cutting. For the bridge and all the walls I've photographed the actual things and edited the images to give me correctly scaled scenic paper. This I've stuck to card to give the thickness and topped the walls with a thin strip of stones which I found most appropriate from the various photos I took. I may revisit them to apply the typical Lakeland wall tops - namely pieces of slate fixed vertically crosswise on top - when I've worked out the best (and simplest, coz there'll be a lot of them) way of doing it.

The "tarmac" on the road and also the footpath is 800 grit wet and dry abrasive paper which seems to do the job quite well.

I couldn't be bothered trying to photoshop out all the foliage growing on the real bridge, so I've added flock over the larger bits to give it depth.

The white square behind the red "Pugh" wagon is where the inner home signals will be located - on that square will be a very tall 3-doll home, indicating arrival to platform 1, 2 or 3. On the other side of the running line, just behind the Cauliflower and the buffers, will be another tall post carrying a home signal facing south indicating entry to the goods yard and another facing north indicating that it is clear for a train to enter the single line section to Torver and beyond. Both signal posts were tall so that the signals could be seen from the other side of the bridge. The Langley lower quadrant kits give me the basics but need to be modified with lengths of brass rod to give the added height and also turn their triple junction signal into the 3-doll one with all the arms at the same level that I need. I may even try to get the things working, hopefully.

Finally, here is a general view of this end of the layout, showing the changes to the cliff face above the goods yard, which is no longer a uniform grey and now has the wall and some foliage planted on top.
To the left, the turntable is no longer white - at last. I lined the pit with a length of the same scenic paper I made to do the various walls but was a bit unsure as to how best to do the coping stones around the perimiter. Then I realised how generous the Furness Railway were to use a round arch for the overbridge, so I mirrored the bridge image and carefully resized it so that my turntable surround is actually the arch course of stones from the bridge - cheating, I know, but it serves the purpose.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the progress I've managed recently - just got about three times more of it to do to bring the rest of the layout up to the same state.

The only disappointment is the brown "stuff" to the left of the tracks. Natural Scenics describe it as "Slate Grey Scatter - Fine", but I've never seen any slate that colour. I'll either cover it with something more the
right colour or give it a wash or two of very weak blue and grey watercolour to get it closer to what it should be.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:23:57 PM by chrism »

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
You are certainly catching the feel of the place.  The issue of breed of sheep is interesting.  When I was building Portpatrick Town (now dismantled) , in its early stages c 2003, our holiday conveniently took in that corner of Scotland.  My wife observed that the cows were not all black and white Friesians.  Some were brown and white , so a plain buff colour.   I confirmed this by studying some DVDs which incorporated the routes to Stranraer.  So I repainted many of those I had bought to reflect this.  One of those small details it is worth getting right.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
Looking very good @chrism   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »
Absolutely excellent!

And Poppingham's Flossie and Herdy are looking forward to seeing lots of their relations on Coniston in due course.

Thank you for a very interesting post.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »
Great stuff.
This is developing very nicely indeed, thanks for keeping us up to date.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
thank you for a superb series of photos and commentary. gives us all a glimpse of life in cumbria. the locos look beautiful, scenery and the local stonework, the capturing of the tunnel, retaining walls, bends in the track. am i living in the local area ? not in reality but captures my imagination

superb rendetion of the farm lands and local walls, just feeling like a local

chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
 :greatwork:

Looking excellent

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
I agree totally with all the above comments. This is lovely work, which, for someone who lives so far away, evokes pleasant memories of his favourite part of England.

Please don't take this as criticism - it's not - and it's not your fault anyway, but it's a shame Peco don't use rail instead of plastic for the guard rails on their points. Always been a letdown, I feel.

I think your protypically light coloured ballast may be just highlighting them in the photos. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Brilliant work.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything