!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Kit 23 RCH LMS/PO Wagon and ex-Parkside Containers and now other kits  (Read 342 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
While at Warley yesterday, I purchased three PO wagons (kit 23) and three container kits from the NGS stand. As a bit of a diversion from other bits, I assembled the wagons and two of the type A containers today.

I have to say that I really like the PO wagon kit. The Society sells a couple of PO wagon kits but this one is designed to fit around the Peco 9' wheelbase chassis (which is quite a nice representation) and was a joy to assemble. In theory this wagon represents the same type as the Peco flat pack kit but is a little taller. Comparing this wagon to some 2mm fine scale PO wagon bodies I have, I'd say that the NGS kit is closer to scale than the Peco one (although I've not checked against drawings). Also, the kit comes with metal buffer heads which look more convincing to my eye. The best thing though is the price - the Peco kit typically retails for between £6.50 and £8.50 while the Society kit worked out at £5.30 as a bulk buy of three. It doesn't sound like a huge difference but when you're looking at building thirty to forty wagons it soon adds up. I'll have to have a look at Robbie's transfers and find some suitable London coal merchants for these.

Lovely kit, thoroughly recommended.

The containers are strictly speaking BR built versions and therefore inappropriate to my 1930's layout. However, they provide a nice visual difference from the more common larger types as supplied by Peco and Farish and, suitably painted, will look the part. A kit for the large 'B' containers is also provided but I've not assembled any of these yet. The overall fit of the parts isn't quite as good as the PO wagon but still a nice kit to build.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: NGS Kit 23 RCH LMS/PO Wagon and ex-Parkside Containers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
I too built 9 of these wagons. We wanted 8 plank wagons for sand movements from Fremington Quay and NGS kit came up trumps.

I prefer the headstock being part of the wagon ends with the brass buffer heads, much better then the peco chassis, which is why the SR van kits are brilliant from the NGS.

The small containers Atso, i needed 2 just as a yard dock ornament, the farish pack of 4 pops up now and again in BR maroon but you'll obviously repaint them for less then £5, I dont know how that compares to the kit??

Glad the NGS now has its update page on the kit situation, definitely plenty worth getting from there for me when stocks are back.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
I too built 9 of these wagons. We wanted 8 plank wagons for sand movements from Fremington Quay and NGS kit came up trumps.

I prefer the headstock being part of the wagon ends with the brass buffer heads, much better then the peco chassis, which is why the SR van kits are brilliant from the NGS.

The small containers Atso, i needed 2 just as a yard dock ornament, the farish pack of 4 pops up now and again in BR maroon but you'll obviously repaint them for less then £5, I dont know how that compares to the kit??

Glad the NGS now has its update page on the kit situation, definitely plenty worth getting from there for me when stocks are back.

Yes, the headstock being part of the wagon ends is a much better method isn't it. I'll be looking to get hold of the Southern van kit in the future but I'll be pairing them with 2mm Association etch chassis kits of the correct type as I'm not a fan of the Peco generic 10' wheelbase wagon chassis (it'll still work out cheaper than a Farish wagon of the same design!).

I wasn't aware that Farish did the small contains separately! The price would work out cheaper than the kit version as well... I'll keep an eye out for these, thanks for the heads up.

Regarding kit production, I have nothing but respect and praise for those volunteers who are helping to sort out the situation. If I'd make any comment at all about the kits, it would be that I would wish for the NGS to further expand their range of pre-nationalisation era kits. However, I do appreciation that it requires a lot of man hours to source all the components, sort/count them and package everything up.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
I'll second that about everyone that volunteers for the NGS. Been a tough time recently but hopefully the page has turned and the next chapter is looking exciting.

I wondered if it was viable for the NGS to purchase the tooling from Bachmann regarding the 40T Sealion and replace kit 11 with this newer version???  Rather selfishly because i want 15 and Bachmann have abandoned it for future releases!!!!

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Atso,

Graham farish 379-391 type A container 4 pack

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »

Yes, the headstock being part of the wagon ends is a much better method isn't it. I'll be looking to get hold of the Southern van kit in the future but I'll be pairing them with 2mm Association etch chassis kits of the correct type as I'm not a fan of the Peco generic 10' wheelbase wagon chassis (it'll still work out cheaper than a Farish wagon of the same design!).

I wasn't aware that Farish did the small contains separately! The price would work out cheaper than the kit version as well... I'll keep an eye out for these, thanks for the heads up.

Regarding kit production, I have nothing but respect and praise for those volunteers who are helping to sort out the situation. If I'd make any comment at all about the kits, it would be that I would wish for the NGS to further expand their range of pre-nationalisation era kits. However, I do appreciation that it requires a lot of man hours to source all the components, sort/count them and package everything up.

Peco do some pre-BR containers. I'm not sure how authentic they are....

https://peco-uk.com/pages/search-results-page?q=container

Any help?

Best

Scott
PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
Peco do some pre-BR containers. I'm not sure how authentic they are....

https://peco-uk.com/pages/search-results-page?q=container

Any help?

Best

Scott

Thanks for having a look for me Scott.

I have a couple of the Peco containers, in LNER livery too - shame the Conflats are supplied in BR livery though! They are quite acceptable representations of the larger type 'B' containers but I'm after some of the smaller type 'A' for when I get around to modelling a reasonably accurate version of the 1930's Scotch Goods service. The Parkside 'DX' contain kit looks lovely but sadly only available in 4mm scale; I think I'll have to have a go at designing my own version of that!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
Happy 2019 everyone!

While I've posted these on my C&W works thread, I thought I'd share them here too as they are (mainly) NGS kits.

One half of kit 18 representing a dia. 1664 LMS van. I've used the Peco 9' wheelbase chassis supplied with the kit as it is quite a nice moulding. This was made up in the closing hours of 2018 as my final project of the year.

The other half of kit 18 representing a dia. 1897 LMS van. I've not used the Peco 10' wheelbase chassis for this one as I feel it is a bit dated and the 2mm Association do a correct LMS etched chassis kit for this particular van. The other wagon is a Parkside LNER 'Loco' coal wagon which will also end up under an etched chassis but because I've struggled to get the Parkside chassis running properly in the past.

A couple of Midland vans (kit 3) temporarily mounted on the supplied Peco 10' wheelbase chassis. I may, or may not, replace the chassis depending if I can find something suitable in the 2mm Association catalog.

Some great kits which went together well and quickly. I'd also like to point out that my criticism of the Peco 10' wheelbase chassis is nothing to do with the NGS, just that it is a very old Peco product that is (in my opinion) beginning to show its age.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
I'd also like to point out that my criticism of the Peco 10' wheelbase chassis is nothing to do with the NGS, just that it is a very old Peco product that is (in my opinion) beginning to show its age.
Fair comment as far as I'm concerned Steve.  :thumbsup:
I've a couple of wagon bodies now on their third chassis...
Very old Farish bodies that originally had flat brake gear that didn't line up with the wheels and useless flat-topped couplings. Transplanted onto the afore-mentioned Peco chassis which were much better and had the option of wood or steel solebars. More recently transplanted again onto latest generation Farish chassis.

Shows how time moves on and things evolve...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 10:51:54 PM »
Fair comment as far as I'm concerned Steve.  :thumbsup:
I've a couple of wagon bodies now on their third chassis...
Very old Farish bodies that originally had flat brake gear that didn't line up with the wheels and useless flat-topped couplings. Transplanted onto the afore-mentioned Peco chassis which were much better and had the option of wood or steel solebars. More recently transplanted again onto latest generation Farish chassis.

Shows how time moves on and things evolve...

Thanks PLD,

It was actually the old Farish vans that started me on this subjective (controversial?) approach as well. However it was the release of the modern Farish LNER vans with their correct chassis that jarred with the older vans and their generic chassis. I've been slowly converting cheaply obtained old style LNER vans which, other than the chassis, are not a bad representation of the 1930s builds.

On the right is a unmodified van while the two on the left have had 2mm etched 10' wheelbase LNER chassis fitted (with N gauge wheels on converter axles). They've also been Repainted but I've still got to add the brake pipes and weather them. Also, as these wagons form part of a fixed rake, I've added simple, non-operating, hook and loop couplings. Even with the replacement chassis and repaint, they've still worked out at around two thirds of the price of a modern Farish LNER van and I personally think the difference is worth the effort.

Unfortunately this N gauge version of the chassis has been withdrawn and the standard 2mm scale version is too short to use. I've got a couple of chassis left but six more of these vans to convert so I think I'll have to design my own version of the etch to finish them all.

Apologies as this post contains nothing about the NGS kits other than to mention that I should have a couple of LMS chassis etches to finish the LMS vans shortly.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here