!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Running in  (Read 599 times)

Offline silly moo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
Running in
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
I’m running in a new loco and that got me thinking, did they do the same thing with real steam and diesel locos?

(I seem to remember that you needed to do that with motor cars and that my father put a “Please pass - running in” sign on the back of our car)

If they did need running in what was the procedure?

:NGaugersRule:

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Running in
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
On some of the British Transport films, they rebuild the engines and they immediately return to main line duties. With older cars, the engineering tolerances were less exact than nowadays, so running in allowed the bearings etc to “bed” in before they were put under any strain. (Or if the stories are to believe, to make sure the car was outside the warranty period before it broke down)
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
I’m running in a new loco and that got me thinking, did they do the same thing with real steam and diesel locos?

(I seem to remember that you needed to do that with motor cars and that my father put a “Please pass - running in” sign on the back of our car)

If they did need running in what was the procedure?

:NGaugersRule:

Interesting question to which I am sure the knowledgable collective will add to / correct the following...

According to the Brush video available on YouTube showing the construction of the class 31, brand new locos where first tested on a loadbank, before being run on “the tightest curve it should encounter in service”.

I also know that the brand new 58s were run ex-works on the “works test train” (which was at one point some battered Mk1s as per recent Farish models) and Class 56s has the same tratement after heavy overhaul.

Class 60s 60001 and 60002 had “test coach 6” marshalled behind them along with a rake of Redland hoppers for some testing (a train I would love to recreate one day).

Skyline2uk

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
Steam mainline passenger at least were run in, and I think also freight. An account of building a GER Y14 (LNER J15 freight loco) says that after completion, it 'ran the usual trial trip on the Cambridge line'.The running in could lead to some otherwise strange sights; a class 6 to 8 4-6-0 or pacific hauling three or four coaches on perhaps unusual routes and all station 'stoppers'. It also lead to locos being seen well out of allocated area. Some of the tank locos overhauled at Stratford were used on Liverpool St empty stock workings, I think. Stratford and Norwich 'Britannias' also got 'borrowed' by the NW area of the LMR after visiting Crewe works.

Diesels I don't know after overhaul; as Skyline has intimated, new types or classes would be put on static and dynamic load to ensure they came up to design criteria, with test trains often over appreciable gradients. I also don't know if individual locos subsequently built were put to such tests, or whether it was just the first one or two of new classes. I have photos of cl15 D8200 hauling a test train over Shap.

Martyn

Offline paulbeckwith

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »

hi  all    on  the  subject of running in   dapol and g/f  state  prior to fitting a decoder  it should  be a good runner  on / in  dc    so  do  they  pre run  in  some that  are  dcc fitted ( with and without sound )  or are they giving us  bu***hit ……..  why would  they run in some  but  NOT all ?????????

paul

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Further info on new locos;

The RCTS history of the LNER locos implies that the first A4 was run in on Cambridge line services from King's Cross, before doing 112 mph two weeks later...…..

It states that the first Thompson A2/3 Pacific, after completion, made a trial trip from Doncaster to Grantham light engine, during which it had problems...It would seem reasonable that all new Doncaster built passenger locos made a similar trial trip, hopefully without such problems, though I don't have any documentation for that.

I would have assumed that trial trips were made just to make sure that eg bearings and journals fitted correctly, and were not overheating, and other fittings worked prior to the loco being released to traffic.

I have also read somewhere that a B12 was given extended shed attention at Ipswich, and when steam was applied, it rocked backwards and forwards; one set of valve gear had been set correctly, the other the wrong way round! Thus one cylinder was driving the loco forwards, the other backwards.

Martyn

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:30:43 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »

hi  all    on  the  subject of running in   dapol and g/f  state  prior to fitting a decoder  it should  be a good runner  on / in  dc    so  do  they  pre run  in  some that  are  dcc fitted ( with and without sound )  or are they giving us  bu***hit ……..  why would  they run in some  but  NOT all ?????????

paul

Wrong part of the forum Paul, this is for real railways, you may be better asking your question in the relevant part of the forum, maybe here? http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=1.0
Be careful whose toes you step on, they might be attached to the foot that kicks your backside in the future!

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »
Diesel locos;

'Brush diesel locomotives 1940-78' by G Toms states that;

D5500 (first of class) was delivered in undercoat and undertook a trials to Chinley (from Loughborough or from Derby?-not stated-book infers more than one trial trip).

Type 2 locos (later cl 30 then 31 when re-engined) normally left the Loughborough factory on Thursdays, when they proceed to Doncaster. There they would be checked over and undertake road testing; a passenger train to and from Peterborough, and a 750t freight to and from Spalding. After acceptance, the locos would be released to traffic (and Brush paid about a week later).

For the type 4s, (cl 47), D1500 undertook trials based on Finsbury Park, and then on the Western Region, based at Swindon, between Swindon and Plymouth, with special trials over Dainton; and on the Lickey incline. Normal pre-acceptance trials were on the Midland main line based on Loughborough, with Derby Works undertaking the actual acceptance with a train from Derby-Cheadle Heath-Derby-Spondon-Syston-Derby. It doesn't say where the Crewe-built 47s were accepted.

So it would seem that first of class was given extended testing to ensure design compliance, and then subsequent locos were given a standard acceptance trial prior to entring traffic.

Martyn

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:00:17 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »
Steam locomotives were given a trial “bedding in” run both when brand new and after undergoing an overhaul.
Most steam locomotive works had set routes and duties on which new or overhauled locos were given a good run but not an arduous one.
For example, Swindon works would frequently use Swindon to Bristol local trains for such duties. This might result in a King or Castle at the head of a four coach stopping train.
There are plenty of photographs of such trains at, for example, Bath Spa station.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
On the western region as late as the mid 60's ( I know as I saw them) that Swindon works would run locos down the line (it is an inclined track) to Dauntsey station (just before Chippenham) set back onto the old (original) Malmesbury branch siding , and then run back up to Swindon.

Memories......
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »

That could be a tad tricky for a train  :D

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
In the late 1980s and early 1990s I saw many such trains

There were not many new locos in this period
However, I managed to see almost all the Class 90 locos before they were approved for revenue earning service
The first few locos were tested intensively
The later locos were simply run a few times between Carlisle and Preston

It was similar with the Class 156 DMUs
In 1989 there was a period of about 4 months in Scotland where almost all the units had been delivered so many services were double up on existing services
As a result I managed see all the Haymarket units in use on the Corkerhill express routes

Next were locos released from overhaul / maintenance
Glasgow Works did not have a test train, so existing trains were used
Due to the gradient out of Glasgow Queen Street this route was not used (after some embarrassments at peak time)
Instead Edinburgh to Dundee was used, which at the time was still loco hauled
This was ideal as both freight and passenger locos could be used
When this route passed over to Class 150/2 DMU, the Glasgow - Carlisle route used until that too passed over to Class 156 DMU
Once the loco had been deemed passed for general use it would often be allocated to station pilot duties, whilst awaiting a suitable route back south

Another example was Crewe Works
Locos passed for use would then undertake at least one run between Crewe and Holyhead
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:54:07 PM by MJKERR »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
After overhaul at Eastleigh SR locos were usually run on local passenger or freight for a few days before return to their home shed
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
Interesting and informative thread!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31