!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 49978 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #615 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
Now relaxing with a cup of tea after Longframlington's second public appearance, the two-day Cleveland MRC show in Redcar. I was a bit worried about what a 250 mile journey in the back of a Land Rover might do to the layout.  I got to the venue Friday evening with not a lot of time to set up, had the layout unpacked and ready to go in fifteen minutes flat, powered it up and found that everything worked.

And it carried on working all weekend, 100% reliably in warm weather.  The loco roster on Saturday started with J27, J35, J39, 2MT and NBL type 2: the J27 had pickup issues and was soon replaced by the K1.  The others ran perfectly.  Sunday we had B1, Ivatt 4MT, BRCW type 2 and N15: the 2MT was running so well that I gave it a second day.  The 4MT was still not especially happy mechanically, and after lunch was swapped for the "Crab".  Lots of nice comments about the layout, including from a couple of 2mm finescale modellers. This little hand-drawn map was a late addition and attracted far more interest than I expected.

Big thanks to @kirky for getting me invited to the show in the first place and for providing lunch break cover.  It's not the easiest of layouts to operate but he got to grips with it very quickly.  Two days on your feet is pretty tiring - a shunting layout like this needs you to be concentrating on train movements, while trying to answer questions from the public at the same time.  But I was still sorry when the show ended and I had to pack Longframlington away.  Here is the last train of the weekend, the 15.50 (Sundays Only) mixed train to Morpeth, departing Longframlington behind an Ivatt 2MT. 

Richard
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:46:44 PM by belstone »

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: August 04, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
I can only say it was an absolute pleasure to have @belstone and Longframlngton at our show this weekend.

It wont surprise NGF members to learn that every man, woman, child and their dogs thought Longframlington was the absolute bees knees. And indeed it is.

It was a real privilege to operate the layout over the weekend. Ive operated many layouts in my time, but none have ever operated as well as Longframlington. The smoothness of operation, the simplicity of the handset, the compactness, the outstanding atmosphere... I could go on. It is safe to say Richard has built a wonderful layout and if you ever get the chance to see this beauty, you will not be disappointed.

For me the most outstanding feature (bearing in mind I am neither steam fan or a DC man) was the coupling system. I say system, because it is the total system that makes it work well. The coupling alongside the servo operated magnets and the delayed action, make this a system which works really well in this scale on this kind of terminus layout. It is testament to Richard's attention to detail and sheer skill. It is a brilliantly engineered coupling system.

As Richard said, people assumed it was 2mmFS. When I was operating I made sure people knew it was N and that Richard designed and manufactured his own coupling system. Unsurprisingly, people were very impressed.

Thanks Richard for letting us be your first two day show.

I hereby declare Longframligton a classic layout.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Hartlepool MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION
October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: August 04, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
I can only say it was an absolute pleasure to have @belstone and Longframlngton at our show this weekend.

It wont surprise NGF members to learn that every man, woman, child and their dogs thought Longframlington was the absolute bees knees. And indeed it is.

It was a real privilege to operate the layout over the weekend. Ive operated many layouts in my time, but none have ever operated as well as Longframlington. The smoothness of operation, the simplicity of the handset, the compactness, the outstanding atmosphere... I could go on. It is safe to say Richard has built a wonderful layout and if you ever get the chance to see this beauty, you will not be disappointed.

For me the most outstanding feature (bearing in mind I am neither steam fan or a DC man) was the coupling system. I say system, because it is the total system that makes it work well. The coupling alongside the servo operated magnets and the delayed action, make this a system which works really well in this scale on this kind of terminus layout. It is testament to Richard's attention to detail and sheer skill. It is a brilliantly engineered coupling system.

As Richard said, people assumed it was 2mmFS. When I was operating I made sure people knew it was N and that Richard designed and manufactured his own coupling system. Unsurprisingly, people were very impressed.

Thanks Richard for letting us be your first two day show.

I hereby declare Longframligton a classic layout.

Cheers
Kirky

I'm blushing here.  Great show, great people and I'm glad the layout performed as I hoped it would and kept the public entertained. "Keep the trains moving" is what I want to do at shows, and I think @kirky  and I managed to do that. Next stop Bury St Edmunds, late September.  Hopefully I'll have Jezebel (the Ivatt 4MT) running properly by then.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #618 on: August 04, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »
Excellent news, Richard, many congratulations. Thanks, too, for the very and highly realistic interesting photo. I hope that there will be more photos. and further very well-earned success at your next show appearance.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
A day out in lovely Northumberland before the long drive home, and where better to stop for an ice cream? 

Building a model of an imaginary station in a real location can do strange things to your mind.  I could have sworn I saw the remains of a railway embankment at the bottom of this field, just where the final approach to the station would have been...

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
Excellent, Richard. A beautiful view. A very nice day, too.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: August 11, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
Another locomotive going through the works at the moment.  This Farish Standard 4MT looks complete and original, apart from the bent control rod along the side of the firebox.

Hang on, what's that brass worm doing there?

The inner workings revealed:

I picked this 4MT up second-hand, advertised as a "good runner" but nothing of the sort.  Shredded traction tyres,  and pickups so dirty that it barely ran at all.  A good clean and service had it running a little better, but just reminded me how much I dislike the weedy 8 x 16 can motor that Farish fit to so much of their range.  I've found that for reliable slow running you need two things, a big torquey motor and as much weight as possible.  These two objectives are of course directly opposed to each other. 

However, a fair amount of space inside the 4MT tender is taken up with the DCC chip socket and a load of electrical gubbins whose function is not obvious (possibly RF suppression).  Binning these items allowed me to squeeze in a Mashima 1015 can motor with a Poole Farish wormwheel, which happens to have the same pitch as the much smaller worm used by Farish these days.  The underframe and motor mount needed a bit shaving off before the 1015 would sit comfortably, and once I was happy with the gear mesh I Araldited it in place. There is still enough room above the motor for a decent amount of lead weight: the tender is now significantly heavier than it was.

The only problem is the lack of room above the worm gear.  I had to take so much off the inside of the tender body that I ended up cutting through it between the dome and coal bunker.  I will have to attach a small rectangle of thin Plastikard to the tender top to cover the hole, and glue the dome onto it. It's a bodge, but shouldn't look too obvious. It also needs new couplers, and hopefully I will be able to take a bit off that dreadful ugly rear coupler box while I'm at it.

I haven't had a chance to try this one on the layout yet as it is still packed away following its trip Oop North, but a short trial on a straight length of track it seems a lot better than it was.  It will be renumbered as 76049, which spent some time at Gateshead and Blaydon in the mid-fifties and later migrated to Hawick.  More appropriate for my next two planned layouts than the current one, but never mind. Rule One and all that.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »
Really interesting stuff Richard.
I'd quite like to see some photos of the process of re-motoring - a dark art if ever there was one  :uneasy:

What chance?

Kirky

October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: August 11, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
Really interesting stuff Richard.
I'd quite like to see some photos of the process of re-motoring - a dark art if ever there was one  :uneasy:

What chance?

Kirky

Not much to see on this one, it's about as simple as these things get.  Some people might disapprove of glueing the motor in, but Mashimas are pretty durable: if it ever needs to come out I should be able to prise it off with a small screwdriver.  It's just a question of taking a minidrill to it (I use carbide tipped cutters) and grinding away the  ballast weight to clear the worm gear, then taking just enough off the underframe and motor mount to get the gear mesh right (teeth making good contact but with a little bit of play so that the gears don't bind up).

I have one more Mashima 1015 left which might find its way into my second J39 (the only loco that didn't get a run at Redcar, owing to it being a poor runner).  It currently has a weird 6-pole square can which I haven't been impressed by.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: August 11, 2019, 09:18:16 PM »
A quick win on the loco front. 

The J27 was my first attempt at scratchbuilding, nearly three years ago.  It has never run especially well, with a noticeable "limp" which I put down to either the quartering being out, or a not too round wheel.  (It's on a butchered Poole Farish 5700 Pannier chassis, picked up for a tenner after a very hard life.) This evening I thought I would have a look at it, mainly to see how easy it would be to convert it to shaft drive with a can motor in the tender. Pretty much by accident I discovered the cause of its running problems: the top of one of the coupling rod journals was catching on the inside of the splasher.  Easily fixed: I took a file to the offending journal, and also inserted a square of thin Plastikard between body and chassis at the front as the loco looked a touch nose-down.  It could do with tarting up a bit as the paint has worn away in a few places. but I like it.

Now where did I put that rough-running J39?

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #625 on: August 12, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
Excellent work Richard - really great skills.

I looked up the Mashima motors you've been using - 20 plus! Not cheap at all - are they discontinued or something?

Kirky

October 2019

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: August 12, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
Excellent work Richard - really great skills.

I looked up the Mashima motors you've been using - 20 plus! Not cheap at all - are they discontinued or something?

Kirky

Mr Mashima announced in 2016 that he was retiring, so once current stocks have gone, that's it.  There are decent substitutes for some of the range, but the Chinese haven't yet got round to doing a 15 x 10 five-pole with a 1.5mm shaft.  Lots of "N20" motors around but they are all three-pole and 1mm.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #627 on: August 12, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
Ah, hence the stupid price. Thanks Richard.

Kirky

October 2019

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything