!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout  (Read 1173 times)

Online DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 01:29:09 PM »
Firstly I hope you all had a nice Christmas break and got some fun with the modelling if you had any spare time!

AT LAST, I have now made some progress on the layout over the Christmas holidays and built a frame, mounted on battens, that will hold the layout slightly away from the wall and then can be folded up or down.

Step one - get the battens and cantilevers up with some chunky angle brackets:

Step two - fit the cross beam, sits on the cantilevers, this will hold the weight of the board and provide the support for the hinges...here you see it passing it's first load test! 

(The second load test was to have a 50+kg son lie down on the beam and it took that too!)

Step three - now I am fitting 2x1 inch battens roughly every 12-14 inches across the baseboard to provide support (this is all about face and being retro-fitted as originally the layout, dear reader, was going on to a table top).

Next step - I'll fit a few diagonal braces in 2x1 also to provide stiffness and ensure no twisting! (Allows me to play with a borrowed Mitre saw for a bit).

Once this is all done and ready, I am going to attempt to position the board up against the beam that you see in the pictures. The board edge has a long plank on one side that I think will hold the weight of the board, and I will screw this to the beam using six heavy duty ball bearing hinges designed to hold fire doors (which are pretty heavy) so should do the job.

I also need to build some fold down legs for the board, I will show you progress over the break as I get on! I've also ordered a pulley system with counterweights (designed for sash windows) so that it will ease the lifting and lowering of the board.

More pictures soon. Happy New Year to you all!  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:31:35 PM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: fixed a typo »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
I always fit the cross battens when I know where the points will be above as, if fitting under board point motors, there's nowt so infuriating as finding a batten just where you want the motor to go.
Don't ask how I know :no:

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
I always fit the cross battens when I know where the points will be above as, if fitting under board point motors, there's nowt so infuriating as finding a batten just where you want the motor to go.

Thanks NPN - an excellent tip, I will mark crosses on the back of the baseboard with a marker pen where I PM's might go, THEN fix the battens! Good advice as ever.

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Hoorah - Some real progress over the Christmas break!

So after Christmas festivities I managed to get some cross braces put on the board (it’s heavy chipboard but that was legacy from the table top idea of the past) using 1x2 timber across and diagonal.

I then got the legs on and lo and behold a level railway in both directions! (Happy camper)

However, after a few days I notice a bit of bending of the 1x2 timbers due to the weight of the stuff above, so enhance this with some 5*3/4inch boards around all the edges of the board, to provide stiffness – this did the trick without being too heavy – and some 90 degree metal support to hold it all together. No way now that was going to bend!

So now, I have the railway on the wall and it folds up neatly. I put in a batten each side with a felt pad so it can lean against the back wall, and put some bolts on it, so it won’t move accidentally!

Now to do:
1 – reposition the legs slightly so they fold down completely flat within frame (ooops!)
2 – add some counterweights (I bought some steel sash window weights to counterweight the board, this will make lifting it easier).

You’ll see this in coming posts! But I have a business trip to India next week, so won’t be back online for a bit…

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »
That should withstand a direct hit from a Cruise missile and, after lowering/raising it a few times I can imagine you'll be entering for 'The World's Strongest Man'. ;)
However, it all looks hugely impressive in that second pic and I look forward to seeing more.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »
Everything he said.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
The next logic step would be to add some hinges at the top of the wall and add a box to it.

When the layout is folded down that box is folded up and contains the lights. When the layout is folded up, the box is lowered and protects the layout from dust. Plus a nice piece of art on the box to "hide" on the box ... to keep the govenrment happy...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
The next logic step would be to add some hinges at the top of the wall and add a box to it.

When the layout is folded down that box is folded up and contains the lights. When the layout is folded up, the box is lowered and protects the layout from dust. Plus a nice piece of art on the box to "hide" on the box ... to keep the govenrment happy...

@AlexanderJesse  - I was thinking along those lines. I like the box idea but can't hinge it from the top of the wall as there is a light fitting it will hit in the middle of the ceiling. However, what I am contemplating is a box arrangement with roller blind as shown in the picture below. I reckon if I have a 15cm clearance at the top for a pelmet I can fit in a roller blind and hide some nice spotlights in there. Would you go for mains powered LED flood beams? Warm white?

(I haven't shown the underside of the box in this drawing but will rig something up, maybe a hinged access panel so I can pop up in there behind the layout and do some track cleaning if I need to.)

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
I was thinking about a box because of the dust-protection that it would give.

About the lighting... Maybe a mix might be the way to go...

For detail work cold white might be better
For running the layout warm white is preferrably because it is more pleasing for the eyes.
For special photographs a programmable RGB might be interesting as it would allow you the create special effects

But I must confess: I have no experience with the light-aspects for layouts. These are just the thoughts I would consider for a layout.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
June Donations

Advertise Here