!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann "Twin" locos with analogue controllers?  (Read 176 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Fleischmann "Twin" locos with analogue controllers?
« on: November 24, 2018, 06:13:40 AM »
Having trouble working this one out - will Fleischmann locos with their "Twin" configuration (DCC and the older FMZ thingy) work on bog standard analogue?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
Re: Fleischmann "Twin" locos with analogue controllers?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
Having trouble working this one out - will Fleischmann locos with their "Twin" configuration (DCC and the older FMZ thingy) work on bog standard analogue?

My DCC Fleischmann DB101 which is about 10 years old "worked" on analogue (except it lurched forwards and the lights didn't work).

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »

My DCC Fleischmann DB101 which is about 10 years old "worked" on analogue (except it lurched forwards and the lights didn't work).

But was that with the DCC chip installed?

What I want to know is whether the models with the "Twin" technology can have the digital bits neutralised, e.g. by fitting a DCC blanking chip, so they run as standard DC analogue models.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »

What I want to know is whether the models with the "Twin" technology can have the digital bits neutralised, e.g. by fitting a DCC blanking chip, so they run as standard DC analogue models.

It did have a DCC chip but there's no mention in the blurb of 'Twin' tech.....

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »

It did have a DCC chip but there's no mention in the blurb of 'Twin' tech.....

It's presumably too new, the "Twin" thing appears to have been a transition between Fleischmann's 1980's era FMZ technology and DCC.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
Initially I'd have thought too early to have a standard NEM socket and ability to simply swap in a DC blanking plate, but on the other hand 6839 decoder seems to have had a wire harness to a 6 pin plug, and there was also a direct plug model 6858

It is a good question as the whether the old twin-digital stuff will respond to plain DC.  As far as I can work out from the CV list for the N decoders 6839 and 6859, the usual CV29 bit 2 is supported to enable analog operation (unlike some of the HO decoders where it's fixed as off)

See here  https://www.fleischmann.de/uploads/Unternehmen/2/Relaunch_Website/Technik-Info_Anschliessen_Fahren_Programmieren_mit_TC.pdf
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:29:23 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything