!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stuttgart Show 2018  (Read 352 times)

Offline jthjth

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Stuttgart Show 2018
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »
I went to the Stuttgart N show for the first time. Iíve put some photos here for anyone interested

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0R5n8hH4Gc8Od7

You can enlarge an individual picture by clicking on it.

Regards

Julian Thornhill

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Stuttgart Show 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:25:09 AM »
Great pictures!

Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:

Was it a good show?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:51 AM »
Great photos, thanks for sharing!     Quite a few modules I don't recognise.

I am disappointed I couldn't make it over there again this year, I'll have to make sure I take a module or two out next year.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Thirded, great pictures.

Some fantastic layouts there and it doesn't look too busy.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online snitchthebudgie

• 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Just back from the show last night, having exhibited for the four days with East Surrey N Gauge (with help from Richard from West Sussex).  As we didn't appear in the photos, I've added a couple!  We had our usual fun visit - though it's hard work running trains from 9am to 6pm over the weekend.  There's some very good modelling on show, an little that's 'below par'.  It's also a very social time, meeting up with friends from all over Europe (yes, that is still possible).  And of course, most of the modules are joined into one gigantic 'N' gauge layout - you send a train out and it returns hours later.

And a couple of favourite modules - one all the way from Japan with Mr Kato and a school group.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:51:48 AM by snitchthebudgie »

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the show. Itís the first time Iíve been to an overseas exhibition, and my motivation was to see how it differed from a UK one, and also to see if I could pick up any new ideas. My main modelling interest is UK (I did Langston Bridge which you might have seen at TINGS), but Iím open minded towards European stuff, probably harking back to my Interrail days from 40 years ago.

Iím not sure if the show was intended to be almost entirely modular, or thatís just the way continental N is done. There were few stand alone layouts. Modular has pluses and minuses for me. On the plus side I think it is a very sociable form of railway modelling. The negatives for me are the very mixed quality of modelling from the superb to the awful. It also leads to flat earth syndrome - everything is on one level. To my mind Swiss railways at least ought to be runnning through something less flat. You also end up with totally non proto typical trains running round the layouts - eg a German train stopping in a Japanese station. Having said that, there were a couple of very well executed large layouts which impressed me. Given the vast amount of track in use it did seem to be suffering from a dose of not many moving trains syndrome, something that afflicts UK shows as well.

The show was certainly not at all crowded, nothing like TINGS on a Saturday, but I think it has run over more days. Having said that, all the other exhibitions in the same complex (food etc) were not crowded either, in stark contrast to similar at the NEC.

From a different perspective, my wife, who tolerates my hobby but isnít overly interested, said she much preferred the style of layouts at TINGS, and she didnít much care for the way the modular system caused the scenery to rapidly change. She was also sharply critical of the standard of modelling on some of the modules. So perhaps it was an exhibition more for the exhibitors than the general public?

I enjoyed looking at the different sorts of rolling stock on offer, and have succumbed to a Kato RhB loco and 8 coaches. 300 euro for the lot seemed quite reasonable and not out of line with UK outline pricing. There were some lovely narrow gauge (ie 6mm track) RhB offerings on show, but at 1300 euro for a loco and a couple of wagons well out of my price range. I was entertained by the chap selling a couple of gold plated locomotives.

It was an interesting show, and Iím glad Iíve been. Iím not sure that modular model railways are for me though, but Iíd not denigrate those that find it enjoyable. Each to their own.

Regards

Julian Thornhill

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
Hi snitchthe budgie,

Thank you too for sharing. Glad you had a good time.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Yeah, I've never been a fan of people sticking modules together, the difference in modelling skills jumps out you. Bit like the Great Model Railway Challenge.

However the Japanese contingent at the show has me totally impressed.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:27:06 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Many thanks for the photos. These days I think I enjoy looking at modular layouts more than the Ďtraditionalí sort  :thumbsup:

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
@jthjth
A great and extensive set of photos Julian. Thanks for taking the trip and for posting a link to them here. I shall definitely have to make the journey one year. So much variety and so much talent and ingenuity on display - and uncrowded, so my wife will be happy too.

@snitchthebudgie
A fine looking layout. Thanks for adding your experience of the show.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:08:24 AM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
It does make for a good trip with your other half. The admission ticket if purchased in advance, costs 13 euro which includes public transport to and from Stuttgart. We stayed in a city centre hotel. The exhibition centre is colocated with the airport around 10 miles out of town. The ticket also lets you into all the other exhibitions, of which there were more than half a dozen. We wandered round most of them, sore feet bringing us to an eventual halt. The exhibition centre itself is significantly more pleasant than the NEC. The only real disappointment is that Stuttgartís town centre Christmas Market doesnít start until next week. They were just putting things together this weekend.

Online snitchthebudgie

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
I suppose that I'd better push back a little for modular layouts and the Stuttgart meet.  Even as the secretary of an N-gauge modular club, I agree that I probably prefer a lot of non-modular layouts - but that's as far as it goes.  For those of us without a large home layout and no large club room, a modular layout gives a chance to run those full length Eurostars and long passenger trains that we have accumulated over the years.  And it gives a chance for many of the club members to contribute to the show.

Personally, I thought that there were less 'poor' modules at Stuttgart than all those 'filler' layouts that appear at a lot of shows.  I've been looking at the Warley photos the other forum today and was underwhelmed!  And it's harsh to describe the layouts as flat.  Some of the best modelling was of bridges, rivers, and urban areas with the railway on embankment.  Some change of scenery between modules is inevitable, but there were a lot of long 'runs' of modules designed to fit together with a uniform scenic treatment.

Agreed, there is a mix of trains running.  Operating, that's great fun - you don't know what you are going to get next!

And as noted above, you are paying once to get into all the 10 halls in the Messe.  It's more than a model railway show.

I think this year's show had some problems in that the organisers tried to squeeze the model exhibition and the electronics exhibition into a single slightly larger hall.  So there were a few less traders and manufacturers there, and there is often a few HO or larger layouts to a fair standard.  I hope they will sort this out for next year. 

But enough of this.  Basically, trains are fun in any shape size and form.  Enjoy!!!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
I'd be the first to admit that a decade or so ago I was definitely not a fan of modular layouts as typically found at UK shows, too great a mixture of themes and standards for my tastes back then.   

On the other hand, the concept has grown on me since I've had the opportunity to contribute my layout to the Stuttgart show 3 times since 2003, first stand-alone then subsequently in an enhanced form which can integrate with the modular system.  I've also also joined in with the German and Austrian guys at TINGS and the Chatham Show in the past. Some of the modelling really is as good as you get on traditional stand-alone layouts, with long runs of modules all built to a decent common standard and not flat at all other than the requirement to build to an given interface at the outer ends of your section - within your boundaries you can do what you like! I know some of the guys turn out new modules pretty much every year, and now have quite a number to select from and create different layout variations.

My current and future projects are definitely following N-Club International's modular interface standard now, I'm not sure if/when I'll ever build a purely stand-alone layout again.  I guess I'm not so desperate to take a personal layout round dozens of shows any more - been there, done that! A show or two every couple of years is fine by me.  I still have the old layout at home if I get the urge to run roundy-roundy!

The Stuttgart show in particular I find very enjoyable to see what folk from other European countries get up to with their N gauge modelling, the social side is great, and also it's large enough with lots of other stuff going on in other halls of the complex that it's actually difficult to get bored even over 4 days.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
Is the Stuttgart show the main event for N in Germany, or one of many? I have to confess I was a little surprised at how few visitors there were on a Saturday.

Regards

Julian Thornhill

Online snitchthebudgie

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »
Julian,

I thought that numbers were down this year over the weekend - possibly due to the hall rearrangement.

There are plenty of other German shows - but I have no knowledge of them.

Jon

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here