!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crowfunding a Ransomes & Rapier 45 ton breakdown crane  (Read 1126 times)

Offline CeeDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5712
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Crowfunding a Ransomes & Rapier 45 ton breakdown crane
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
Here's a crowfunding project for a vehicle which has had a enormous longevity - if you consider  crane DS1580. This vehicle is appropriate for layouts based on the Southern Railway, BR (SR) and later. It still does fine service on the Mid Hants (preserved) Railway. 

I see Bachmann have a OO model in the wings but what is the likelyhood of them producing an N gauge model? 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:38:03 PM by CeeDee »

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
Re: Crowfunding a Ransomes & Rapier 45 ton breakdown crane
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »
zero likelihood based on the response I got when I asked their guys at  shows!

Best wishes
Simon

Offline CeeDee

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
Aha!  All is not lost.

Although Bachmann are marketing a OO gauge R&R crane, it appears that Osborns Models should have their N gauge version ready by Christmas! It sounds pretty good from what one of their guys described to me today.  This would make a great over-Xmas project.   

Check out
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/great-western-replicas--aln100--reay-to-run-gwr-ransom-rapier-crane-43811-p.asp
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:20:33 PM by CeeDee »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »
Although obviously only a pre production sample the picture looks like it's been carved from balsa wood!

Im currently hacking the Gem Fleetline crane about to try to make it more prototypical which is a mission but their decision to make it RTR they claim 3d printing has eliminated 135 parts. All well and good but the sample pic doesn't appear to be any more detailed then the GEM white metal and presumably instead of a lump of metal with mouldings this will be a lump of plastic.

I really want a fully detailed R R crane for our layout which 3d printing should allow but as yet it seems no better then what was available for 3 times the money.

I will get mine in primer this weekend and she can be revealed to the forum for judgement.

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
Although obviously only a pre production sample the picture looks like it's been carved from balsa wood!

Im currently hacking the Gem Fleetline crane about to try to make it more prototypical which is a mission but their decision to make it RTR they claim 3d printing has eliminated 135 parts. All well and good but the sample pic doesn't appear to be any more detailed then the GEM white metal and presumably instead of a lump of metal with mouldings this will be a lump of plastic.

I really want a fully detailed R R crane for our layout which 3d printing should allow but as yet it seems no better then what was available for 3 times the money.

I will get mine in primer this weekend and she can be revealed to the forum for judgement.

That is very harsh, it in no way looks like it has been carved out of a lump of balsa wood and I would suggest it is a significant improvement on the Gem kit.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »

Read my first sentence, I clearly refer to it as a preproduction sample. The   weight relieving bogies have no more detail then Gem. And if 135 parts have been moulded then no full relief is actually detailed. The jib and chassis are lumpy. And still no cab doors or detail

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
The shots on Osborne's website are of raw prints and if you know anything about prepping and painting 3D prints the result will be dramatically better, for those who know how to paint printed plastics. 

The photos are of a prototype built to test size not a modellers build.  I have seen it, handled it and spoken to its designer.

I think this is where the issue lies.  I and others can paint a 3D print to RTR standards and add a similar level of detail, but it takes time and effort and is beyond the skills of many if not most, as we are out of practice because we have been spoilt with the choice of RTR. 

So in the absence of an RTR model however you either build one or go without.

As far as wooden models are concerned, those of us who are old enough to have built Aero-models in balsa will recall a simple solution to wood grain - Sanding Sealer.  It still works 40 years later :D

As a general comment I am very pleased by the number of new manufacturers and kits available in N.  there has been nothing like it since the 1970's and it is very welcome.

BTW Osborne's are doing a 2 for 1 promotion on their laser kits today. :thumbsup:

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »

Read my first sentence, I clearly refer to it as a preproduction sample. The   weight relieving bogies have no more detail then Gem. And if 135 parts have been moulded then no full relief is actually detailed. The jib and chassis are lumpy. And still no cab doors or detail

this was built to check dimensions and no attempt to give it any fine finish was made.

Offline CeeDee

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
If anyone remembers or indeed like me, owns one, the original  white metal kit weighs an absolute ton and I found only a Union mills loco can realistically and reliably pull it and associated rolling stock round my layout. Now if the Osborns's model is lighter, even if the production model does  have a few warts and lacks some detail, it must make a far better starting point for super detailing than the Fleetline/Gem kit does. 

Personally, I can't wait to begin detailing this model into the Exmouth Junction DS1580.

Perhaps instead of slagging off a company's efforts BEFORE(!) their offering comes to market, we should be encouraging their commitment. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:54:45 PM by CeeDee »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
Which I have made clear.

A PREPRODUCTION SAMPLE

I never suggested it was a finished product, my concern is with removing 135 parts then too much relief gets lost and we end up with something no better then has been build and sold before.

A fully detailed RR crane features highly on requests for a RTR model and IF i was the company developing it i would want every last detail possible knowing that is what most want from their models today.

I really hope it is truly magnificent finished model because I'll be straight out to get myself one.

Too many assume straight away that criticism is cited in a hatred way. I started my post with the description of the model i criticised

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
Which I have made clear.

A PREPRODUCTION SAMPLE

I never suggested it was a finished product, my concern is with removing 135 parts then too much relief gets lost and we end up with something no better then has been build and sold before.

A fully detailed RR crane features highly on requests for a RTR model and IF i was the company developing it i would want every last detail possible knowing that is what most want from their models today.

I really hope it is truly magnificent finished model because I'll be straight out to get myself one.

Too many assume straight away that criticism is cited in a hatred way. I started my post with the description of the model i criticised

As I understood the designer no detail is being lost by 3D printing.  the problem was some parts were so small they were impossible to make properly in laser-cut.

The wood grain was larger than some of the detail :goggleeyes:

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »

[/quote]
As I understood the designer no detail is being lost by 3D printing.  the problem was some parts were so small they were impossible to make properly in laser-cut.

[/quote]

So presumably the sample is laser cut balsa hence the wood grain?
Do they have any pictures of the actual model they will finally release??

Obviously there has been a delay with converting from a kit form to RTR so do we know when they will be released??

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:39:55 PM »

[/quote]

So presumably the sample is laser cut balsa hence the wood grain?
Do they have any pictures of the actual model they will finally release??

Obviously there has been a delay with converting from a kit form to RTR so do we know when they will be released??
[/quote]

I think it was 1mm laser ply but equally bad.  If you go down the page you will see the first test prints of the crane bogie frame.  these I think are in resin type which is very cheap and not that refined but good for testing the CAD, however their shunter's truck model is made in the same material and it came out very well so its just a case of adjusting the CAD.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
 :hmmm:

Next Christmas gift then. I'm guessing its not a crowdfunded model so will be released as a proper model to the masses with hopefully a run of considerable numbers

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 04:57:47 AM »
Looking good.
On the web page it has:
"Delayed due to decision to manufacture some parts as 3D printed to simplify** construction to offer the cranes etc as Read to Run.
. Estimated availability now Nov 2018."

Does that mean it has been delayed until after Nov 2018 or until Nov 2018?  I suspect the former.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything