!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 15156 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2019, 01:19:20 AM »
And look what arrived in the post yesterday.....

Three Revolution Sturgeon A wagons just in time to be a Christmas present to myself  :)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
'Britannia' No. 70006 "Robert Burns" does look very fine in ex-works condition, complete with Early BR Crest and nameplates with matching early BR Crimson & Cream BR Standard coaches. A very fine addition. Maybe, you'll consider an identity change to one of the Plymouth (Laira) ones? Perhaps it is on one of the enthusiasts' specials for the Christmas and New Year program of steam specials. Lady Penelope Trevelver would definitely approve of the train's immaculate external appearance!

My early BR Black 'Sturgeon' with sides has been delayed until next month as I am away. (Which is why I've not given the usual allocation history of No. 70006.) They certainly look very fine. If there are any left, I might add another BR Black one but without sidepieces. They are very long vehicles though which is why I only bought one to form part of a mixed PWM train.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #347 on: December 25, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
As one of the books I was given for Christmas is the excellent "The Book of the BR Standards" by Richard Derry, I can, after all, give some details of 'Britannia' No. 70006 "Robert Burns"'s allocation history. An ER loco. from new being allocated to Stratford, Norwich, Stratford, Norwich, March between 1951 and 1963, it moved to the LMR at Kingmoor in December 1963 from where it was withdrawn in May 1967, so it must be working an enthusiasts' special from the NW?

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: December 25, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Thanks Chris. How about a special  additional Christmas Leave service put on for Royal Navy personnel who live in Plymouth but base-ported in Scotland.  Portions from Glasgow and Edinburgh join at Carlisle and bthen run the rest of the way behind 70006.
A similar service in the opposite direction ran for Scottish personnel working in Devonport with homes in the north.

When I was based in Rosyth I used to get back to Torbay on w/e leave by train.
Friday lunch time local service from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh and change train.  Edinburgh Waverley to Plymouth portion was added to the Glasgow-Plymouth at Carstairs then Carlisle/New Street/Temple Meads/ Exeter Saint Davids change at Newton Abbot to Paignton.
So only a slight stretch of the imagination. ;)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: December 25, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »
That's an excellent solution, Pete. A "Britannia" all the way from Carlisle to Plymouth. Fortunately, in 1963, there would still be some WR loco. crew in the West Country trained on them although they had left in 1956-1957.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: December 26, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »
In 1963, the route would have been via Crewe and Hereford then Bristol. The "Britannia" would have had its water tank refilled at station stops, in the usual way, but would have had to come off the train, at least once, to have its tender refilled with coal and the loco. serviced, perhaps whilst the passengers left the train for food and drink to be served by the NAAFI?

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here