!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Service intervals  (Read 224 times)

Offline JJS

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Service intervals
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
  ???
Whereas (full size) cars state service intervals in either miles and/or months old, I have yet to find out how often in terms of age (including stored in a box) or running time hours what is the recommended intervals for servicing n gauge loco's. What would members recommend?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Service intervals
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
Depends how often/long you run your locos.  To be honest, when it needs it a loco will let you know. 

Dry high speed bearings make a screeching sound. Other than that it's best not to over-lube.

Listen out for the clicking of split gears.

Clean wheels, pickups etc. when the loco is getting jerky on clean track.

Before an exhibition I do try and check over every loco that's coming with me; give it a spin round the test track, examine for fluff and broken/loose bits, clean the wheels, a very light lube if I know I've not done that for several months to a year on that particular model. 

If I have time I also clean stock wheels before a show.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »
I have a little 'Service/Run' slip tucked in with the loco that lists the date run and a Y/N to show if it was oiled.

I'm quite often surprised when I look at the last run date.  :)

Dave G

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
I think Farish state 24 hrs running for theirs and Dapol 50 hrs. My Rocrail software that I use to run my trains keeps track of running hours and flashes up a note when it’s time to have a look / relubricate, though sometimes I don’t think they need it and I leave them.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The number of locos I've repaired due to over-oiling is colossal - so my simple advice would echo Nick's - wait until it's necessary.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
Coming from the world of maintenance engineering I can tell you that the method of conducting maintenance periodically whilst not taking into account of actual usage hours/condition is quite a dated principle and can actually, as previously noted, be the cause of failures. You could run a maintenance diary as stated above with when last run and oiled etc in conjunction with obvious signs such a how it sounds compared to usual and visual inspections (which wont cause any damage to the working parts).

For example, I still have a couple poole era GF loco's that I haven't run since I was still in school, I gave them a run the other day and even though the motor is crude compared to today's standards they still worked well and sound as I'd expect them to so after visual inspection I decided to clean off the 20 year old oil where I could and apply a dash of new oil. There really isn't a set schedule as such.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything