!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Desert Island Trains  (Read 871 times)

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
Re: Desert Island Trains
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »
I would choose the VSOE train with full train staff to wait on me and a stocked bar coach so I can have a beer.
I'd add a flat bed wagon with a terracotta tiled deck and paddling pool so I could enjoy the sun and dip my toes whilst on the move. I would also add a coach full of cheerleaders to keep me company and to help me apply sun tan cream ;)
All pulled by a British Rail class 60 because I love the locos of this class so much!!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
If there are Island railway Rules and Regulations then I would have to pick some sort of luxury train from South East Asia or South America (if there are any) as there's a good chance I'd be able to smoke on board  :D.

If not, I'll have a rethink.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »
……………………………..Mine would be an Intercity 125 in the original blue/white livery, as the aesthetics of the train by designer Kenneth Grange perfectly match the graphic livery. …………………………………………..

Great choice Matt. The best train we have had in this country for many a year.

Here's a pic I took at Liskeard in September of the HST power car that carries the name of the great man.

John

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 09:24:08 PM »
there's a good chance I'd be able to smoke on board  :D.

Yes, there would have to be a smoking carriage, or at least a smoking compartment. But, if the island only has skeletons, there would be nobody to grass me up, so, thinking about it, it would not matter.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »
……………………………..Mine would be an Intercity 125 in the original blue/white livery, as the aesthetics of the train by designer Kenneth Grange perfectly match the graphic livery. …………………………………………..

Great choice Matt. The best train we have had in this country for many a year.

Here's a pic I took at Liskeard in September of the HST power car that carries the name of the great man.

Love the photo, thanks for that! Yes I saw this loco a couple of times at Paddington, really glad they applied the retro livery and the name of the great man!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
I would choose the VSOE train with full train staff to wait on me and a stocked bar coach so I can have a beer.
I'd add a flat bed wagon with a terracotta tiled deck and paddling pool so I could enjoy the sun and dip my toes whilst on the move. I would also add a coach full of cheerleaders to keep me company and to help me apply sun tan cream ;)
All pulled by a British Rail class 60 because I love the locos of this class so much!!

Ha ha I think you would probably not want to be rescued from your island by the sounds of it!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
If there are Island railway Rules and Regulations then I would have to pick some sort of luxury train from South East Asia or South America (if there are any) as there's a good chance I'd be able to smoke on board  :D.

If not, I'll have a rethink.

Cheers weave  :beers:

There's no other passengers who might be bothered about it, so you'd be free to smoke away!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
I’d go with a short 3 coach pullman train in chocolate and cream with a (very welll stocked) kitchen 1st,  1st class dining car and a sleeper.

Hauled by a green pannier tank.

Superb - I'm picturing very Jeeves and Wooster style Art Deco decadence!
And a very civilised glass of port at five o’clock in the afternoon I think.
“As you wish Sir”.

I think a tipple of port would be very much in order in that context!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
What an incredibly difficult question!  Those of us afflicted with the love of trains from all over the world will I'm sure have trouble choosing!

For me I guess its a toss up between the Rhinegold, or the 20th Century Ltd pulled by a Dreyfus styled j3a

Would we get to try our hand at driving :)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
What an incredibly difficult question!  Those of us afflicted with the love of trains from all over the world will I'm sure have trouble choosing!

For me I guess its a toss up between the Rhinegold, or the 20th Century Ltd pulled by a Dreyfus styled j3a

Would we get to try our hand at driving :)

Yes, you are definitely allowed to drive! Wow that 20th Century Ltd looks amazing, I had not seen it before. It has a Dan Dare look to it!

Cheers
Matt :thumbsup:

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
Its easy to forget that the US led the world in industrial design in the 20s and 30s, you should also check out the Pennsylvania Railroads T1 and S1 locomotives, that where styled by Raymond Loewy (also the classic coke bottle designer I believe!) if you want to see futuristic! (not continental though so back to Europe!)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
Its easy to forget that the US led the world in industrial design in the 20s and 30s, you should also check out the Pennsylvania Railroads T1 and S1 locomotives, that where styled by Raymond Loewy (also the classic coke bottle designer I believe!) if you want to see futuristic! (not continental though so back to Europe!)

Very impressive modernist loco designs, which would not look out of place in Fritz Lang's 1927 film 'Metropolis'!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »
great film!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00