!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)  (Read 3540 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2020, 04:12:46 PM »
That's one stunning fleet

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2020, 04:14:00 PM »
Absolutely fabulous; 72A lives on!  I'm assuming that you are avoiding the 83D episode.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
Absolutely fabulous; 72A lives on!  I'm assuming that you are avoiding the 83D episode.

Best wishes.

John

83D  :hmmm: our SR history books end in Jan 1963 John, I couldn't possibly know what your referring too  :-[

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2020, 08:10:15 PM »
I'm struggling with a bit of a dilemma here.........

The desire to get this layout fully operational is as great as it's ever been and today, a solid slog for 14hrs at work, doing nothing exciting and nothing that required much thinking.

The worst way to spend a day!!!!

So my mind naturally wandered away to the layout. I recently purchased a Scotrail class 47 which thanks to Ian at Mercig will become ex-scotrail NSE branded loco, simply because I think they look absolutely amazing in that shabby livery. Since owning it and discussing with Ian the work I've been thinking about the layout.

Today, the mainline we are modelling still exists although all the lineside industries have gone, remnants of the buildings still exist, but nothing else.

I've never really looked into a split timeline layout BUT as 1 end still exists unchanged really I'm thinking I might be able to make it work.

I'm not fussed about the class 50, they didnt have a good reputation but a couple of replacement 47s would be right up my street. As such I've recently discovered (I'm not very upto date) the GF Capital Connect set, and very decent it looks too.

So IF I was to allow the layout to run 1959-63 and then about 89-93 to allow me to run Ex-scotrail and full NSE class 47s, what coaches would I be running????

Apologies for the long winded way of asking I just thought I'd share some thinking and a bit of background information.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2020, 08:23:39 PM »
Craig. A mk2 brake, 4 or 5 two, 1 first, maybe a buffet. Nse, intercity, blue grey livery   a full BG brake maybe.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2020, 09:12:32 PM »
Cheers chris, next thing is

Are the coaches I need available RTR???

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:39 PM »
Should be craig. The capital starter set is a good one to be build upon. I'm not sure on the nse stock you may have to search around eg kernow or other suppliers. If not in a hurry as only retailers are taking online and card payments and the mails its usual

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
Interesting, your observation about the Class 50s.  I always found them pretty powerful beasts.  My first encounter with one was with my namesake hauling fifteen coaches up Lickey Bank unaided.  Admittedly, the loco motor was going flat out and we were down to something like 30mph by the time we reached te top, but what a stalwart!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »
I recently purchased a Scotrail class 47 which thanks to Ian at Mercig will become ex-scotrail NSE branded loco, simply because I think they look absolutely amazing in that shabby livery.

Hope that's not going to get you in trouble with the Boss @Tank

Can you afford all the stock for 2 such eras, Craig? :worried:
Running 4 different regions over a 10 year span in transition I know just how much it can take, and has resulted in @Lawrence telling me I could open a shop! Mind you, did I really need to buy more than one example of each item......................................YES, of course I did :D

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
Hi Craig
from Semgonline website: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/brmk2_1.html

"...the Southern had nothing to do with Mk 2 stock until their introduction by the Western Region on Waterloo to Exeter services from 1978 - this as a result of a cascade of coaching stock on the WR following the introduction of High Speed Trains on their principal services. Although not run in fixed sets as was customary for coach stock on the Southern there were five semi-permanent rakes of nine coaches dedicated to this service. These rakes consisted of Mk 2b second opens (TSO), first corridors (FK) and brake first corridors (BFK) and catering was provided by Mk 2c Micro Buffets (TSOT). Upon sectorisation these rakes were inherited by Network SouthEast who undertook interior refurbishment of the vehicles. In fact the Solent and Sarum sub sector commanded the majority of the NSE Mk2 coach fleet which elevated its services somewhat above the other remaining locomotive hauled NSE services. Although the Southern, by way of its remaining slam door EMUs, is still associated with Mk 1 designs all locomotive hauled passenger stock on the Southern, e.g. Boat Train stock, had become Mk 2 by 1987.
From July 1992 the rakes on Waterloo-Exeter services were reduced to eight coaches when the Micro Buffets were removed and replaced by a trolley service. Then in late September 1992 the rakes were further reduced to seven coaches. In these latter of locomotive hauled operation days four later Mk2 s were introduced into these rakes. Mk 2d TSO 5687, Mk 2e 5795 - these had their Intercity markings removed and NSE flashes were applied next to the coach numbers - plus Mk 2d FKs 13575 and 13563 still running in blue and grey livery. Class 159 DMUs commenced service in spring 1993 and all Mark 2 - indeed all locomotive hauled coaches - had been withdrawn by NSE by autumn 1993.

You can get everything bar the Micro buffets which are probably just a small area of a standard coach converted to a buffet with the red stripe added externally over the small buffet zone.

HTH
Bob

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »
Interregional service maybe diverted may look good. Bob has provided a good set of information

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
@Newportnobby  :-[ I very much doubt it, the only good thing about Waterloo - Exeter is that the timetable is ridiculously quiet compared to 59-63.

I'd very much like a rake of NSE coaches to go behind the Ex-scotrail so curious as to which I should be running. That in turn lead me to the Capital Connect set, and then I have another 47 so it spirals out of control.

@Bob G thanks Bob, I've watched a few YouTube videos and counted 7 and 8 coaches on lots so that at least dates them for me.

Just a pipe dream at the moment, and when you start looking at spending probably 500 on a few coaches and sets I shouldnt really be thinking about it  :'(

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »
I would look at kernow they have a decent range, whether they have any in stock @exmouthcraig is another matter. A 4 or 5 coach rake would not look too bad. Just a thought. Maybe gaugemaster.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
@Innovationgame sorry Lawrence totally missed your comment on this, my knowledge is somewhat limited but the class 50s on the WoE mainline weren't that great at doing what they did by all accounts.

If I was seriously going to be modelling both time frames, after the reputation the Dapol model has I would have to have 1, however I do think the Dutch liveried Class 50 looks truly magnificent.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal