New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiring Question  (Read 288 times)

Offline AdrianC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wiring Question
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »
Hi all,

My electric wiring knowledge isn't what it should be but I wondered how to wire my layout so I could switch between two different controllers. The reason is it's predominantly single track with a long loop in the middle, all broken into several isolated sections, including a goods yard. I want to be able to run the layout with easily with one or two people.
I have no desire to go DCC (on this layout anyway...).

I'm sure it can be done but quite don't know how. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Adrian

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »
Is each section double isolated (both rails)?   I prefer that over common-return wiring.   Just use a DPDT switch for each section, with the switched terminals feeding the track, and the two controllers wired to each side of the switch.

Found this diagram on the net, maybe not the clearest but it does show the concept

Here's a similar idea using common return wiring and SPDT switches.  The trouble with common return is you MUST ensure your two controllers are completely separate circuits (eg. powered by separate transformers).  Hence I've always gone the whole way and double isolated everything so I can use any controller I wish without worrying about such things.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:37:07 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
As above, a  dpdt switch is the answer,wiring on the back of each switch goes something like this

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Wow, thanks both, that's exactly what i wanted :)

In answer to ntpntpntp's question all sections are double isolated. I was playing safe when laying the track, as I had this idea in mind.

:thankyousign:

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Just to add quickly, having DPDT switches with centre off (ie. three positions) enables you to isolate any section, by not having it connected to any controller.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
Nothing to be scared of.  Just go at it logically, testing one wire at a time.  The panel front may look like this...

while the back looks like this!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
haha @LAandNQFan, that is exactly what I'm afraid of!! Although for reasons of economy and time I'm not currently bothering with point motors (everything is in easy reach) so it might not look too frightening  :worried: :uneasy: ;)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Lovely panel and how did you keep all the wires so tidy?  ;)

Seems a lot more organised than my mess-up that's 'Grewed like Topsy' over the last couple of years.

I blame the coming of those tiny LEDs. They've certainly added to my underworld underboard chaos!

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »

while the back looks like this!

:goggleeyes: :o Is it safe to come out yet, Mummy? :uneasy:

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
Ahh, spaghetti junction, I guess that's what mine will look like when it's finished.  Must  buy some of those ty-wraps with the little labels on.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:24 PM »
Ahh, spaghetti junction, I guess that's what mine will look like when it's finished.  Must  buy some of those ty-wraps with the little labels on.
Just number the connectors in the choc blocks and don't lose the list!

That's what you said when I first posted that picture, Mick!  Your mum should have coaxed you from behind the sofa and started you on wiring your layout by now!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here