!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Flüfeld - Swiss based modern layout  (Read 248 times)

Offline Dave_K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
Flüfeld - Swiss based modern layout
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »

Hello. Welcome to the Flüfeld layout construction thread!

Who, what, when and why: I have been interested in trains since the year dot, spent 9 years on British Rail before leaving and becoming a graphic designer. I have always been interested in modelling - the usual kits stuff as a kid and that naturally led to railways. I have had a few layouts over the years, all OO but the lack of space to run longer trains always bugged me so I moved to N. Due to the size this seemed to then increase the work required to finish a layout. I have never really been 100% happy with a layout and so typically they get to the 80% stage before they are unceremoniously dismantled.

Having been lucky to visit Switzerland a couple of times, I began to notice their transport system and found I became quite interested, when previously I had dismissed it as 'foreign stuff'. Last year I went with my brother to Fluelen and spent time in that area, and one place in particular - Pratteln. Here I experienced something I had long lost - a constant stream of workings, freight and passenger, an experience akin to what I used to get sitting on the end of Reading platform as a kid. No internet, no freight timetables, just taking pleasure from things randomly turning up.

I have pushed my interest to learning a bit more about the motive power but also the desire to do something different - so an open frame layout with Swiss (and area) freight/pass workings is my goal.

Flüfeld is an obvious mashup of Fluelen and Erstfeld - nothing stunning original but it trips off the tongue nicely.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:13:52 PM by Dave_K »

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
Re: Flüfeld - Swiss based modern layout
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:43:34 PM »

A crude isometric drawing of how I envisage the layout coming together. A study support for the frame that sits on top, risers then support plywood that holds the track in higher state, allowing me to fill in the gaps as hills/valleys as I see fit.

This is the layout as planned on RailModeller pro. I am using Kato track as a) I hate ballasting b) It has a form of ballast already attached to various pre-prepared track sizes c) I hate ballasting d) I'm looking to make life easier for myself e)...you guess it.

The main area has a loop of three track. Inner will be a passenger service with a station on one side, the other two loops will be primarily will have freight. The smaller board house the sidings and are designed to allow trains in, loco can detach, run round and shunt as required. For added interest, a small depot for loco will be on the inside of the inner loop opposite the station. The far side (with the single siding) is probably going to be a cement (Holcim) siding.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:17:33 PM by Dave_K »

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:47:36 PM »
I look forward to following your progress Dave.
My interest in Swiss railways came about in a very similar way to yours. When I first visited in about 1990 it was just like British Railways were when I was a kid but without the steam. :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:42:01 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 04:58:19 AM »
Hi Dave,

Great to have another Continental modeller on board so looking forward to your build very much.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 05:28:16 AM »
I ain't a continental modeller either (well, living where I do perhaps I am  ;)), but I too will be looking at this with interest.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »
You can add me to the list of followers for this thread as well.  (-:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »
A good start, Dave. I gather you hate ballasting, then? :D

Here I experienced something I had long lost - a constant stream of workings, freight and passenger akin to what I used to get sitting on the end of Reading platform as a kid. No internet, no freight timetables, just taking pleasure from things randomly turning up.

That's exactly how I remember my spotting days. No doubt there was some form of 'system' but at the age I was then I was unaware of it. Just kept an eye on signals to see if something was 'pegged' and hoped it was something new I could underline in my Ian Allan books ;D

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
It is always nice to see another continental layout around!

Looking forward to see it coming into to place.  :beers:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 01:58:09 PM »
Greetings from across the border in Königshafen, where Swiss trains do appear occasionally...   :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
Thanks very much for the kind comments guys, I shall endeavour to keep regular updates on this voyage of new non-UK layout discovery! I have already found inspiration and learned things from reading other people's threads, whether it be layouts or questions. This is very much a voyage into the unknown as Kato and all the other foreign manufacturers are 'new' to me and I am tentatively learning what is good, bad and expensive! Please feel free to pass on any advice you might have.

Quote from: Newportnobby
A good start, Dave. I gather you hate ballasting, then? :D

You noticed then? :D

Quote from: Newportnobby
That's exactly how I remember my spotting days. No doubt there was some form of 'system' but at the age I was then I was unaware of it.

Yes, I believe some were more 'in the knowledge' about certain workings but I too was blissfully unaware of it and just took joy from watching what turned up.

Quote from: ntpntpntp
Greetings from across the border in Königshafen, where Swiss trains do appear occasionally...

Greeting back across the border, I'm sure a few transient visitors may pass through Flüfeld in due course!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
Swiss layouts are always good! Watching with interest.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
Swiss layouts are always good! Watching with interest.

Me too!

I'm also building a Swiss RhB layout with Kato track and trains, so keep the posts coming....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
Agree with the others, Swiss inspired N gauge is the way to go! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress! I also got interested Swiss trains in very much the same way after my trip to Switzerland. I was sure to find a model shop before I left the country and left with two SBB coaches  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:09:11 PM by Brandon_5 »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal