!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 4380 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
Thank you Mick @Newportnobby and @Allen - I am really looking forward to getting this running.

Today's little problem, I have run out of track pins! So no track laying today.

That spared me a bit of time to do more planning this evening. I really like LONG coal trains (all the rage in the 1960s) and wanted to find a way to put in a coal siding, then came up with the idea of a siding with weigh station and some coal chutes that I can argue lead to an basement coal depot under KX station (plausible?). I have a couple of spare points so this works out.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:31:58 PM by DarrwestLU6 »
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2020, 10:56:55 PM »
Looks good. Now Edmonds, chegwin, john craven, Maggie Philbin. Ah plan looks good. The windcutter train the example im thinking of with a coaling stage. Scalescenes  , scenecraft, osbornes all have a good range

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »

Today's little problem, I have run out of track pins! So no track laying today. But Chris and I are going to do a bit of "swap shop" (anyone out there remember this TV show) he has some spare track pins for me, I have some spare ballast for him!

Hi Darren, I can swap you a bag of PECO SL-14 track pins for 26 cobalt point motors if you have any spare  :hmmm:

Hoping in massive anticipation  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »

Today's little problem, I have run out of track pins! So no track laying today. But Chris and I are going to do a bit of "swap shop" (anyone out there remember this TV show) he has some spare track pins for me, I have some spare ballast for him!

Don't forget social distancing. I wonder which hurts most when hurled from 2 metres - track pins or N gauge ballast :hmmm: :D

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
No we remember. I prefer to call it the 2m  apart rule. Theres a wall to place items and stand back . Cannot remember how long ago I stood in the cricket team slips. A long time ago. Pins hurt the hands ballast goes everywhere if dropped

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »
Onwards and upwards!

Here's today's question. I am building a plug and socket so I can quickly and easily connect my controller to the layout (14 wires into one simple socket). in the picture, the female socket, on the left, I can mount on the layout in a slot, flush mounted, so that's easy. But the male plug, (on the right) I need to build some kind of small stub like housing to put around it and the wires. I am thinking I might need to mount it on a small plastic box, tin or something similar. I can wrap all the wires in a cable tidy, but for the enclosure, I'm scratching my head to think of what might work. Some readily accessible household item....This is a closeup photo but the size is 35mm  x 10mm face size to give you an idea. 

Any suggestions folks?

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
Depends where your siting this eg placing on the layout ? Under a signal box ? Plate layers hut ?

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »
It will be mounted on the edge panel of the layout (not on the layout itself).

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
On the side of the board ?

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
Onwards and upwards!

Here's today's question. I am building a plug and socket so I can quickly and easily connect my controller to the layout (14 wires into one simple socket). in the picture, the female socket, on the left, I can mount on the layout in a slot, flush mounted, so that's easy. But the male plug, (on the right) I need to build some kind of small stub like housing to put around it and the wires. I am thinking I might need to mount it on a small plastic box, tin or something similar. I can wrap all the wires in a cable tidy, but for the enclosure, I'm scratching my head to think of what might work. Some readily accessible household item....This is a closeup photo but the size is 35mm  x 10mm face size to give you an idea. 

Any suggestions folks?

Hi Darren,

How about one of those lawn mower type plugs with the innards removed?

Something like this https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwji9ZPGl_DoAhVDsO0KHWDEB6kYABAGGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQOD2bRd_zP0inv6aOvwhhf2lJlcZkFVOgZiVF-GopUSKf8ierIo0fy4YGn6BqHSUb0cL0SV_yxNNyjUZGbACzCo&sig=AOD64_3MUVRr49Mr_OcNfo5nXGMsmr7PlA&ctype=46&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiToonGl_DoAhVORRUIHR24BxcQ9aACegQIDBA9&adurl=

You could then epoxy your plug and socket in each end and leave the female end as a trailing lead and just hook up / unplug when you want to?

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
Derek - now that is an excellent idea, I will see what I can find online.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2020, 08:38:07 PM »
Banana plug ?

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
Sunday afternoon was spent on layout building, and very relaxing it was too!

I  purchased some time ago a traverser and glued down tracks - about 40 inches long, managed to get nine tracks on there within the degree of travel.  It sits on a portable picnic table, that folds up flat, then I can store both table and traverser away when the layout if folded up. The fiddle yard sits to the right of the layout and will be hidden behind the right hand backscene.

Today's challenge was to connect it via a removable quarter circle of track - aligned with dowelling and latched down with brass catches - and I built a spur off the back hidden siding to connect this to the layout. Of course (thanks to the guidance of @Newportnobby) I remembered to add a guard from some offcuts of hardboard - so stock does not fall of the back!

Here you can see the work done. I glued the track down on the connecting spur as it is sitting on a bed of hardboard, which is impossible to pin. So the screws you can see in the middle of the track are inserted just to hold the track down whilst the glue dries. I will remove them tomorrow, solder on some leads and then test it! In the bottom photo, you can see the hidden sidings and also the back of the "Upper Loop" built on a flyover, but will all be hidden behind a hill - once I have built it!

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2020, 04:18:08 AM »
Impressive waY to spend sunday afternoon. Looking good and just how long did that take ?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
Of course (thanks to the guidance of @Newportnobby) I remembered to add a guard from some offcuts of hardboard - so stock does not fall of the back!

Good man. (And still they scoff.)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal