!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Weston  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
Re: Weston End
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 10:04:57 PM »
I saw this layout for sale and I must say it really tempted me even without the money or space!

I would do much as you are proposing (get it running and then rework the scenics heavily), but would bring it forward in time to 87 -97. Plenty of NSE red on that station and Swallow HSTs on the main line  :D

Ref the control panels:

RIGHT SIDE

Right control panel is for the goods sidings. The halves of the fiddle yard appear to be separately controlled. I hope that this doesn't mean a dash from end to end!

I could be wrong, but I believe the far right (top of the picture) panel is for the triple loops on the UPPER fiddle yard, the panel on the left hand end being for the 2x double loops on the LOWER fiddle yard?

Skyline2uk

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe the far right (top of the picture) panel is for the triple loops on the UPPER fiddle yard, the panel on the left hand end being for the 2x double loops on the LOWER fiddle yard?

Ah right,  I hadn't thought about controls for that bit! hahahaha

I'll ignore the NSE twaddle  :D

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »

Ah right,  I hadn't thought about controls for that bit! hahahaha

I'll ignore the NSE twaddle  :D

Hmph!

Honestly, you help a Wookie out and he responds by insulting the sacred toothpaste! How rude  :P  ;)

Skyline2uk

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
 :greatpicturessign: I agree with your idea of getting it runing  first and changing the buildings gradually except the silos ,the idea of a dairy would fit in nicely with a west county layout so that is a top priority .One thing I personaly would do is a small plaque saying who the original builder was and what the layout was called .I have been to so many shows over the last 40 years and one of my pet hates is to see someone standing behind a layout and listening to them telling the public that they built this and that when I know who actually built it .
My own layout was originally the HIGH WYCOMBE CLUBs  layout which was a very large but basic layout  but now itís so heavily modified that even Ron North who scratch built the station didnít recognise the rest of the layout , the first thing I tell visitors is that it was the old club layout and I have printed a sign to that effect .Im actually proud that I rescued it from being smashed and put in the skip .
Well done for giving this layout a new lease of life and good luck with your ideas .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:22:01 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »
I quite agree Bob, I wouldnít dream of claiming it for my own. Unfortunately I donít know which club built it, as it has been through at least two private ownerships since leaving the club.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
I think you have something with great operating potential there, Mike. I agree about the dairy but think even the current building is somewhat modern for mid 60s or earlier. I beg to differ about the Royal Mail building as a dedicated parcels siding just appeals to me so I would keep that albeit, as you say, with some alterations.
Please don't go overdoing things! :worried:

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
This looks a really nice project and the eras proposed are right up my street, I look forward to following progress on Weston End  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
I agree about the dairy but think even the current building is somewhat modern for mid 60s or earlier.

It will have to stay for now, there is far too much to do before sorting that out. Iíll just put a dairy sign on it for now.

Parcels would actually be quite good as I have a very acceptable train of parcels wagons now.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
Wookiee you could allways turn the Royal Mail dept into a B R S parcels dept
Thatís what I did with the Argos dept  that I put on my layout when I worked there , B R S would fit in with the era you are thinking of ,well I think it would I might be wrong .
Those big silos could be modified a bit to be milk storage tanks and as you said just put up a Dairy and bottling plant  sign .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:31:56 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
As promised, a couple of photos of the whole layout set up in my lounge:

By and large it wasn't too bad a session. The trackwork was filthy and needed a damn good clean to start with, then a couple of points needs a really thorough clean.
The outer mainline wouldn't work on one half of the layout, but that was soon pinpointed as a broken piece of track, I'm hoping a quick dab of solder will sort that out.
Three other places are dodgy where soldered joints have dried out or joiners are making poor contact. A bit of fettling should do it.
I've decided to take the road section off the front - it bulges out over the the baseboard edge, and makes it impossible to fit perspex along the front. It also means the bolt joining the two halves together has to come up through the road (!) and makes building a transportation case difficult - it has to go!  :D
Three of the four yard lights work, plus the two lamps at the bus stop and two of the three platform lamps - not bad :)
Both double slips work nicely, which is good - I've never experienced those before.
Overall I'm pleased, and my friends were impressed.
It's already booked in for our club Open Day next October so I'd better get my finger out.........

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 01:09:05 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  Good luck with this project Mike, look forward to more progress updates
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 02:34:30 AM »
Wookiee you could allways turn the Royal Mail dept into a B R S parcels dept
Thatís what I did with the Argos dept  that I put on my layout when I worked there , B R S would fit in with the era you are thinking of ,well I think it would I might be wrong .
Those big silos could be modified a bit to be milk storage tanks and as you said just put up a Dairy and bottling plant  sign .
Bob Tidbury

If the period 1955-65 is chosen, then a BRS depot would be perfectly valid. My father used to drive for BRS during that time.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
The town planning committee have given planning consent to the developers proposals for the new Weston shopping centre. Today the demolition company moved in with their crane and wrecking ball and knocked down all the slum buildings to clear the site.
We understand that the Weston Daily Press cameraman has visited the area and that there will be photos in tomorrow's edition.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
WESTERN DAILY PRESS
Wednesday 5th December 2018

FURIOUS ROW BREAKS OUT OVER NEW TOWN CENTRE DEVELOPMENT

A furious row has erupted between the Weston Town Council planning department and the demolition company Bodgitt and Skarper.
The Council are claiming that B&S should have erected fencing around the cleared sites, whilst B&S are insisting that this responsibility falls to the developers Bent and Krooked, and say that in any case the whole site is now very level and represents no danger to the public. Meanwhile the church elders are incensed that B&S have dug the hedging on the church boundary. B&K have assured them that a new wall will be built in its place once building work commences.

Coincidentally, the new train operators have realised that the previous company missed a trick by not using the long brick wall above the station as advertising space, and have promptly applied to the council for consent to erect advertising hoardings along the wall. Our intrepid reporter has already spoken the the council, and they have indicated that nothing will be allowed to protrude above the top of the wall.

Offline wookie

• Awards
Re: Weston
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
Quite a bit of progress on the new layout.
First of all I decided to drop "End" off the name - I quite like it as just Weston.
Yesterday I built two sets of legs for one half of the layout:

Today I built one pair for the other end, Then I dismantled Wookery and stored it at one end of the railway room. It will be quite some time before I get back to working on it I think.
Then Weston was installed in its place:

And finally, of course, I had to run some trains:

What better than a Western on Weston?

Annoyingly, all the point motors on the mainline have stopped working. All the others work okay.
I'm hoping that it is just one of the 21 pin connectors not in properly - it's not a good fit, and it's tricky to do under the layout - or I could be looking for a broken wire somewhere!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:29:56 PM by wookie »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal