!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 7195 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 04:59:39 PM »
Happy new year . How do you plan to build the scenic backdrop ? I am using battens with a board and a backscene glued on.

Happy New Year Chris! Yes, I think some hardboard with battens, and a backscene glued on, is the way to go. I might throw in some low relief factory buildings/warehouses with the ability to put some soft lighting in some of the windows as special effects for an evening scene.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 05:01:41 PM »
@DarrwestLU6
I may preach it but can't necessarily practice it owing to limited space :-[
(Fiddle yard right, what will be scenic side left)
https://flic.kr/p/2i7AHBW

Thanks Mick - the  clear perspex front is a good idea, I may well do that as a "wrap around" front and first foot or so of the front edge of my layout. I trust the conservatory is no longer misbehaving? It looks nice and clean and tidy in there from the photo!
Darren
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 05:56:59 PM »
Was thinking low relief arches , units to resemble businesses within the arches. Hedges hill layout springs to mind . Next week.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
Update
Back to my job today after the holidays, so no modelling time, but I did have time this evening to put up some photos of progress, and welcome any comments.

Lower level layout
Here's the diagram of the lower level of the layout:

Work is going on right now on the left hand side and bottom of this diagram to lay the points and track for the station approach, crossings, and loco servicing area, and some tweaks to the hidden sidings at the top of the diagram (which will be behind a backscene). There's also a point at the top of the diagram which links to an off baseboard fiddle yard - which I've not wired in yet, you'll see I've laid this out on a photo below so I know where to put it!

Method

I invested in a Dremel handheld tool a few months ago (for less than the price of a second hand loco) which can do cutting, grinding and reaming. Last week I bought for a few quid a set of 1mm thin cutting discs, these are very handing for cutting track in tight spots. Also shown - a cheap a set of the tracksetta tools and my trusty Peco track gauge. 75% of the points are down now, although I’m also retro-fitting point motors. I’m using flexi track between the point on some nice sweeping curves, being careful to make the minimum a 12inch radius. Depending on the section of track I might use one or two tracksettas on one curve and “blend”. Now more track is down, there’s not enough space for me to use a track cutting hand saw without the risk of nicking another rail with it, so I pin down the track and measure exactly where I need to cut the flexitrack for it to fit between each set of points, mark it with the Sharpie pen exactly where I need to cut it. I then unpin the track from the curve a bit, move the track away from the point then cut with the cutting disk. I use a fine fine to remove any burrs then pop on the rail joiners. I’m very pleased with the results so far and would recommend this approach, much better than my earlier efforts to lay smooth curves just by eye!

Electrics
I’m being careful to solder drop wires on underneath the track as I go along:

Hidden storage loops
Here’s a view from the left side of the layout. Here you get a peek of the “behind the scenes” hidden tracks to be – there will be a tunnel starting just to the left of the point at the bottom of the picture, into the backscene. The backscene will run roughly parallel with the left side edge. The left hand (back) edge of the layout will need an edge strip here to stop any stock falling off!

Upper Level work to do
Here you can see I decided to add in some catch points  at the entrance to the upper station, which is after a helix and incline, to stop any stock fouling the main line. I think I’ll need to cut these into place using the Dremel method, plus I need to wire in a dead section with some IRJ’s, and add another Dapol (working) home semaphore in line with the existing one.

Once I've got this lot down I'll post some panaramic shots of the layout so you can see more.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
All looking good. Will comment later / tomorrow. Are those the signals which i recommended ?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2020, 08:17:24 PM »
This is looking absolutely fabulous.

Great stuff!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2020, 08:52:24 PM »
@DarrwestLU6
I may preach it but can't necessarily practice it owing to limited space :-[
(Fiddle yard right, what will be scenic side left)
https://flic.kr/p/2i7AHBW

Thanks Mick - the  clear perspex front is a good idea, I may well do that as a "wrap around" front and first foot or so of the front edge of my layout. I trust the conservatory is no longer misbehaving? It looks nice and clean and tidy in there from the photo!
Darren

Hi Darren - the perspex is just some cheap plastic sheeting from the local builders merchant and it goes by the name of Liteglaze. I do actually have some decent proper stuff to apply when I'm further along with things. The conservatory is fine, thanks, but the polythene sheet I used to keep drips off the layout is still there and used as a dust sheet (must get my money's worth out of it :D)
Oh, and the photo is actually a video but you may have to wait for the 'play' button to come up.
Note the cameo appearance by Hookey at the end. He does like to get his fizzog in any film ::)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
All looking good. Will comment later / tomorrow. Are those the signals which i recommended ?

Chris - Sure are, I moved the ones in the wrong place and have a spare home semaphore now to put in the right place. I'll do a post of the plans for the coloured light signals later!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »
Hi Darren - the perspex is just some cheap plastic sheeting from the local builders merchant and it goes by the name of Liteglaze. I do actually have some decent proper stuff to apply when I'm further along with things. The conservatory is fine, thanks, but the polythene sheet I used to keep drips off the layout is still there and used as a dust sheet (must get my money's worth out of it :D)
Oh, and the photo is actually a video but you may have to wait for the 'play' button to come up.
Note the cameo appearance by Hookey at the end. He does like to get his fizzog in any film ::)

Hi Mick - yes I watched the video now in full and enjoyed the Cameo - he seems quite perturbed he can't get in to play trains!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:46 PM »
Cool.kernow are attending stevenage. They will have goodies. I also mark my points on plans and what line they cover eg down fast point A. Speak soon

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2020, 10:49:44 PM »
Hi everyone - just a quick note to say I survived the Philippines business trip, which was a bit exciting given the Mt. Taal Volcano 40km south of Manila blew up just as I arrived! We had planned to climb the crater, and go swim in the lake near the volcano, but decided to go further north instead for safety. Here's a few shots of the trip, as a slight digression from the layout building, hope you don't mind. 

First - Mount Taal erupted on 12 January forming a big cloud of ash and debris - just as I was arriving!

So we headed up north to higher and safer places:

With some nice beaches:

Then at the end of the week all was safe and back to downtown Manila:

And for those of you that worry about the wiring on your layouts, one last one – here is the local electricity supply!

Thank you for all your kind words and hope to see you at NGSE!
Darren

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Darren's excellent Philippines adventure!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 02:29:19 AM »
That's not fun that rats nest of wiring

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Hi everyone - just a quick note to say I survived the Philippines business trip

"business trip" ?

Any vacancies where you work ?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
Nice pics, Darren.
I'll try to make my wiring a little better than that!!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal