!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first project: Continental railway based on Fleischmann track plan  (Read 265 times)

Offline Dawei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28118
    • Instagram
    • Awards
I've finally begun to build my first model railway layout, a continental railway based on a Fleischmann track plan. The layout uses Fleischmann set tracks with bedding, which are very easy to use but definitely not cheap!

The layout is about 160 cm by 85 cm, which can just about to fit the bay window area in my bedroom. I deliberately went for a slightly more complicated track plan consisting of two layers, a double O-shaped loops on the lower level connected with an 8-shaped loop on the higher level. Let's see whether I can pull this one off!

I shall periodically post my progress at the forum, and would love to hear any comments or feedbacks.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: My first project: Continental railway based on Fleischmann track plan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
There's some good play value in that plan.  You'll enjoy building it, keep us posted with progress pictures?!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dawei

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
The tracks have finally arrived and I spent the whole weekend laying tracks for the lower level loops. I'm a bit nervous about not laying the tracks properly (a lesson told by many experienced modellers), so I kept testing them using my two trusted locomotives. The BR 204 seems to be struggling with a couple of points or crossovers, but the BR 110 runs perfecting. Does this suggest that it is due to the locomotive itself rather than the tracks?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
Well you'd expect Fleischmann locos to run nicely through their own track system.  What sort of struggling - is the loco stalling or derailing?

I ran a quick google about the Hohenstein layout, just to see if there are any photos of other peoples'  builds.  I found a forum post where one guy was struggling with matching/joining up the curves on the left hand side, and other posters saying that's not helped by the nearby double-slips being not quite the same angle as the normal points.   Anyway, see how you get on....?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dawei

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
Well you'd expect Fleischmann locos to run nicely through their own track system.  What sort of struggling - is the loco stalling or derailing?

I ran a quick google about the Hohenstein layout, just to see if there are any photos of other peoples'  builds.  I found a forum post where one guy was struggling with matching/joining up the curves on the left hand side, and other posters saying that's not helped by the nearby double-slips being not quite the same angle as the normal points.   Anyway, see how you get on....?

Thank you for the response! The locomotive is a bit jerky on straight tracks, and stalls sometimes at points. However, this only happens to one loco (BR 204) but not the other (BR110).

I already noticed the issue with the tracks struggling to join up. You would imagine that Fleischmann actually tried these layouts if they decide to publish them in their our catalogue, but they probably only did these in a software, which is not always a reflection of what happens in the real world!

I'm using the extendable track (product code 9110) to address this issue, which seems to be working. Also some of the more tricky curves are using a lot of short tracks, which I'm considering replacing with flexible tracks. Will report back on how I get on.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »
The locomotive is a bit jerky on straight tracks, and stalls sometimes at points. However, this only happens to one loco (BR 204) but not the other (BR110).

I suppose the obvious first suggestion is the loco needs a wheel clean?   Also worth checking all wheels on both bogies are picking up. Just occasionally the pickup transfer between bogie and chassis is not conducting, even on a brand new loco.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
The tracks have finally arrived and I spent the whole weekend laying tracks for the lower level loops. I'm a bit nervous about not laying the tracks properly (a lesson told by many experienced modellers), so I kept testing them using my two trusted locomotives. The BR 204 seems to be struggling with a couple of points or crossovers, but the BR 110 runs perfecting. Does this suggest that it is due to the locomotive itself rather than the tracks?

It's quite a lot of track (therefore lots of resistance), you probably need a bus wire and to feed it with power from a few locations?

Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »
It's quite a lot of track (therefore lots of resistance), you probably need a bus wire and to feed it with power from a few locations?

Matt

It's not actually that large a layout. It has 3 circuits, the longest run being the bi-level section.    However those 3 circuits do need to be connected up to one DCC output, and a few additional feeds would help reliability so a central core bus would be a good idea.  Personally I wouldn't go so far as to worry about droppers at every join, but I would minimise the number of joints by using flexi track where practical.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:57:56 AM »
I know half of nothing about that track system but I know for a fact brand new Peco track often requires a clean before use. Try the simple solutions first before turning to the locos.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
I used Fleischmann track on an old layout that I never finished. I certainly like the double slips and the curved points that you can get with this system.

It's a shame it can't be mixed easily with the Kato track I'm now using....
Gizzy

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
It's a shame Fleischmann offer such a small choice of radii.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything