!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 12709 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
Evening all,  it's evil out there,  rain wind cold,  not nice,.
In the somewhat better conditions of the MRC much work was done.

However there is not much to show for it. The ballast I put on the platforms last week looked awful,  much too rough so that was scraped off. A coat of PVA,  thin polyfilla,  and paint mix was put on,  which looks better but is the wrong shade at the moment,  so next week that will need a light sanding and a darker shade painting on.

Then roads were sanded,  and some road side ditches dug. Then I borrowed a double decker from the next layout to try for size.  Panic... Roads much to narrow,  so I started widening roads..  T break called,  after that by chance I borrowed a different bus form the next layout... Roads OK????
Got the ruler out.. The Oxford models "N gauge" double decker was a scale 10ft wide almost!!!  The second a single decker ( also Oxford models) was a scale 7ft. Wide... Panic over,
Back to sanding and then painting roads.  This was followed by a second coat of brown on the stack of fencing.

Next week more fencing to install,  the some weathering of the fencing.
The platforms need work and some ballasting of track needs gluing..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Evening all,
Fencing went well, a dab of thick superglue on the bottom of each verticle,  then a square jar on its side to hold it down while setting worked well
Platform sides were painted dark grey as was some stone plasticard forming a cutting support.
A piece of plasticard was cut and Inset over a road,  onto this a cattle grid and a gate alongside was glued.  Some coating was done with polyfilla PVA mix, to  imitate the herding  track through the gate.  Next week,  that will be grassed / stoned and the road / plasticard either side of the  the cattle grid tarmac painted..
I should add this plasticard is hiding a board joint through the road and is removable.
A little grass work was carried out on board 4 hillside and on board three alongside the fencing.

Next week I think we are due some pictures the fencing makes a big difference to the look of the layout...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
Apologies I forgot to take this gadget with me for more pictures.
Another 18 inches of 3bar fencing installed,  and just over a foot of picket fencing.  .all painted brown with a dry brushed black over all to try and make it look creosoted as per Highland railways..
Picket fencing ( laser cut card )added to the platform areas.
Another 20, 8 inch lengths of 3bar  fencing  painted brown..

I worked out I need 100 20mm fence posts cut from 0.6 mm square wire just for this board..

I measured the platform lengths maximum 3ft 2 inches so that's about 6 coach trains. I now know the minimum length for fiddle yard / traverser/ turntable what ever I can fit in...

That's it for this week goodnight..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2019, 10:57:21 PM »
Evening all,  guess who forgot to take the gadget to take pictures  again...

Today's work.
Servo tester / servo wired up and demonstrated  looks good for implementation.
Track. Laying and Ballasting on board 3 completed,  probably just a bit of titivation required.
Cattle grid insert grassed where needed,  and some paint applied.

Still to do on board 3, 200 fence posts need cutting and installing.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Soggy evening all,
Yes I remembered the gadget today,  let's see if I can conjure up a piccy or two.
Boards 3 and 4 you should be able to see some fencing.

Board 4,

Board 3s piccy is missing in action,  so I'll try again next week when even more fencing will have been installed.

Over 120 fence posts cut to length and painted brown before I got bored..

Roads darkened with a almost black wash.  It's darker than most dry roads but I need a distinction between them and the rocks..

Some modifications to the cattle grid having inspected pictures of them real thing on Tiree.

Three bar fencing, resin printed , installed near the station,  where it goes up steep slopes,  there are gaps which will need making up with plasticard strip.

I inserted half a dozen fence posts at 10 mm intervals,  the soft peaty ground in the highlands means closer placing of the posts than normal.

I've not put wire between the posts,  at a scale couple of hundred yards you wouldn't see the wire any way.

Tuesday coming,  club Christmas dinner, 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here