!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 8299 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
As having reduced working hours and watching everything, I found old matches clipped the ends of and found a twig in woods. Near enough had to watch my fingers with the scalpel but pva and let dry and they make good timber lengths with the brush fine enough then painted the straps. Did you find the Langley kit easy chris ?

Yeah, not bad at all - considering it was my first go at painting little people.
It comes with the two blokes wielding the saw, the saw as a separate casting, one bloke holding an axe, the sawing trestle (2 ends and a crossbeam to be joined together), a log and a chopping block for the axeman. I replaced the log with a length of the same wood I'd used for the timber stack.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2020, 03:59:01 PM »
That is a lovely little scene Chris.
You have made a super job of painting those little figures.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
That is a lovely little scene Chris.
You have made a super job of painting those little figures.

Thanks, mate.
I guess painting all those flippin' sheep and the harnessed horses for the snigging teams on Coniston got me into practice.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
I'd swear the ad asked for 'Tree Fellers' but now the axe murdeman has been removed there's only 2 of them :confused2:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2020, 10:14:32 AM »
I'd swear the ad asked for 'Tree Fellers' but now the axe murdeman has been removed there's only 2 of them :confused2:

ROTFLMAO  :D

David, give Mick his ID back  ;)

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »

As I saw posted yesterday - family self-isolation? What could go wrong?

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »
Thanks it certainly provides a talking point cameo and are you using Langley items ? Chris. A cameo just provides an extra space filler and some inspiration impetus to model  and take your mind off world events

Yep, they're 2/3 of the Langley Foresters kit. By sheer chance I'd seen it on eBay shortly before you suggested someone cutting up the timbers, so i went straight back to find and order it.

I dare say I'll find somewhere to bung the bloke with an axe sometime. Could hide him in the woodland in front of Coniston station, I guess.

depending on the pose, could be chopping a bit of kindling or splitting logs for a domestic fire?

Don't think the layouts extend far enough to have the Billies charcoal burning?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
Thanks it certainly provides a talking point cameo and are you using Langley items ? Chris. A cameo just provides an extra space filler and some inspiration impetus to model  and take your mind off world events

Yep, they're 2/3 of the Langley Foresters kit. By sheer chance I'd seen it on eBay shortly before you suggested someone cutting up the timbers, so i went straight back to find and order it.

I dare say I'll find somewhere to bung the bloke with an axe sometime. Could hide him in the woodland in front of Coniston station, I guess.

depending on the pose, could be chopping a bit of kindling or splitting logs for a domestic fire?

He's standing with the axe held up and the head a bit above shoulder level - splitting logs would work best, especially as the kit included a log offcut for use as a chopping block.

Don't think the layouts extend far enough to have the Billies charcoal burning?

Nah, definitely not enough room. All the woodland is rather closer to a station than would likely have been tolerated for charcoal burning.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
Since Coniston, Torver and Woodland are now liberally populated with people, animals and goods yard activity, I decided that it was time to return to Broughton.

Job #1 was to make, fit, wire and test eighteen uncoupling solenoids and, of course, having tested them individually I just had to give them all a combined testing playing session ala Minories - although with four sidings, two loops and fifteen (*) uncoupling points, I reckon Maxories would be a more appropriate name.

(*) the other uncoupling points are one in the headshunt and one at each end of the down platform road.

Having done that I've started on the fixed structures that need to go in prior to ballasting, namely the two passenger platforms and two goods yard dock platforms, one of which is adjacent to one of the wagon turntables.

This is an overview of most of the layout, seen from just short of the end of the down platform. You may remember that Broughton had an unusual operating practice in that, due to lack of space when adding the loop and second platform, the north end loop point is partway along the original platform thereby preventing the road being changed if a train is at the platform. Thus, down trains use the righthand (normally up) side of the loop and up trains use what would normally be the down side. Hence, the platform nearest the camera is, despite being to the right of the tracks, the down platform.

I've only fitted the trackside edging since this platform was constructed on timber legs, which I have yet to build. However, in the absence of photographic evidence to the contrary I'm filling in the trackside face and will only have legs showing along the back of the platform - that being the visible side when the layout's completed - since it makes it easier for me to ensure that I have good clearance for locos and stock passing through. The grey stripe is to show me roughly where the back edge needs to go when I get around to it.

This is an overview of the goods yard with the up platform on the raised ground behind the yard. We have a straight dock platform on the front edge and the cattle and cross-track dock to the right. The three coupled Trumpton wagons are in the coal siding, with the staithes to be placed in front of them. The placeholder for the goods shed is hiding behind the red Pugh wagon.

Finally, a closer view of the dock beside the cross track which will also contain the cattle pen at the far end. This dock, obviously, has a face to both tracks and a quarter-circle cutout by the wagon turntable to clear the wagons' buffers when turning them. At a later date, I'll add the ramp off the dock to the right - although it'll be truncated a tad by the edge of the baseboard.
In an ideal world, I'd have made the baseboard 3-4" wider to allow for that but I'm right on the limit of width to be able to fit all four layouts in the room (or all except Coniston) in one load in the car.

Just a few more placeholders to make/fit, e.g goods shed base, signal box base, ground frame base and signal bases, then I suppose it'll be time to start on my favourite eye-strainer - the point rodding.

In between, I've got a ballasting experiment on the go. All the photos I've found of Broughton show the ballast to have been somewhat finer than that I've used on the other stations and packed up right to the sleeper tops, and even over them in places, so I'd like to try and replicate that.
I've got a test length of track ballasted with chinchilla dust, which looks about the right texture for what I want but definitely not the right colour so I'm experimenting with different colour mixes of thinned down emulsion until I get one with which I'm happy.
When I've got the colour decided I can start the ballasting by partially infilling around the tracks for the flat(ter) areas outside the sleeper ends with card or something similar so that I can, hopefully, get those areas the same texture and colour as they will be close to and between the rails but make it easier to get a good flattish surface right across, then get busy with the spreader, brushes, spray bottle and glue.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
Impressive. Is that the humble jinty loco one spots?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: March 29, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »
Impressive. Is that the humble jinty loco one spots?

Yep - it's the shortest wheelbase loco I have, and am likely to run, so is ideal for checking for any dead or iffy spots on the track. It's also the best one I have for shunting.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #326 on: March 29, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
Great hours of fun shunting those wagons around. Love it

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP