!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 7022 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
You should be using the wider gauge for set track radius curves. The locos should be OK but the carriages might foul each other.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
Good point graham
 Darren have you a wider gauge to hand ?

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
It's
Good point graham
 Darren have you a wider gauge to hand ?
It's the same gauge. The two closer lugs give adequate spacing for "streamline" and wider radius curves. The two wider lugs give adequate spacing down to 9" radius curves.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Graham
 Thanks you can see I just use old fashion methods with track, pencil and run a carriage and a loco and check clearances

Online DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
You should be using the wider gauge for set track radius curves. The locos should be OK but the carriages might foul each other.
Thanks Graham Iíll check all the curves using the wider lugs, and Iíll use the narrower pair for straights runs.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
Darren just caught up with this, that over roof will look fantastic and is presumably a very very good copy if Kings cross.

Have you got it yet??? Be great to see that coming together!!!!

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2020, 09:43:34 AM »
Darren just caught up with this, that over roof will look fantastic and is presumably a very very good copy if Kings cross.

Have you got it yet??? Be great to see that coming together!!!!

Yes it does look like KX doesnít it. I havenít ordered it yet but will do, they are laser cut to order.

I was busy yesterday attaching Peco point motors and switches to one of my slips - I figured there are complex bits of pointwork and fiddly so best dig a hole in the baseboard for these. Iím trying to avoid doing that for all points by using the motors with an extended pin and connect them underneath the board. So far Iíve connected the electro frog but then have the insulfrog one to do! I need to adjust the switches to so they are aligned correctly then tighten up.

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
That is mondays task

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Best of luck setting those switches up for Peco motors, I gave up the swear box was getting full. I like the station building canopy, I fitted my removable canopyís on my old layout using a similar idea ie using tube embedded in the platform.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
@lil chris - indeed they are fiddly little whatnots arenít they!

Just to help any modellers in future Iíve posted a little tutorial video on how I got them to work! See this video and thread: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=49702.0
I think I might go with PL-13 on the other insulfrog double slip - I donít need to switch any frogs just panel lights! They look a lot more robust!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:33:15 AM by DarrwestLU6 »

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
A little bit of progress over the weekend: I cut holes in the baseboard big enough to push through the point motors and attached micro switches:

That is messy business!

I then relaid the diamond crossing with plenty of space between the double tracks so that I won't get any problems with passing trains. This now has a lovely sweeping curve around the corner (will show you later once I have finished it all)....

There then ensued some furkling with the exact positioning of the double slip to make sure I could achieve nice smooth curves to the left side of the slip connecting with other point work (not too tight radius - checked out with odd bits of Setrack and/or tracksetta), and still line up with where I need it to go on the right hand side, and still be greater than the minimum clearance on my Peco track gauge.  I might need to chamfer a tiny bit off the turntable edge to provide a good clearance (7mm from the outside rail) but I can live with that. (The top left exit from the slip joins the track above it so there's no problem with that route being close to the track, there will never be two trains on those two tracks at the same time.)

Got there - Finally! See photo:

Lessons learnt: with complex trackwork keep checking the clearances and the radii of curves.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:04:14 AM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: corrected typo »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
Take it darren theres plenty of clearance to allow trains to pass safely ? Good job. Time to order the station roof. John dutfield probably has supplies  ken orders pretty quick.

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »
Take it darren theres plenty of clearance to allow trains to pass safely ? Good job. Time to order the station roof. John dutfield probably has supplies  ken orders pretty quick.

Yes, clearances should be fine, a bit more connecting up of the track to the left to do after work in the evenings this week and I think we are ready for a test run- that will be exciting. And ordering the station roof!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:07:43 AM by DarrwestLU6 »

Online DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2020, 11:09:58 AM »
I am now wondering what to do to fill the holes between board and point motor now the point motors are in position - perhaps some Das modelling clay? I can leave it in there overnight and it will set hard. I think I might also screw some supports under the point motors also so they don't wobble about.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »

Yes, clearances should be fine, a bit more connecting up of the track to the left to do after work in the evenings this week and I think we are ready for a test run- that will be exciting. And ordering the station roof!
ken at 01245 494455 for the roof. Go with other ideas given hor the station

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal