!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 32727 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1050 on: September 21, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
The street named Turntable road is on the site of the old locomotive depot demolished in the early 70s and now housing.
And Frogmore Pond is North East of the station located just to the west of the station avoiding line just South of the East chord.the pond is literally 200 yards North of Railway Inn.

Marin, sorry I got my directions wrong - you're right, of course. I tend to think of anything between the station and the town as being south. Without re-checking (unwise) I think the station tracks are SW/NE.

What was the function of the locomotive depot? Was that the original engine shed? It certainly explains why the turntable was there. The Ordnance Survey (1941 revision) shows the engine shed (eight tracks; four inside), turntable, and coaling station together with the cattle pens next to the station. the goods shed was about halfway between the station and the engine shed. The grouping of all but the goods station and cattle pens are confirmed in photographs, and I expect that somewhere there are photos of those two facilities. So I got the engine shed and coaling station right (within reason) and fictionalized the location of the goods shed on my layout. I decided to use the available siding on the right side, near Frogmore Pond, and ignore the need for a turntable (duh!) for lack of room. We've discussed this before, but my comment to Chris was because of my lack of clarity about the original purpose for the siding passing under the stone bridge. That post to Chris motivated me to look again for an explanation and I discovered the aerial photograph and the name of a street identified with a railroad turntable. Too bad the Britain from Above photo doesn't extend further to the NE, for I suspect the engine shed and turntable were there in 1929. However, your explanation is appreciated and further confirms what I'd deduced when I saw Turntable Place.

As stated previously, while I couldn't model the Westbury Junction with fidelity I have tried really hard to understand the development and function of the station. My layout represents a GWR station and junction in 1939 with characteristics of Westbury. I've visited the station twice, exercised extensive online research, and acquired a couple of books with photographs and descriptions of the station. Further, I've had invaluable guidance from Martin! Am I satisfied? No, but I've done the best I can!

Leon
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:48:05 PM by Leon, Reason: Additional info »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1051 on: September 21, 2019, 08:14:31 PM »
Indeed the locomotive depot was the old engine shed with the turntable at the rear accessed by a track alongside the depot. The coaling stage was on the same side but at the front of the depot.
Laurence, Ive got a fair few books so Ill see if I can find you more photographs over the next few days.
Martin

By the way, I think your layout does a fair job of representing Westbury.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1052 on: September 21, 2019, 09:22:16 PM »
Fair as in not doing Westbury an injustice?  :D As it appears today, it's only a fair representation of any station, but I'm working to upgrade that assessment. It's still one step forward and two backward, though. I've put my locomotives in safe storage and moved much of my other rolling stock into the tunnels. Once again, I've lifted track and am preparing to re-lay with adjustments made necessary by adding buildings and bridges to the layout. This phase will take a little time, but I"m going on vacation in ten days so it will be a long time before I can show the changes.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1053 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »
That sounds like perseverence to me!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: September 26, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »
Laurence, I just saw your post from a few days ago. For some reason, I don't get notifications when I open this site and don't automatically go to my own subjects unless I've a need to post something. I just discovered a post to another thread and figured I should check my other two.

Perseverance I have in ample quantity, but it does get a little discouraging at times. I built the Metcalfe Tunnel Entrances Kit only to discover that the height of my roadway will not match the girder bridge to which it must connect. I should have been able to work that out before building what is now a useless tunnel/bridge. Never mind, every kit constructed adds something to the cumulative knowledge of modelling. In this case, I've learned that locomotives don't require the same clearance for a bridge that's required for a tunnel! I should have already known that, but it hadn't sunk into my thick skull.

Leon

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: September 27, 2019, 07:40:33 AM »
Laurence, I just saw your post from a few days ago. For some reason, I don't get notifications when I open this site and don't automatically go to my own subjects unless I've a need to post something. I just discovered a post to another thread and figured I should check my other two.
Hi Leon
If you click 'Profile' at the top of the page and then select 'Account Settings' you will see 'Modify Profile'.  Select 'Notifications' from the drop down list and then tick the  two tick boxes.  Select you prefered options below that.  You should then receive Emails when threads are updated.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: October 17, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
I've just returned from a touring vacation of my old homesites in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas - with Lousiana and Missouri thrown in to reduce driving distances. It will take me a while to catch up on the threads I follow, so in the meantime here's a link that some may find interesting. A man has scratch-built an aircraft model, using original blueprints, that is 100% prototypical. I wondered if anyone has ever done that with a locomotive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4h8yHdgFc

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1057 on: October 17, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
Good to see you back Leon.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: October 17, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
I've just returned from a touring vacation of my old homesites in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas - with Lousiana and Missouri thrown in to reduce driving distances. It will take me a while to catch up on the threads I follow, so in the meantime here's a link that some may find interesting. A man has scratch-built an aircraft model, using original blueprints, that is 100% prototypical. I wondered if anyone has ever done that with a locomotive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4h8yHdgFc

Leon

Guillermo Rojas Bazan is a legend of museum/concourse aviation modelling. I've had the honour of meeting him on two occasions during my stint at the RAF Museum Hendon. A good old chap, unbelievably modest about his artistry and a total aviation history nut.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:10:56 PM by RailGooner »
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1059 on: October 18, 2019, 05:37:42 AM »

Leon

Thanks Leon. It is an amazing video and an incredible model. Scary in fact.

I know this is REALLY boring and nerdy and off-subject of me, but, because I'm boring, nerdy and off-subject I thought I 'd share this. Did you know that that the F4-U Corsair's wings have that bent shape not for the same reason as the Junkers JU-87 Stuka did ie: for dive-bombing, but because the engine was so powerful and, therefore, the propeller so big, it was necessary to mount the undercarriage under the dropped section of wing to keep the prop off the floor?

I am a mine of information. :'(

I'll go now...........................
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1060 on: November 14, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »
I'm grateful for the concern expressed by Chris and some others for my well-being. I had thought of posting an explanation even before I received a personal message. So, here it is for Chris and the others.

My doctors have assured me there's a good chance I'll live past my "use by date". Long enough, in fact, that I could outlive my model railway project! So, I've adjusted my routine for that and another reason. I'm not very good at multi-tasking and I have another interest that's just as compelling as railroads - genealogy. My recent trip was to visit my extended family, all who live some considerable distance from me; many of them I'd not seen in nearly thirty years. On that trip, I was able to share some of my research into our family history, and a couple or three people expressed an interest in knowing more. Further, I have a distant cousin with whom I've collaborated for several years in an effort to bridge a gap in our family tree. So, these last few weeks I've doubled down to try "fleshing out" some of the branches of the tree - Lowes of Jones County Mississippi. I have over 12,000 names in my tree, but many of them are on what I call "dangling branches" - branches that aren't firmly attached to the trunk.

I started my layout mainly to rest my eyes (and brain) from hundreds of hours of computer research, but I'm still passionate about finishing the layout. I've started working on another kit to complete my road bridge across the station rails, but genealogy is taking precedence for a few more days (weeks?).

I've taken the relevant DNA tests and know for a fact that my family emigrated, over many years, from Cheshire and Lancashire. The most recent immigrant was in 1901 from Chester, but the earliest were pre-colonial and that's the part I'm having difficulty with - that and the fact that there were SO many John and James Lowes in that region during the 1600s and 1700s. Interestingly, to me, is the number of surnames that my ancestors. Among them are Pederson, Withers/Weathers, Jamieson, Gilbert, Oulton, Lindop, and Walker. There are many reasons for the derivations - adoption, infidelity, and the fact that people of the same genetic family took different names when surnames become common. Just a couple of days ago I discovered a female Lowe who married a Spaniard in the post-Revolutionary period who retained her surname after marriage. All of the children were named Lowe! Incidentally, I believe my ancestors migrated from Western Europe via Denmark, Norway, Faroe and Scottish Islands, and Ireland before crossing to Cheshire and Lancashire.

I'd be grateful for the names of persons you may know born in Chester or Lancashire with the surnames I've mentioned. In genealogy, you don't leave any stone unturned, and one of you may be my cousin!  ;)  :helpneededsign: I may make another trip to Chester this summer!!!

Please forgive this long post unrelated to my topic!

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1061 on: November 14, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
Wow! You have been busy. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a flap it's just you seemed to, um, vanish. Glad you are well and that your research has been both interesting and fruitful.

My own project has stalled briefly due to more pressing, but mundane, issues. I have been mostly busy lining the pockets of ebay sellers but have acquired some true gems as a result.  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #1062 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »
Hi Leon,

You might find this website interesting https://named.publicprofiler.org/

Certainly for my surname it is spot on.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1063 on: November 15, 2019, 01:18:04 AM »
An interesting website, John. It put me square in the Midlands, which is reasonable. I've seen a lot of Lowes in the central Midlands even though I think there were more in the West. Time has a lot to do with it, of course. The distribution of surnames in the 1800s would be somewhat different from today as coal mining and heavy industries have all but vanished in many places. Migration changes the epicenter, also. In the United States, most of the Lowes moved from Maryland and Virginia down through the Carolinas to the deep South and west to Arkansas and Texas. That seems to have been the main thrust, but there were smaller groups that took a more westerly course through Tennessee and Kentucky. My mother's family (Webbs) took that route, also, and married into the Boone family (i.e. Daniel Boone).

The couple search didn't work so well (Lowe/Taylor). It didn't even attempt a match!

Thanks for sharing!

Leon

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #1064 on: November 15, 2019, 02:04:05 AM »
Hi Leon,

The only 'Lowes' I've heard of are the actor Arthur Lowe from Dad's Army and other things and John Lowe the great darts player. Thought I'd google them and both were born in Derbyshire next door to Cheshire. Might be of interest.

Anyway the main thing is you are OK.

Good to hear from you again and looking forward to more layout progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here