!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout  (Read 491 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:57:09 PM »
OK folks, it's time to start a thread and get your advice as construction starts in earnest.

I've built a base board that was originally to go on a table top but I now need to convert to a folding, wall mounted design. So I need to do two things:
1) Brace the baseboard with some frames to give it rigidity (I'll research the other topics on the Forum to get tips here,  then post some pictures and diagrams of what I'm planning); and
2) Create the tilting mechanism.

For the latter, I built a model in Meccano  - see the video: https://youtu.be/688-0mB1jv4 This shows how it should fold up and down.

I have now drawn up some plans (side on) for how big this would be in real life, and am about to source the bits I need (bearings, pivots). I think I might build this in wood as I won't have access to any welding gear! 

I envisage building a frame in timber, which I can then box in with some pretty oak veneer, and is screwed solidly to a wall on the left side. The long black arms at the top of the diagram connect from a central pivot at top of the frame to a pivot point on the layout, and they hold the weight. The arms shown red, at the bottom of the diagram, pivot at the bottom of the frame and are connected to the back of the layout. This should make the folding up and down nice and smooth. I anticipate perhaps I'll need some folding legs at the front also to hold the layout in position and for stability. I'll probably need some counterweights somehow, perhaps pulleys and weights on wires? I'm open to ideas!

The right hand diagram show dimensions in millimetres using a free CAD program (Solid Edge 2D). The left hand diagram shows different positions of the layout baseboard as it folds- this should all make sense if you see the video. 

All suggestions welcome. I'll add more photos and diagrams as I proceed.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:06:13 AM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: more text added. »

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 12:48:35 AM »
The problem you will have is that its fine in 2D but in 3D if the two sides are not exactly aligned when you move it it will immediately twist and sheer or jam.

Can I recommend a rope on both sides pulling up together to move it and better still wind them simultaneously with a hoist removing the need for a counter balance.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
My immediate thought was something along the lines of a folding chair. We have wooded garden chairs that fold quite well for storage ... a bit of research on google might give you some ideas?

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
Wow! That mechanical stuff is scary!

I think that Snowwolflair is correct - you need to be sure that the baseboard is rigid enough, and/or the two side mechanisms work in perfect harmony. Rigidity will only come with a deeper framework - ply girders? On the up side, fantastic access to the underside of the baseboard. I have a stiff neck from lying under mine, trying to wire up the droppers and point motors!

:beers:

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:42 AM »
No chance to put 4 pulleys into the ceiling and hoist the layout into the air, when you need the space it usually occupies?
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »
No chance to put 4 pulleys into the ceiling and hoist the layout into the air, when you need the space it usually occupies?

Haha - that's what I had when I was a young lad in the 70s, I had a 6x4 N layout that hoisted up to the ceiling. Still got the pulleys somewhere.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »
The problem you will have is that its fine in 2D but in 3D if the two sides are not exactly aligned when you move it it will immediately twist and sheer or jam.

Can I recommend a rope on both sides pulling up together to move it and better still wind them simultaneously with a hoist removing the need for a counter balance.

Snowwolflair - Very good point about the twisting and jamming, so yes a hoist seems an excellent plan. I will try and draw this out tonight (working today but Wednesday-Friday on holiday so I can put in some hours on the build).

StuartDownUnder - I agree, I think I need a stiff frame and had some ideas about the support arms which I will draw up also tonight and see what you think.

AlexanderJesse &  ntpntpntp - Sadly the pulleys and "raise to the ceiling" idea is out as it is our main hallway where the layout is housed. It has to fold up onto a cupboard on the wall. (Although that would have been much easier!)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
Strong and rigid does not mean weight, think box girder bridge.  A very strong layout can be made with 5mm ply if it is cross braced.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
Personnally | think you've gone too complicated, a simple bottom hinge with support stays to the top would do.

Mind you I think It should be built, Diagon alley...
Cloak, broomstick ... gone...

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
Personnally | think you've gone too complicated, a simple bottom hinge with support stays to the top would do.

Mind you I think It should be built, Diagon alley...
Cloak, broomstick ... gone...

I would say so too...

bottom hinges... and pulleys from the top to lift the layout. More stability, because you can use several hinges on the "lower" edge.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
I would use a piano hinge on it
A pack of 10 1Metre piano hinges from Tool station is under £20

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Personnally | think you've gone too complicated

I was thinking the same but there's nothing wrong with that if you enjoy an engineering challenge.

To the OP; have you considered something "off the shelf"? I'm not suggesting this specific one but there's lots of options if you can find something close to your required dimensions.

This one is from a site called www.shaperinage.com but there are lots of others and this particular one seems quite expensive.

edit: I've just spotted the dimension on your original post so it may be a bit big for off the shelf.... worth seeing how they work though? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:27:45 PM by Pjlons83 »
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:12:41 AM »

bottom hinges... and pulleys from the top to lift the layout. More stability, because you can use several hinges on the "lower" edge.

I have seen the light - I put the hinged idea to Mrs DarrWest and she likes the idea of a box on the wall , raised off the ground, so we can get to the floor. We do have enough room to do a simple box hinged at the back edge of the layout. It will still need to stand clear of the back wall by about 30cm to allow for scenery etc so I will need to put a sturdy frame together, that is solidly fixed to the wall (it is brick, thankfully, not plasterboard). I'll knock up some diagrams tomorrow for this proposed frame. In the meantime you can see the size of the hallway and layout in these pictures.

The snooker cues markout the width it would be....as a rough guide. I just need to decide what height I should have the baseboard off the floor. I am thinking perhaps 84cm /33 inches - 92cm / 36 inches from floor to top of baseboard.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:21:15 AM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: updated text »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Sorry not been on lately to update progress, got very busy at work, but more news and pictures soon!

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:48 AM »
Yes, as a retired bloke, I really don't know how I had time to go to work!  :confused2:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything