New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Merchant Navy Rebuilt DCC conversion  (Read 350 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: Farish Merchant Navy Rebuilt DCC conversion
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:32 AM »
Still waiting for the NBrass Bogie to be delivered, not looking good for a successful delivery at the moment, so I contacted BRLines for one of the current model and they told me it will not fit, not only saying it lifts the front driving wheels but also can give a short circuit as it can touch both sets of wheels.  doug22150 did you have these issues and if yes how did you modify them to get over it.

Will have to await NBrass sending a replacement if mine has gone missing in the post

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
Hi Paul

I had a similar conversation with Bob at BR Lines but he did say that the later China-built Modified MNs were slightly different and mine are all China-built. I had to very slightly modify the replacement bogies to make them sit correctly. As Bob had said the replacement initially raised the leading coupled wheels off the track - I only found this when I coupled up to a train and the loco. lost traction very easily. I had to do some filing on the bogie - slightly enlarging the mounting hole at the end of the bogie pivot arm and filing down the top of the bogie so that the mounting screw went further into the bogie and cleared the underside of the chassis.

I bought my replacement bogies direct from Bachmann at 12.00 each plus postage

Doug

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
Odrails. I'm very interested in your approach as I'm just starting work on another Modified MN. You mention inserting the Digihat and soldering an orange wire to the lower brush clip but do you insulate the legs of the brush with the Kynar heat shrink that comes with the DigiHat? That's why, following Andrew Pascoe's approach, so much filing is necessary to the frames.

I'm thinking of using your approach this time and I'd like to be sure that I've understood it correctly. 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything